Author Topic: Sensible Muslims Doing Sensible Muslim Things in the Name of Islam  (Read 99732 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Sensible Muslims Doing Sensible Muslim Things in the Name of Islam
« Reply #950 on: October 02, 2017, 10:54:34 AM »
Someone who is more "woke" than me . . . if you don't find a certain race of your preferred gender attractive. . .is that racist?
No.

Yep

I've always thought it is probably built around a) your community and b) what you see in media. So when you are a young pup dreaming about your dream person you don't include races you aren't familiar with. In this scenario, given a time where you change your community or what media you take in would change who you were most attracted to.

I just didn't know if I said something like, "I find that there are women in the middle east who are quite beautiful but I don't think I would pursue them (ie I dont find myself attracted to them)." - is that a racist thought or a normal thing that people could say that we would all understand?

Some men are capable of acknowledging beautiful women while simultaneously not being attracted to them. It's a pretty common and totally normal thing.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sensible Muslims Doing Sensible Muslim Things in the Name of Islam
« Reply #951 on: October 02, 2017, 11:32:30 AM »
The fact that you are confident enough to say an entire race is unattractive to you is obviously prejudiced and borderline racist. Seems pretty obvious to me.

I mean, right? How is that not painfully obvious? You're saying if you were set up on a blind date and found out she was X race you'd be like, don't even bother?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 12:22:36 PM by catastrophe »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: October 02, 2017, 11:39:44 AM »
Someone who is more "woke" than me . . . if you don't find a certain race of your preferred gender attractive. . .is that racist?
No.

Yep

I've always thought it is probably built around a) your community and b) what you see in media. So when you are a young pup dreaming about your dream person you don't include races you aren't familiar with. In this scenario, given a time where you change your community or what media you take in would change who you were most attracted to.

I just didn't know if I said something like, "I find that there are women in the middle east who are quite beautiful but I don't think I would pursue them (ie I dont find myself attracted to them)." - is that a racist thought or a normal thing that people could say that we would all understand?

Some men are capable of acknowledging beautiful women while simultaneously not being attracted to them. It's a pretty common and totally normal thing.

WTF? An entire race?

No, it's absolutely racist. It's racist because it requires you to ascribe certain physical characteristics to an entire race of people. Saying I don't find white women, or Asian women, or black women, or Hispanic women attractive is an acknowledgement that you think all women of that race look the same, which of course is patently ridiculous.

The eff outta here with your ridiculous attempt at rationalization. :lol:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: October 02, 2017, 12:08:06 PM »
No.

Yep

WTF? An entire race?

No, it's absolutely racist. It's racist because it requires you to ascribe certain physical characteristics to an entire race of people. Saying I don't find white women, or Asian women, or black women, or Hispanic women attractive is an acknowledgement that you think all women of that race look the same, which of course is patently ridiculous.

The eff outta here with your ridiculous attempt at rationalization.
U talking to me or him?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: October 02, 2017, 01:02:08 PM »
Both of you, obviously.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: October 02, 2017, 01:04:47 PM »
I am racist because a majority of the women that I find to be attractive are white?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: October 02, 2017, 01:05:47 PM »
Oh, well I was simply making a good old fashioned gay joke. Figured I'd let him pick his poison. Personally, I can be attracted to a woman of any variety.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: October 02, 2017, 01:06:41 PM »
But to a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: October 02, 2017, 01:09:58 PM »

:fatty:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: October 02, 2017, 01:13:08 PM »
:alleyoop:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: October 02, 2017, 01:38:00 PM »
I am racist because a majority of the women that I find to be attractive are white?

That doesn't have anything to do with the question yard dog asked, read it again.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: October 02, 2017, 01:41:59 PM »

That doesn't have anything to do with the question yard dog asked, read it again.

Ok. I misread his initial question as I thought this was the question he was asking at that time. I am declaring myself distanced from what it turned out to be.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: October 02, 2017, 01:42:25 PM »

Your pun didn't work, crap happens, be better.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: October 02, 2017, 01:44:01 PM »
I stand by the design and execution of my pun. It both entertains and really makes ya think. Sorry for the pwnage

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: October 02, 2017, 01:47:16 PM »
I stand by the design and execution of my pun. It both entertains and really makes ya think. Sorry for the pwnage

I mean, you had to explain it, so...

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: October 02, 2017, 01:50:49 PM »

As long as you don't express racial superiority, jmho. 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: October 02, 2017, 01:54:44 PM »
If I were single and met a beautiful middle eastern woman, I would pursue her. Some of you people lead overly complicated lives.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: October 02, 2017, 01:57:22 PM »
It seems very racist to say you could find a middle eastern woman beautiful but not want to pursue her because of her race.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: October 02, 2017, 01:59:16 PM »
It seems very racist to say you could find a middle eastern woman beautiful but not want to pursue her because of her race.
What if she has a crap personality or like, a weird voice?

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: October 02, 2017, 02:00:09 PM »
What if she has a crap personality or like, a weird voice?

That wouldn't have anything to do with her race.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: October 02, 2017, 02:00:55 PM »
Hmm, good point.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: October 02, 2017, 02:08:16 PM »
The fact that you are confident enough to say an entire race is unattractive to you is obviously prejudiced and borderline racist. Seems pretty obvious to me.

I mean, right? How is that not painfully obvious? You're saying if you were set up on a blind date and found out she was X race you'd be like, don't even bother?

I think this might be a semantics issue. It is racist to say "I don't find women from the middle east attractive." is it also racist to say "I find women from latin countries to be more attractive than women from middle eastern countries."?

To clarify, I am not saying an entire race is unattractive. If I was set up on a blind date with someone and they were cool I'd be attracted to them. I am more than a little confident I would get along with a date from any ethnic definition.

I have kind of always lumped it in with other traits you find appealing in a woman. I have friends who think Natalie Portman is smoking hot. I can acknowledge she is attractive (and it isn't like I would turn down the opportunity to go on a date with her) but I also don't think she is my type. All of us have probably explained to our friends/significant others in the past that we have a type in some form or fashion.

But that is where this more sensitive subject comes in. If a person's race is a part of "your type" is that racist? I know for awhile in college I ended up dating several KState coeds who were of Mexican heritage. I didn't meet or decide to date any of them based off of their race, but I began to think that women with Mexican heritage must be my type. I probably even put that in to daily conversation.

My hypothesis is that people may assume that potential partners from races they are unfamiliar with are not their type. But, given time and greater familiarity that can change.

The more interesting debate is on how someone should properly communicate if they have a preference. If you find one race more attractive than others that doesn't mean you think all other races are unattractive. You just have a clear preference.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: October 02, 2017, 02:18:59 PM »

I think this might be a semantics issue. It is racist to say "I don't find women from the middle east attractive." is it also racist to say "I find women from latin countries to be more attractive than women from middle eastern countries."?

To clarify, I am not saying an entire race is unattractive. If I was set up on a blind date with someone and they were cool I'd be attracted to them. I am more than a little confident I would get along with a date from any ethnic definition.

I have kind of always lumped it in with other traits you find appealing in a woman. I have friends who think Natalie Portman is smoking hot. I can acknowledge she is attractive (and it isn't like I would turn down the opportunity to go on a date with her) but I also don't think she is my type. All of us have probably explained to our friends/significant others in the past that we have a type in some form or fashion.

But that is where this more sensitive subject comes in. If a person's race is a part of "your type" is that racist? I know for awhile in college I ended up dating several KState coeds who were of Mexican heritage. I didn't meet or decide to date any of them based off of their race, but I began to think that women with Mexican heritage must be my type. I probably even put that in to daily conversation.

My hypothesis is that people may assume that potential partners from races they are unfamiliar with are not their type. But, given time and greater familiarity that can change.

The more interesting debate is on how someone should properly communicate if they have a preference. If you find one race more attractive than others that doesn't mean you think all other races are unattractive. You just have a clear preference.

It's not semantics, you just changed the argument. You initially asked
Now you're essentially saying that you are more attracted to blonde hair and blue eyes, that isn't the same thing. Your softened view isn't as racist but you're still attempting to assign certain physical traits to certain races and that isn't how genetics works. My first girlfriend was a black girl with light skin and green eyes. There are plenty of white folks with dark skin, eyes, and hair.

Maybe don't tie attraction to race and you won't have to do so much explaining.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sensible Muslims Doing Sensible Muslim Things in the Name of Islam
« Reply #973 on: October 02, 2017, 02:20:40 PM »
I don't really think it's semantics, I think you just walked back your prior statement after thinking it through.

Everyone has prejudices. If you tell me I'm about to have a pizza that was made at "Mario's" vs a pizza made at "Nguyen's" I'm going to expect to like the first one more. Because I know I like Italian pizza and the first name sounds more Italian.

The difference is whether you are willing to allow those expectations (which yes, are generally shaped by experience) to arrive at a final conclusion about a group/preference and everyone who falls into it. When you decide you no longer need to look at the individual to form your opinion, it's probably racist.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: October 02, 2017, 02:23:47 PM »

As long as you don't express racial superiority, jmho.

1. No one said a thing about "pursuit." I'm quite sure you don't pursue every white girl you find attractive.
2. If you find someone attractive but their race stops you from wanting to do whatever with her, that's absolutely an expression of racial superiority. You're saying her race doesn't reach your standard of acceptability.