Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 376480 times)

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
A crane that inhabits our pond stood its ground today with the cows who dared wander too close.  I don't know if it had egg or chick in the reeds, but it typically flies to nearby trees when there's activity at the farm.

Tater took it in from the safety of the pontoon.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
A crane that inhabits our pond stood its ground today with the cows who dared wander too close.  I don't know if it had egg or chick in the reeds, but it typically flies to nearby trees when there's activity at the farm.

Tater took it in from the safety of the pontoon.

Tom

Pontoon Hound

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
My brother in law took this pick from the dock at my cabin in Northern MN last night. Their place is on the north side of the lake and had an obstructed view.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Wait, so is it your place or their place? Cool pic, either way.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Mother's Day fishing with #1 and grandkids. Did my Gator ad shot.  Tater got left on shore with me.  He was not happy, but I didnt think  he would go for it.  I am weed eating the picnic area and turning around in time to see him hop in and start swimming for the pontoon.  Dude made it!

Brush bovine all good and docile with their calves.

Tom

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
whoa.  that's a pretty amazing stonewall for kansas.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
That wall runs a half mile between quarters.  I got to hand it to my neighbor he has made a real effort to put rocks back on top of that, cleaned trees, maintained it.  I desecrated my half punching a whole thru it for a gate when we bought an adjacent 40.

I will have to do a rock wall tour one of these times, including the hole where all of that rock was quarried.  My dad and fellow farmer always said a good man could quarry and lay a rod (16.5 ft) of rock wall in a day.

It's amazing how much rock is in those walls.  We've scalped rock off a couple for flower beds, and fill the pick up bed and it looks like you barely made a dent.

Tom

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Good fences make good neighbors.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
That wall runs a half mile between quarters.  I got to hand it to my neighbor he has made a real effort to put rocks back on top of that, cleaned trees, maintained it.  I desecrated my half punching a whole thru it for a gate when we bought an adjacent 40.

I will have to do a rock wall tour one of these times, including the hole where all of that rock was quarried.  My dad and fellow farmer always said a good man could quarry and lay a rod (16.5 ft) of rock wall in a day.

It's amazing how much rock is in those walls.  We've scalped rock off a couple for flower beds, and fill the pick up bed and it looks like you barely made a dent.

Tom

It seems like the cows could pretty easily jump that stone wall. Does that happen or do the cows just say "Meh, got plenty of sweet sweet flint hills grass over on my side".

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Tom

It seems like the cows could pretty easily jump that stone wall. Does that happen or do the cows just say "Meh, got plenty of sweet sweet flint hills grass over on my side".
Cows don't have a lot of hops.  Yes, contented cows don't look to break out unless there is a threat.  There's also a barbed wire fence, all be it poor, on the other side of that wall, too.

Tom

Online Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Free range/ bush cattle would hop over that wall without looking back.  We rented pasture to feedlots that brought in grass calves from federal land every spring and loaded them up in early fall.  We have hedge posts every 10 ft w/twiss on stays 3.5 ft apart on very tight 5 wire bared fence.  It was five feet high and those wild MFers would jump over or break the fence if they got their heads in it.  All the farmers bordering us had cow/calf operations with very shitty three/four wire fences.  My job was to ride fence and make sure the windmills had the water tanks filled every fricking day.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.