Author Topic: Computer guy question  (Read 7328 times)

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
Re: Computer guy question
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 11:25:04 PM »
If you have the windows installation cd you can fix the boot record.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 11:27:41 PM »
If you have the windows installation cd you can fix the boot record.

or you could buy a mac and not have that problem.  :D

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 11:30:30 PM »
Um, Macs have plenty of problems.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 11:33:14 PM »
SD seems like a guy who would be perfect for a mac.

(Don't mean that in a bad way)

That's prolly true.  Too expensive though.

buy refurb.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 11:36:03 PM »
Don't listen to these idiots, SD.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 11:39:54 PM »
Someone not named y-l_a used my laptop now I have a windows boot manager notice  :embarrassed:
I have the installation disc,
but an error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data
Am I screwed? Where the hell should I take this into that isn't going to rape my a.

Could it have been dropped and the HDD is ruined or something :DUNNO:
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/483/xp_repair_fix_master_boot_record_recovery_console/

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2010, 07:39:23 AM »
Macs suck big ole donkey balls. I will neber buy another one. My wife loves it but that's because she's computer Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2010, 08:29:26 AM »
weird, I like mine and am not computer Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2010, 08:32:50 AM »
Now that I have a new Mac I'm looking forward to jumping into the Mac vs. PC debates.  I don't know a ton about computers though so my input will consist mainly of personal attacks.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2010, 09:10:16 AM »
Macs are great for people who know nothing about computers and want to do nothing except listen to music and look trendy (clams does this extremely well, though).

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2010, 09:15:43 AM »
Macs are great for people who know nothing about computers and want to do nothing except listen to music and look trendy (clams does this extremely well, though).

OK, dumbass.  You sound like a total idiot.

:driving:

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2010, 10:34:48 AM »
I have no problem with the OS. It's the hardware and the ideas that Apple has.  I don't like to use the OS but i will. I still prefer Ubuntu and Windows 7 to it though.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2010, 10:38:56 AM »

OK, dumbass.  You sound like a total idiot.

:driving:

_33 posts are so freaking great  :lol:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2010, 10:53:35 AM »
I have no problem with the OS. It's the hardware and the ideas that Apple has.  I don't like to use the OS but i will. I still prefer Ubuntu and Windows 7 to it though.
i agree that the hardware limitations they put on their machines are stupid but it some ways it could be argued that it puts in place a control environment non existent in the pc world which in turn limits problems that pc users have to deal with. 

i've been working with computers since Commodore 64 days, programming in BASIC language and machine code.  i've built and helped build a ton of pc machines but i finally got sick of playing in Microsoft's sandbox and wanted something different, so i bought a Mac.  i like using it. 

if you'd like to sue me, get in line.  behind terry peirce.

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2010, 11:22:54 AM »
I completely agree.  The thing that both draws me to and sends me away from buying a MAC is that Apple components make up a Apple Computer.  That in itself makes me angry.  I like to choose my hardware which is why I build my own.  If I had a need to put the OS on my custom, then I would, but the fact remains that I don’t need it.  I currently dual boot Ubuntu and 7 64 bit.  No need for MAC. 

Also, I hate buying into Microsoft as well.  Both companies are sickening in my book, but I understand PCs better and write my own programs as well for my specific needs.

So basically we’re agreeing to agree right Clams?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2010, 12:33:25 PM »
100% in agreement

It would have been easy for me to stay in the Windows world but it's also been fun to learn something new

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2010, 01:17:30 PM »
I might buy a Mac just so iTunes will work better. I swear I have the f'n worst luck with itunes on Windows in regards to syncing devices. It seems every other week it f's up and I have to restore crap. Makes me so angry. 
Where did you get that overnight bag?

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2010, 02:34:43 PM »
Back on track here fellas. Had the wrong disc had the one for my pc not for my laptop. Is there like something I can download and burn that will act the same as this disc or do I just need to contact the company.<-- Please say its not this because I hate calling people.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2010, 02:51:36 PM »
I might buy a Mac just so iTunes will work better. I swear I have the f'n worst luck with itunes on Windows in regards to syncing devices. It seems every other week it f's up and I have to restore crap. Makes me so angry. 
ya, it's ironic isn't it?

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2010, 05:13:58 PM »
Saul- are you using Windows 7? I bought a new printer, connected it to the network, and Windows 7 did everything. I recently reformatted to it and the drivers that it couldn't get from windows update, it pulled directly from the manufacturer's site. It was pretty slick.

Clams- I was the same way as you and wanted to try it out. My internship in Boulder was at a firm with macs. Despite a pretty rough transition to Intels, I thought it was pretty good. My problem came when I tried to do pretty high end stuff with it. The capabilities just aren't there. It's asinine that graphic designers cling on to a platform where you can't get graphic drivers for color correction, printer drivers for color correction, or a monitor that adjusts color. It was stuff like that that was the main reason for me not wanting to go that route.

33- Out of the park, like a pro.

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2010, 05:15:12 PM »
I've never had any problems with syncing my devices, but then again, my ipod hasn't worked in years and i currently don't have the need or desire to puchase a new one.  The only time i would use it would be when i work out.  I can't justify that when the gym plays music that i can work out to as well.  

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2010, 11:30:20 AM »

How can you say this with a straight face?  Ubuntu is garbage compared to Windows 7.  Seems like someone named LinuxCat would be using Gentoo or something.

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2010, 08:17:05 AM »
I haven't tried gentoo yet, any good?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2010, 08:41:33 AM »

Just got my first Mac recently and this is an amazing difference.  Pretty much everything runs a zillion times faster.  You just turn the fracking thing on and everything works and works fast.  The only thing that I ever have an issue is I bought MS Office for mac and the programs sometimes won't close.  Pretty hilarious.  Also, I know that if I knew a bunch about computers that I probably could have made my PC run really fast and not have constant problems, but I am one of those weird people that just like the things I buy to work without me have to "fix" them first. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2010, 01:09:25 PM »
just got a magic mouse, it's massively elite.