Author Topic: Kitchen Knives  (Read 1234 times)

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
Kitchen Knives
« on: March 27, 2012, 04:07:35 PM »
I was just gifted my first awesome kitchen knife and i am  :excited:

However, being a first time owner of UHC steel I have some questions regarding upkeep... as in, what type of sharpener should I be getting to ensure the longest and sharpest life? The instructions that came with it said to use either ceramic or diamond sharpeners, and to stray away from whetstones. I really :dunno: what this means?   Should I get a stone? Rod? I have no idea... also tips on techniques etc would be awesome...

What do you people use in the kitchen? What sharpening methods work best?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Kitchen Knives
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 04:16:29 PM »
The thing is, your will seldom need to actually sharpen a good knife.  You should, however, hone it before every use.  Also, only use wood or plastic cutting boards.  (NEVER USE A GLASS STONE CUTTING BOARD!)

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 04:33:29 PM »
The thing is, your will seldom need to actually sharpen a good knife.  You should, however, hone it before every use.  Also, only use wood or plastic cutting boards.  (NEVER USE A GLASS STONE CUTTING BOARD!)

you use a rod for that right?

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 04:33:47 PM »
It takes some practice to get these to work right but...

you will look like a badass when you get it perfected.

My technique is the reverse of the diagram.

Like this.

They are called a "steel" for future reference.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 04:41:09 PM »
yeah, learn to use a steel, doesn't hurt to use a steel before each heavy use. 

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 04:42:31 PM »
but there are different types of steel right? which one do you use/prefer? also what is the deal with oil?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 05:09:13 PM »
What are you cutting?

I mean, I have used the same knife for chopping veggies since 1999, have never sharpened it, and it still works like a rough ridin' boss.  also, it was like $40.  So if it did stop it's boss-like working, I toss it and buy another $40 knife, or pay someone like $20 to sharpen it for the next decade of use.

Also, I cook a lot.  I mean, a lot.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 05:16:02 PM »
I've owned all sorts of knives over the years and the best one I have ever bought was a $10 one from Sams.  It's a commercial type, with a plastic handle and that mother rough rider is sharp as hell and has been for a long time.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 05:16:35 PM »
Using the rod requires you hold it at the proper angle and have proper technique.  Unless you want to figure that out, I would just get a Wusthof electric sharpener or something.  If you are going to get a wood cutting board, maple is supposed to be the way to go.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 05:44:52 PM »
i wouldn't bother sharpening that thing yourself and am surprised it didn't come with instructions that included a recommendation to have it professionally ground/sharpened.  it's fine to do yourself if you know what you're doing but you don't want to learn on a Roselli Leuku.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 07:34:47 PM »
If you have the same knife you have pictured then you should be able to resharpen that sucker for the next 20 or 30 years.  Why pay someone when you can look like a boss doing it yourself.   :dunno:  Every once in a while (like maybe once a year) you will need to reset the edge.  The shapeners that were recomended in your instructions will do this.  Then take the steel to fine tune it.  All the steel does is lay the tiny serrated edge (it may look smooth to the naked eye but it is not) in the correct direction.  Veggies are the easiest thing for a knife to cut.  Meats are the real test of a sharp knife.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 09:32:16 PM »
does anyone leather to hone? the limited instructions given recommend it.... don't know where the eff to start with that one. do places just sell leather straps? do i have to go to a sex shoppe? why would knife makers corroborate with sex shoppes? 

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 10:32:23 PM »
Barbers use straps for their straight razors, so I would assume they would work for knives.  And anything you want can be found at the local restaurant supply store.  (Or a chef supply store would be even better, those places are like freaking toy stores for me.)

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 10:45:15 PM »

However, being a first time owner of UHC steel I have some questions regarding upkeep... as in, what type of sharpener should I be getting to ensure the longest and sharpest life? The instructions that came with it said to use either ceramic or diamond sharpeners, and to stray away from whetstones. I really :dunno: what this means?   Should I get a stone? Rod? I have no idea... also tips on techniques etc would be awesome...

whats so special about this knife?  looks pretty mundane to me

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 09:15:54 AM »

whats so special about this knife?  looks pretty mundane to me

meh. nothing crazy special. its handmade by a decent knife maker out of finland. really its just my first decent knife, and also my first carbon steel. I was mistaken in thinking UHC is a universal steel. Apparently it is specific to roselli. its probably right around the same level as a global, except carbon.

what do you have?