Author Topic: State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools  (Read 72711 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools
« Reply #400 on: May 06, 2015, 12:48:48 PM »
Clearly all CPI questions thus far have been very serious.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 06, 2015, 12:50:57 PM »
I think the cost of new Steinway grand pianos has gone up - oh, that was in Missouri.

No it was in Kansas.  And this is a typical example of something stupid to complain about.

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article8867900.html

Huh. But isn't Sumner a private school, or is it a magnet? If it's getting the same public funds as other schools, then yeah, this is something to complain about. Even for a good high school music program like Sumner, you can get a perfectly good grand piano for less than half what they spent on that Mercedes. But, you know, inflation.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #402 on: May 06, 2015, 04:58:44 PM »
Question for the monstrously stupid indoctrinated morons itt:

Which of the consumer goods in the cpi basket has driven the cost of education up the most? Apartment rent? Wine? Airfare? Cigarettes?

I mean, come on. . .

:lol:  this is great.  I bet the numbers will look better if you use transportation and energy costs.

:lol: you're the dumbass who brought the cost of consumer goods into the public school funding thread.

I would guess the overwhelming cause of the shrinking school budgets are related to the rapidly expanding compensation (health insurance, pensions, pay) of teachers, current and legacy. But hey, they do it all for the kids. That's why a kindergarten teacher needs tenure.  As with any industry suffocating and starved for cash, one need to look no further than the union.

goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 06, 2015, 06:15:25 PM »
Yup, teachers just make too much God damn money  :curse:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 06, 2015, 06:23:20 PM »
It is pretty great that lots of people on this board were talking about how much inflation there was that CPI wasn't catching and now KSU and FSD are claiming that there inflation is irrelevant.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: May 06, 2015, 07:41:33 PM »
It is pretty great that lots of people on this board were talking about how much inflation there was that CPI wasn't catching and now KSU and FSD are claiming that there inflation is irrelevant.

Was I one of those people?

(I wasn't. A little inflation each year is a good thing). But again, if arguing that it costs 10% more to teach Kansas students in 2014 than in 2009 due to the CPI surveys in urban areas of prices of things that largely don't impact schools, you're delusional. But we already knew that.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 06, 2015, 07:44:49 PM »

Was I one of those people?

(I wasn't. A little inflation each year is a good thing). But again, if arguing that it costs 10% more to teach Kansas students in 2014 than in 2009 due to the CPI surveys in urban areas of prices of things that largely don't impact schools, you're delusional. But we already knew that.

I think it costs pretty much the same after you convert 2009 dollars to 2015 dollars.

Offline gE_Temp

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 06, 2015, 07:59:01 PM »
Hey guys, sorry to interrupt, but Mr. Dave told me to come tell you guys to keep it down.  He said he is really busy and that you guys were being a little bit too loud.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 07, 2015, 12:52:26 AM »
I would guess the overwhelming cause of the shrinking school budgets are related to the rapidly expanding compensation (health insurance, pensions, pay) of teachers, current and legacy. But hey, they do it all for the kids.

:ROFL:

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 07, 2015, 11:08:30 AM »
You guys said inflation is out of control (wut?) therefore inflation has a 100% direct correlation to the cost of schooling, but there isn't inflation, but it strongly effects schooling, and the most money ever is actually the least money ever by a long shot and kids are walking around barefoot and starving.

You people are so rough ridin' stupid, it's pathetic.  :lol:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 07, 2015, 11:16:58 AM »
You guys said inflation is out of control (wut?) therefore inflation has a 100% direct correlation to the cost of schooling, but there isn't inflation, but it strongly effects schooling, and the most money ever is actually the least money ever by a long shot and kids are walking around barefoot and starving.

The dollar losing about 10% of its value over a 7-8 year time period is hardly out of control inflation.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 07, 2015, 11:46:39 AM »

The dollar losing about 10% of its value over a 7-8 year time period is hardly out of control inflation.

Thanks

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 07, 2015, 01:22:21 PM »
Question for the monstrously stupid indoctrinated morons itt:

Which of the consumer goods in the cpi basket has driven the cost of education up the most? Apartment rent? Wine? Airfare? Cigarettes?

I mean, come on. . .

:lol:  this is great.  I bet the numbers will look better if you use transportation and energy costs.

I did a little sleuthing for you using the cpi website. It's a wealth of knowledge, so you probably wouldn't be interested.

I took the 2008 average for energy (which is excluded from core cpi bc it's so volatile) and transportation and compared to year end 2014 (no averages yet)

Here's the (de)inflation:
Energy: -18%
Transportation:  2.01%

So, ha ha ha ha, dumbsticks
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 01:26:59 PM by Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) »

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 07, 2015, 01:23:50 PM »
 :lol:

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 07, 2015, 01:27:43 PM »

pwn3d

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 07, 2015, 01:29:21 PM »
We've been over this. The cost of a concert-grade Steinway grand piano is up over 200% from five years ago. $6 billion simply is not enough to adequately educate young Kansans in this day and age. #TIPTHESCHOOLSYOUEVILREPUBLICANS #IMINFORMEDBECAUSEIWATCHTHENEWS

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 07, 2015, 01:34:11 PM »
If I had to wager I would guess deep seated psychological id racism from conservatives has caused the cost of crayons and notepad paper to accelerate in cost far greater then brownback has funded it. Of course we don't give a eff what's going on with the budget...when a Democrat is governor.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 07, 2015, 01:37:30 PM »
If I had to wager I would guess deep seated psychological id racism from conservatives has caused the cost of crayons and notepad paper to accelerate in cost far greater then brownback has funded it. Of course we don't give a eff what's going on with the budget...when a Democrat is governor.

Nope, just a historically low inflation rate, accumulated over 8 years.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 07, 2015, 01:53:26 PM »
I'd bet the cost of a 10-pack of markers in 2009 was the same 1.99 it is today. But maybe now you only get 9 markers??? I'm telling you guys, a buck just doesn't stretch as far now as the good ol days in aught-9. I guess that's the downside of this booming recovery!

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 07, 2015, 01:54:42 PM »
Lol at crayons and markers being bought by the schools.  Teachers and kids cover that.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: May 07, 2015, 02:05:40 PM »
I'd bet the cost of a 10-pack of markers in 2009 was the same 1.99 it is today. But maybe now you only get 9 markers??? I'm telling you guys, a buck just doesn't stretch as far now as the good ol days in aught-9. I guess that's the downside of this booming recovery!

I'm sure that the average costs of things schools pay for have increased by about 10%, just like they have for every other business and individual.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 07, 2015, 02:34:27 PM »
I don't think school supplies are really the issue.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 07, 2015, 03:05:11 PM »
I don't think school supplies are really the issue.

Nope, just draconian budget cuts and the cost of consumer goods.  With the former being unfounded rhetoric, and the latter being wholly unrelated.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 07, 2015, 03:43:34 PM »
Yup. Back then, in The Nine we used to call it, a shoeshine cost a nickel. Twitterin was for the birds. They were simpler times back then, by golly.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 07, 2015, 04:01:33 PM »
Maybe you guys should try a strategy that doesn't make you look so ignorant of how the world works. Something like "we were spending too much money on schools in 2009" would be a whole lot better.