Author Topic: The World's 18 Strangest Airports  (Read 2680 times)

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
The World's 18 Strangest Airports
« on: February 19, 2010, 09:36:23 AM »
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/transportation/4346192.html

maybe should be titled world's strangest runways.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Re: The World's 18 Strangest Airports
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 10:46:55 AM »
I like the 1 in France.  Ridiculous. I wouldn't fly into or out of there. Screw that noise.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 10:49:27 AM »
We need some crazy design at MHK to add to Manhattan's eliteness 

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 11:26:37 AM »
We need some crazy design at MHK to add to Manhattan's eliteness 

like this:

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Re: The World's 18 Strangest Airports(Att Get_Hit)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 09:08:36 AM »
Just found this thread. Very cool pictures...

Despite the stubby runway, planes as large as Boeing's 757 routinely land at the airport. Schreckengast tells PM that "Seven thousand feet is awfully short for 747s," let alone anything larger, and says that planes are forced to land and take off in the same direction because they won't be able to clear the mountains otherwise.

So MHK is expanding the runway from 7,000 to 7,400 ft. Any clue when that will be completed?(Get_Hit question) Supposedly this will allow 757's the land as well. I only found a wiki article on this, so wasn't sure the validity of it.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

NXL

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 09:19:11 AM »
What's weird is that Denver is on that list.

Offline gowildcatwildcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The World's 18 Strangest Airports(Att Get_Hit)
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 12:00:45 PM »
Just found this thread. Very cool pictures...

Despite the stubby runway, planes as large as Boeing's 757 routinely land at the airport. Schreckengast tells PM that "Seven thousand feet is awfully short for 747s," let alone anything larger, and says that planes are forced to land and take off in the same direction because they won't be able to clear the mountains otherwise.

So MHK is expanding the runway from 7,000 to 7,400 ft. Any clue when that will be completed?(Get_Hit question) Supposedly this will allow 757's the land as well. I only found a wiki article on this, so wasn't sure the validity of it.

I've flown in here a couple of times.  The first time, it will freak you the f out if you don't know about it.  The second time, it's kinda cool, the mess in the pants is smaller.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 06:23:15 PM »
I've flown into the Honduran and Brazilian airports on that list. The one in Quito is worse IMO. There's a reason that Latin American passengers literally applaud when a plan successfully lands there. It will give you religion.

Also, when you get off the plane in Quito, you're greeted by an awesome poster of two soldiers with dogs that says "Please don't bring drugs into Ecuador." I think it's the politeness that really hits home with me.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline gowildcatwildcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 09:38:03 PM »
I've flown into the Honduran and Brazilian airports on that list. The one in Quito is worse IMO. There's a reason that Latin American passengers literally applaud when a plan successfully lands there. It will give you religion.

Also, when you get off the plane in Quito, you're greeted by an awesome poster of two soldiers with dogs that says "Please don't bring drugs into Ecuador." I think it's the politeness that really hits home with me.

Quito sucks because two steps off the plane and you are out of breath.   Costa Rica is also great with the picture of the small child with the words "Don't have sex with me."  Woo hoo, now we can start our vacation. :frown:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 09:00:59 AM »
must feel stupid to talk about strange airports. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 09:16:35 AM »
hmmmm. this airport is strange. the bathrooms are painted purple and there is carpet on the ceiling. strange indeed.

:flush:

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 01:26:09 PM »
About ten years ago, I flew to Bangkok. Thai Air was amazing. Bangkok airport was a little sketchy. The staff in the Tokyo airport where we had a layover was almost embarrassingly polite.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 01:27:34 PM »
The staff in the Tokyo airport where we had a layover was almost embarrassingly polite.

Happy ending??
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 04:56:04 PM »

Quito sucks because two steps off the plane and you are out of breath.   Costa Rica is also great with the picture of the small child with the words "Don't have sex with me."  Woo hoo, now we can start our vacation. :frown:

Must have missed that picture on my last trip to San Jose. All I saw were photos of golf courses.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 07:21:35 PM »
I had no idea Gibraltar was owned by the british.  :frown:

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 10:03:30 PM »
8. Simpson Bay, Saint Maarten

Been there. It feels like you can reach up and touch the planes on their approach.
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 10:17:39 PM »
8. Simpson Bay, Saint Maarten

Been there. It feels like you can reach up and touch the planes on their approach.

WOW.  doesn't seem very "strange" to me, does it to you?  you're very weird if it does.  now i will admit that the situ down there is extreme.  the airport, it is extreme.  check out the extreme airports thread and let's chat, ciao!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.