Author Topic: Official Klein for Heisman (Kleinsman) Thread  (Read 135763 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Official Klein for Heisman (Kleinsman) Thread
« Reply #725 on: December 05, 2012, 12:02:48 PM »
It may be a bit different this year because the field isn't as deep, but IMO the reactionary nature of the Heisman isn't a lot different than many other years. Not really different than most other national awards really in many ways the Heisman is just more strange because of the large group of voters that come from broad backgrounds. We're just closer to the Heisman stuff this year because we have a player in the discussion and a finalist.

The Heisman has been a joke since ESPN heavily invested in it about 15-20 years ago and devoted significant air time telling people who to vote for.  Its an award that is predicated on hype and generating ratings and ad revenue.  Its literally the only sporting award in the entire world that uses television ratings as a measuring stick.

In many ways the Heisman has always been a flawed award. There really aren't any specific criteria and it has a strange voting base. Before ESPN decided to promote it (and players for it) it was just as flawed because the voting was even more regional. Go back even further when their were limited TV games, and voters simply didn't have much to go on besides stats and 2nd hand information from other voters or media.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: December 05, 2012, 12:04:34 PM »
As fans, we'll need to continue to find ways to keep the chip on our shoulder.  This is great for that. 

Is it? I see pros and cons. Usually depending on who I feel like arguing with.

I don't love having a chip, I'd rather be arrogant.

yeah, if we could transition the energy from the chip on our shoulder into irrational cockyness energy, I'd be very pleased.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: December 05, 2012, 12:27:25 PM »
It may be a bit different this year because the field isn't as deep, but IMO the reactionary nature of the Heisman isn't a lot different than many other years. Not really different than most other national awards really in many ways the Heisman is just more strange because of the large group of voters that come from broad backgrounds. We're just closer to the Heisman stuff this year because we have a player in the discussion and a finalist.

The Heisman has been a joke since ESPN heavily invested in it about 15-20 years ago and devoted significant air time telling people who to vote for.  Its an award that is predicated on hype and generating ratings and ad revenue.  Its literally the only sporting award in the entire world that uses television ratings as a measuring stick.

In many ways the Heisman has always been a flawed award. There really aren't any specific criteria and it has a strange voting base. Before ESPN decided to promote it (and players for it) it was just as flawed because the voting was even more regional. Go back even further when their were limited TV games, and voters simply didn't have much to go on besides stats and 2nd hand information from other voters or media.

Yes, in the early 90's and before you won if you were on TV lots.  Did Troy Davis even get a single Hesiman point?

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: December 05, 2012, 12:37:38 PM »

Yes, in the early 90's and before you won if you were on TV lots.  Did Troy Davis even get a single Hesiman point?

Probably not, I've said on here a couple of times no one has ever deserved a Heisman more than Troy Davis. What he did on those terrible terrible Iowa State teams is incredible at the very least

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: December 05, 2012, 12:41:33 PM »
From wiki:

Davis finished fifth out of six finalists for the Heisman Trophy in 1995, and narrowly finished second to winner Danny Wuerffel in 1996. In 1996, Davis won three Heisman regions, but lost badly in the South region. He was nosed out for the 1996 Doak Walker Award by another Big 12 running back, Byron Hanspard of Texas Tech. In both cases, he was largely hampered by the fact that he played on a losing team.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 05, 2012, 12:42:28 PM »
Troy Davis was actually a fairly close second. on a 2-9 team. :sdeek:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/awards/heisman-1996.html

catzacker

« Reply #731 on: December 05, 2012, 12:48:36 PM »
From wiki:

Davis finished fifth out of six finalists for the Heisman Trophy in 1995, and narrowly finished second to winner Danny Wuerffel in 1996. In 1996, Davis won three Heisman regions, but lost badly in the South region. He was nosed out for the 1996 Doak Walker Award by another Big 12 running back, Byron Hanspard of Texas Tech. In both cases, he was largely hampered by the fact that he played on a losing team.

the SEC, from top to bottom, from media to its members, plays the game to win.  It's impressive. 

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 05, 2012, 12:49:26 PM »
Dude was a beast, my fav non-emaw player growing up

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: December 05, 2012, 12:51:17 PM »
I love how much Heisman talk Klein is getting this week. Would this have anything to do with Manziel playing his bowl game on fox? Also would explain the "Klein should win heisman, but Manziel is going to win thing"  idk guys  :dunno:
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: December 05, 2012, 01:28:16 PM »
playing on fox was amazing. Those guys are the best.

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: December 05, 2012, 01:30:17 PM »

I actually agree with this. I love the guys that do the Fox games way more than the people ESPN get.
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline bobby_runs

• :(
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 05, 2012, 01:34:21 PM »
This.

I loved how into it Gus and Charles got.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: December 05, 2012, 01:37:34 PM »
I wish Fox and Gus Johnson did all of our games.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: December 05, 2012, 03:02:42 PM »
I love how much Heisman talk Klein is getting this week. Would this have anything to do with Manziel playing his bowl game on fox? Also would explain the "Klein should win heisman, but Manziel is going to win thing"  idk guys  :dunno:

Yes, been hearing that talking point a lot the last 2 days and its going to drive me to shank a hooker.

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: December 05, 2012, 04:01:16 PM »

Yes, been hearing that talking point a lot the last 2 days and its going to drive me to shank a hooker.

I know it's wrong, but this made me laugh.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: December 06, 2012, 03:31:05 PM »
http://campusinsiders.com/video/2013991551001

At least EMAW at heart Jason White voted for Collin.

Offline irishpunk

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: December 06, 2012, 03:34:26 PM »
-Arizona K-Stater-

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: December 06, 2012, 03:51:07 PM »
our slim chance of hope lies with past heisman winners. i'm hoping they don't want to be compared to a little crap racist who doesn't obey rules knowingly.

look at that badass. they say use mats. he says LOL IM THE HEIS MAN

terrible driving form fwiw

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: December 06, 2012, 03:56:06 PM »
look wear he's standing, jfc. is he doing a Billy Madison running drive?

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: December 06, 2012, 04:05:33 PM »
video of Kiper an McShay on ESPN site has them both saying Collin's size means he will be a "receiving entity in the NFL." Then during the ESPN CFB Nation chat, Collin was asked this: "Would you change positions to make it in the NFL?" Collin's response: "I don't think I have to. I don't want to. I think I can play QB in the NFL."

just proves non of these talking heads even understand or have watched much football this season.

Offline Domino

• One by One
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: December 06, 2012, 04:10:38 PM »
video of Kiper an McShay on ESPN site has them both saying Collin's size means he will be a "receiving entity in the NFL." Then during the ESPN CFB Nation chat, Collin was asked this: "Would you change positions to make it in the NFL?" Collin's response: "I don't think I have to. I don't want to. I think I can play QB in the NFL."

just proves non of these talking heads even understand or have watched much football this season.

There were talks of Tebow being converted to a TE before the draft. The reality is Klein has a tremendous arm with some zip, but his release really limits his prospects as a QB. That said, there's nothing stopping him from trying to be a QB at the next level.

Offline bigwillie20

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • #FYJC #burnitdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: December 06, 2012, 04:20:29 PM »

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: December 06, 2012, 04:24:33 PM »
He was invited to the Manning passing camp. He also does not benefit in any way from stating he will not switch positions, it would only hurt him if what Kiper and McShay are saying is actually true. Collin is not one to make statements like that without having info to back it up. He has to have info  from somewhere saying he has a shot at QB in the NFL.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: December 06, 2012, 04:28:41 PM »
http://campusinsiders.com/video/2013991551001

At least EMAW at heart Jason White voted for Collin.

1. CK  :ksu:
2. Te'o
3. Landry   :cheers:

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: December 06, 2012, 05:03:09 PM »
The reality is Klein has a tremendous arm with some zip, but his release really limits his prospects as a QB. That said, there's nothing stopping him from trying to be a QB at the next level.

Can't tell if serious.