Author Topic: Coaching Search 2018  (Read 34368 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Search 2018
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2018, 03:25:46 PM »
FTR, I would go Leach, Venzy, LittreLL right now. I think Leach and LittreLL are more likely than Venzy though.

I would love Leach because he's got a big personality, which I think helps in replacing a legendary coach. He kind of did this once in replacing Spyke Dykes at Tech. He's won at least 8 games 12 of the last 15 seasons at programs similar in stature to K-State. He would definitetly be a guy who would prove you can "win at K-State without Snyder". I could see 8-10 years mainly with 8-9 wins and a couple double digit win seasons if he came here.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2018, 03:26:48 PM »
What am I missing about the state of the WSU program that makes anyone think he would leave for kstate?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2018, 03:35:06 PM »
His history shows that he can build a 7 to 9 win teams consistently and do it anywhere.  The only knocks I have on him is that he seems to have a pretty hard ceiling and he is crazy (which isn't all bad). 

does he still have a hard ceiling if he goes 12-1 this year?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Leach_(American_football_coach)

(also, didn't realize how long it's been since he left Tech)

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2018, 03:38:46 PM »
What am I missing about the state of the WSU program that makes anyone think he would leave for kstate?

MHK is about a 10x better place to live than Pullman for starters.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2018, 03:39:57 PM »

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2018, 03:41:27 PM »

ChUPAR is not in love with WAZZU this year.  It has a lot to do with playing a super shitty non-con and then the Pac-12 kinda sucking this year.

To be fair, however, they would be the third best team in the Big 12 year.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2018, 03:43:06 PM »
Leach would be a great hire, but I think he's least likely to come here out of just about every name mentioned. But yea, give him call. May as well call Bob too, who gives a crap of they say no (and Bob would).
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2018, 03:45:21 PM »
I think it would be easier to recruit to KSU. the entire PNW is pretty isolated to begin with, and Pullman is about as remote as it gets. I bet it's a pretty cool place to go to college, just a logistics challenge.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2018, 03:46:57 PM »
also I had no idea Leach hired the minnesota coach!!!

https://wsucougars.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1653&path=football

wait wrong minny coach

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2018, 03:47:57 PM »
I mean if leach is even a remote possibility you throw as much money at him as you can.  I assume they can and will pay him as much as we could. I’d be shocked if he hated the animal enough to lateral.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2018, 03:50:20 PM »
I mean if leach is even a remote possibility you throw as much money at him as you can.  I assume they can and will pay him as much as we could. I’d be shocked if he hated the animal enough to lateral.

agreed something like that would never happen we have no evidence of something similar happening at KSU sports especially

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2018, 03:55:23 PM »
I could see Leach coming here just to own Tech.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2018, 03:59:34 PM »
Kstate is the better job you dolts.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2018, 04:09:43 PM »
Unless you think Tennessee is some ultra-prestigious dream job, last year showed he'll dump wazzu for just about anything.  He took that gig just off of having chatted w/currie for a bit in LA.  Wooing him out of Pullman hasn't been the issue.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2018/06/18/mike-leach-twitter-shows-why-bigger-schools-avoid-hiring-him/710530002/

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2018, 04:11:26 PM »

He was begging Currie for the Tennessee job last year.

Granted, we aren't quite Tennessee, but I think he'd listen to K-State. Plus, he's already got recruiting ties to Texas and as others have said, he'd love to beat Tech yearly.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2018, 04:16:24 PM »
Kstate is the better job you dolts.
Yea probably, but not a eff ton better. It's close to a lateral move that could fail. I don't know what the hell goes on in his pirate brain, maybe he'd come here for a song or maybe he'd say screw off for a huge chunk. It's not a given he would accept. And if it is, he should be our next coach.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2018, 04:31:40 PM »
It’s better in every way though. Not a ton better in any but better in every single way possible and that adds up. That said who knows how comfortable he is or if he wants a change. Total wildcard!

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2018, 04:34:03 PM »

agreed something like that would never happen we have no evidence of something similar happening at KSU sports especially

Woof

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2018, 04:57:43 PM »
His history shows that he can build a 7 to 9 win teams consistently and do it anywhere.  The only knocks I have on him is that he seems to have a pretty hard ceiling and he is crazy (which isn't all bad). 

does he still have a hard ceiling if he goes 12-1 this year?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Leach_(American_football_coach)

(also, didn't realize how long it's been since he left Tech)

I don't recall enough Leach games to guess what the issues were, but it always struck me as strange how non-competitive his teams were a couple of times a year.  His teams are absurdly consistent and it surprises me that he didn't have more than one really good season.  A 12-1 season would probably change my opinion some, but still seems like an outlier. 

Regardless, he would be towards the top of my list.  Consistent 8 and 9 win seasons means games with some stakes.  Leach means crazy entertaining bullshit.  As a K-State fan, what more could you possibly ask for?

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2018, 05:40:33 PM »
Having to play good Texas and Oklahoma teams every year tends to hurt a program's overall record.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2018, 06:03:32 PM »
I'd take a coach that won a minimum of 7 and a max of 9 regular seasons in a heart beat. Someone said it earlier, but as much as anything, a big thing is to have multiple coaches that succeed here. I don't believe for a second that - as good as Snyder was - Bill is the only guy that can win here. He might have been the only guy that could get us here though. Now is the time to build and /or sustain.

I mean, if we can win at a decent clip for 10 more years, we're talking about 35 years of pretty good success.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2018, 07:33:29 AM »
Having to play good Texas and Oklahoma teams every year tends to hurt a program's overall record.

True.  For a while the B12 south was a monster

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2018, 11:56:30 AM »
LittreLL has UNT at 26th in the S&P+ this right now.

That's pretty impressive, even if you ignore the state of things when he got there.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2018, 11:58:10 AM »
the other night, KK was texting me and said he'd like to see ken niumatalolo over LittreLL  :lol:

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2018, 12:01:15 PM »
Leach - Too much of a POS, or good enough at football to overlook all that?

Not that great at football

compared to whom? I will predict that he's great at football relative relative to whoever we end up hiring.

Who we currently have. Since he got to Washington State his wins number is within a couple of games, give or take, as Snyder's in the same time period. I looked it up like a month ago. If Snyder were to stay on in certain this year would be an aberration and most years we'd be at 6-8 wins, that's exactly what Leach is.

I have no idea what Venables, LittreLL, Kleiman, Satterfield, et al would do here, I'm certain what Leach would do.