Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 322997 times)

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #1250 on: November 20, 2013, 07:31:53 PM »
I like the law.  The fact that people from both parties hate it tells me that its a good all around law that doesn't favor one side over the other, and as a moderate, thats what I strive for.  Kudos to Obama (i'm being serious).

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: November 21, 2013, 12:01:46 PM »
I like the law.  The fact that people from both parties hate it tells me that its a good all around law that doesn't favor one side over the other, and as a moderate, thats what I strive for.  Kudos to Obama (i'm being serious).

If both parties dislike it that means it's a bad law and never should have passed, and this one wouldn't have if the truth had been told. Nobody actually read and understood what it was, and still don't. A good law is one that gets at least a majority of both parties to vote yes after reading.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: November 21, 2013, 01:37:16 PM »
You know, one of the major PR blunders of Obamacare is that a lot of the self-insured who are getting screwed happen to be journalists. Oops.

Another liberal gets a face full of reality: http://observer.com/2013/11/my-obamacare-cancellation/

"Seething at a President I helped elect."
By oscar Barcott

We received the letter in the mail a couple months ago. The good people at Regence Bluecross Blueshield were pleased to inform us that due to Obamacare our current low-monthly premium, comically-high deductible medical policy would no longer exist come January 1, 2014. Pleased, because a new and better plan would be offered in its place. Old monthly premium: $578 for a family of four (non-smoking, helmet-wearing, and paternally snipped). New premium: $1,123. A 94% increase.

Once the sound of boiling blood dissipated, in my head I heard my Republican friends chuckling at the sight of a liberal Democrat hoisted ten stories high on his own petard. How’s the view up there, Obamacare Ollie?

For the past 15 years my wife and I have made our living as freelance writers. (To young readers, I say: Do not do this. Your bliss is marvelous, but its following will need to be supported by a banker, plumber, union machinist or tenured faculty member.) As such, our health insurance is our own concern. Over the years we’ve held on to our coverage by letting our co-pay and deductible rise and our covered procedures fall. You may be aware that the three-tiered state exchange policies are labeled Gold, Silver, and Bronze, reflecting their price and level of coverage. If our policy still existed it would fall into the column of Wood.

But Wood we had—and Wood we liked. No more. O.K., into the state exchange we go. I voted for it. Fair enough. :thumbsup:

...Back to the exchange website. Enter birth dates, zip code, tobacco use, yadda yadda, monthly income. Stop. Ponder.

Which month, brother? For that matter, which year? Do you want gross, net, before SE (self-employment tax, a k a Social Security payments) or after? AGI (adjusted gross income) from last year’s 1040?

For every business futurist who hails the coming of the independent contracting economy, the future that is The Brand of You, there are thousands of us out here actually building The Brand of You. It ain’t an easy hustle. If you want to get an idea of our monthly and yearly incomes, imagine a sine wave drawn by a drunken sailor. Last year my wife and I, we made out all right. This year’s kinda lean. Which year did the exchange want? Unclear.

I went to a friend and colleague—let’s call him Peter—for advice. He also had his individual medical policy cancelled because of Obamacare. “I’m stuck on the same question—income,” he told me. Peter does a little writing, a little farming, a little this and that to keep the ship afloat. “I got through to the exchange, and the woman there told me to just estimate what my income would be this year.” In other words: Make it up. If he overestimated, he’d be screwing himself out of a subsidy, Peter said. If he underestimated, he’d be hit with a big fat bill. He wasn’t sure he wouldn’t also be accused of fraud. So he called his accountant, who’s also a lawyer.

That only got him so far. At a certain point in the conversation, the accountant/lawyer had to get off the phone. “I have to stop answering your questions,” he told Peter. “I can’t ethically advise you, because honestly I don’t know the right thing to do. Nobody does. There are no answers. Right now it’s a complete clusterfuck.”  :lol:

Last week the frustration of people like Peter and me—Obamacare supporters who lost their current plans—was heard by the White House, which promptly panicked. On Thursday, President Obama announced a policy change that would allow insurance companies like Regence to keep customers like me on the old Wood plan for one more year. To that I say: Hah! Thanks for nothing.

The idea that an insurer like Regence can, or will, spin on a dime and revive our ol’ $587 Woody within the next six weeks is absurd. It skews the market and undermines the entire premise of the Affordable Care Act – which is that by balancing the halt (allowing pre-existing conditions) and the hale (forcing robust young adults to get in the pool), the exchanges will over time produce a system that offers quality health care at a price my family can afford. :captainobvious:

Why wouldn't they just go off your reported income from the previous year? That would be the only figure that makes any sense whatsoever.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: November 21, 2013, 02:41:08 PM »

If both parties dislike it that means it's a bad law and never should have passed, and this one wouldn't have if the truth had been told. Nobody actually read and understood what it was, and still don't. A good law is one that gets at least a majority of both parties to vote yes after reading.

i dunno... everyone hates speed limits, but they are probably pretty good to have.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: November 21, 2013, 03:53:33 PM »

i dunno... everyone hates speed limits, but they are probably pretty good to have.

Are speed limits voted on?  I would try another analogy.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: November 21, 2013, 10:35:11 PM »

U smell, how is that for an analogy you conservative nut job

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: November 21, 2013, 11:20:49 PM »

U smell, how is that for an analogy you conservative nut job

:D

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: November 22, 2013, 02:44:50 AM »
 :lol:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: November 22, 2013, 09:21:38 AM »
California says "no" to "the fix." http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/covered-california-obamacare-fix-decision

Seems like the blue states are generally balking at the fix because it undermines Obamacare, while the redder states are more inclined to at least try to accommodate the fix... because it undermines Obamacare. For example, Missouri's insurance commissioner announced that it will allow its insurers to keep offering their old plan - whether they can or will is another matter.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: November 23, 2013, 09:00:42 AM »
California says "no" to "the fix." http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/covered-california-obamacare-fix-decision

Seems like the blue states are generally balking at the fix because it undermines Obamacare, while the redder states are more inclined to at least try to accommodate the fix... because it undermines Obamacare. For example, Missouri's insurance commissioner announced that it will allow its insurers to keep offering their old plan - whether they can or will is another matter.

:facepalm:  @ the red states

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #1260 on: November 24, 2013, 02:59:48 PM »
We need to pass a law that makes it illegal for insurance to be expensive.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: November 24, 2013, 05:21:26 PM »

Maybe we should just get rid of insurance altogether.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: November 24, 2013, 05:29:25 PM »

survival of the fittest, i like where you are going with this.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: November 25, 2013, 12:35:35 AM »

it's mind blowing that health insurance is even a thing.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: November 25, 2013, 09:18:26 AM »

Totally, right? Healthcare should be free for all.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: November 25, 2013, 09:19:29 AM »

Maybe it just shouldn't cost as much as it does.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: November 25, 2013, 09:22:19 AM »

It makes even more sense that auto insurance be free for all since you have no control over other cars.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: November 25, 2013, 09:34:05 AM »

It makes even more sense that auto insurance be free for all since you have no control over other cars.

So you have complete control over your health? Why do we have emergency rooms?

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: November 25, 2013, 09:42:14 AM »
God, idiots. If you make getting sick illegal nobody needs insurance. Clearly the solution here is more government intervention, e.g. making it illegal to get sick.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: November 25, 2013, 09:43:34 AM »
I mean, its illegal to get in a car wreck and as a result we have none of those.  If getting sick were illegal only criminals would get sick and who cares if a criminal dies.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: November 25, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
Serious responses only, FSD. :dubious:

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: November 25, 2013, 10:12:10 AM »
How is my response any less serious than the subject of the OP?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: November 25, 2013, 10:27:55 AM »

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that you actually wanted to criminalize getting sick.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: November 25, 2013, 10:36:51 AM »

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that you actually wanted to criminalize getting sick.

Seems like a practical alternative to criminalizing not buying insurance.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: November 25, 2013, 10:39:32 AM »

Seems like a practical alternative to criminalizing not buying insurance.

Maybe in your mind it does.