Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 321160 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #2625 on: October 05, 2016, 11:10:07 PM »
it's the parents' baby and if they want to drop it or let its head dangle or whatever that's their right.

at the very least, the parents should be asked not just if they want to rub skins on their baby, but also if they'd like a nurse present to protect the baby while they do it.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: October 06, 2016, 12:27:24 AM »
the nurse asked my wife if she would like to do skin to skin

like, that's the commonly used phrase?

Yes. In c sections and vaginal births.

Did you not read why?

Yeah I read why, and that's rough ridin' stupid and shameful. Do you think it is SOP to charge for that? I can tell you from firsthand experience that it isn't.

I saw the reddit thread yesterday and there were a crap load of people saying it is standard,but maybe they were lying

Standard for the mother to hold the baby skin to skin, yep. Standard to charge a mother for holding her newborn, eff no; there's a reason this is a headline story. I got to give our first daughter to my wife after the birth, I held her first after I got back in the OR after the psycho midwife finally let me in. My wife got our second daughter first. Also point of clarification but nearly every first interaction between mother and child is skin to skin, not a lot of clothing happening during childbirth. It would be more uncommon for skin to polyester contact.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: October 06, 2016, 12:29:36 AM »
I think this is like airline baggage fees when fuel costs went way up. With the government negotiating fees for more medical services (medicaid, medicare), the hospitals need to increase the bottom line any way they can, like charge you to hold your newborn baby.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: October 06, 2016, 12:35:24 AM »
all good if the mom klan's up real quick?  jesus medical care is rough ridin' weird

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: October 06, 2016, 08:37:57 AM »
MIR, are you aware that it required an additional nurse to be present in this instance?  That's what the charge was for, the extra nurse.

I do agree with sys though that they should have been asked if they wanted the additional nurse at a charge.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: October 06, 2016, 09:00:41 AM »
MIR, are you aware that it required an additional nurse to be present in this instance?  That's what the charge was for, the extra nurse.

I do agree with sys though that they should have been asked if they wanted the additional nurse at a charge.

For the second time, yeah I read the article that I posted. Are you aware that holding your child after childbirth does not require an additional nurse because it happens in every single childbirth that happens like everywhere always. Stop trying to swim upstream, its ridiculous and there's no reasonable justification for it. Its just another case of the health care industry fleecing insurance companies and consumers. What's also not unusual about this is a hospital levying outlandish charges when it can be snuck in, it's a despicable practice that needs to be stopped.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: October 06, 2016, 09:13:41 AM »

For the second time, yeah I read the article that I posted. Are you aware that holding your child after childbirth does not require an additional nurse because it happens in every single childbirth that happens like everywhere always. Stop trying to swim upstream, its ridiculous and there's no reasonable justification for it. Its just another case of the health care industry fleecing insurance companies and consumers. What's also not unusual about this is a hospital levying outlandish charges when it can be snuck in, it's a despicable practice that needs to be stopped.

Experts are saying that for a c-section it requires an additional nurse.  I'm sure different hospitals have different policies.  I only ever shopped two hospitals but both I did had certain requirements dictating some terms of my son's birth.  For example one wouldn't allow filming, likely for liability reasons.  Anyway, if it's their policy then it's their policy, and the couple is free to give birth at any hospital they want with policies more in line with their wants as a consumer.  People are stupid in the fact that they show up to a hospital and never ask how much anything costs.  If you ask, they will tell you, we got full quotes down to the cent from both hospitals.  Seems like a worthwhile exercise to go through for the birth of a human being.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: October 06, 2016, 09:29:17 AM »

Did you not read why?

Yeah I read why, and that's rough ridin' stupid and shameful. Do you think it is SOP to charge for that? I can tell you from firsthand experience that it isn't.

I saw the reddit thread yesterday and there were a crap load of people saying it is standard,but maybe they were lying

Standard for the mother to hold the baby skin to skin, yep. Standard to charge a mother for holding her newborn, eff no; there's a reason this is a headline story. I got to give our first daughter to my wife after the birth, I held her first after I got back in the OR after the psycho midwife finally let me in. My wife got our second daughter first. Also point of clarification but nearly every first interaction between mother and child is skin to skin, not a lot of clothing happening during childbirth. It would be more uncommon for skin to polyester contact.

I meant the requiring an extra nurse. I asked my mom about this last night and she said it was standard at her employer, which is a group of like 7 hospitals in the Bay area. They just make sure that the baby doesn't get hurt and that you hold them the correct way. I would blame liability more than obamacare, but billing $40 for an extra nurse does not seem all that evil to me.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: October 06, 2016, 09:39:42 AM »

Did you not read why?

I meant the requiring an extra nurse. I asked my mom about this last night and she said it was standard at her employer, which is a group of like 7 hospitals in the Bay area. They just make sure that the baby doesn't get hurt and that you hold them the correct way. I would blame liability more than obamacare, but billing $40 for an extra nurse does not seem all that evil to me.

Ask her what the nurse(s) already in the OR does after the child is extracted. Ours took pictures for me of us. I'm glad this hospital can justify the charge but again it isn't SOP. Some hospitals can also justify charging patients/insurance for silly things like the scrubs the surgeon wears during a procedure but that doesn't make it right nor does it detract from my larger point about the medical industry's greed.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: October 06, 2016, 09:43:42 AM »
He literally just said his mom, in the biz, said it was SOP.  Literally. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: October 06, 2016, 09:45:35 AM »
Curious guys, if you change employers, do you just assume that what was standard at your old place is also standard at your new place?  Does standard imply all across the country for every place ever?  Or maybe it's rough ridin' possible that different businesses are run differently.  Mind blowing concept I know.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: October 06, 2016, 09:47:32 AM »
The hospital needs that second nurse there so they can charge $40. There really isn't another reason.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: October 06, 2016, 09:51:56 AM »
Most likely mirs hospital charged for it too, but just included it in the normal birth price instead of a separate line item

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: October 06, 2016, 10:28:41 AM »
The hospital needs that second nurse there so they can charge $40. There really isn't another reason.

Exactly. What does the $40 cover? It isn't like they're calling in another nurse and paying her for being in there. They are grabbing someone sitting at the desk to walk into the OR for five minutes to look at a newborn baby.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: October 06, 2016, 10:36:17 AM »

Hey dummy, she said its standard to have another nurse, lib7 didn't say anything about it being SOP for a line item charge for said nurse.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2640 on: October 06, 2016, 10:42:37 AM »
If the hospital just raised the delivery charge by $40 and didn't have the line item, and just charged everyone the same even if they didn't do the skin to skin thing, would you be as upset?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: October 06, 2016, 10:52:30 AM »

Hey dummy, she said its standard to have another nurse, lib7 didn't say anything about it being SOP for a line item charge for said nurse.

God forbid a consumer would have to pay for someone to do something.   :horrorsurprise:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: October 06, 2016, 11:27:19 AM »

God forbid a consumer would have to pay for someone to do something.   :horrorsurprise:

What are you paying the second nurse to do? Make sure you aren't going to drop the baby while also holding a camera so that if you actually did drop the baby she wouldn't be able to do a damned thing about it?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: October 06, 2016, 11:46:09 AM »

What are you paying the second nurse to do? Make sure you aren't going to drop the baby while also holding a camera so that if you actually did drop the baby she wouldn't be able to do a damned thing about it?

Just her existence is worthy of compensation in a practical sense.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: October 06, 2016, 12:36:11 PM »
Why does it matter if it's SOP? Wouldn't that make it worse?

It really is indefensible to charge for crap like that. If charges like that are ok, they could literally assign a separate nurse to perform or observe every single task and just run the meter. "Do you need a drink of water? Let me get the water drink getting and administering nurse. Someone is actually shadowing her today, but we will only charge you for half his time."

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: October 06, 2016, 12:48:43 PM »
Your room rate includes the water fetcher, why do you feel that person or the hospital should do it for free?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: October 06, 2016, 12:52:47 PM »
Why does it matter if it's SOP? Wouldn't that make it worse?

It really is indefensible to charge for crap like that. If charges like that are ok, they could literally assign a separate nurse to perform or observe every single task and just run the meter. "Do you need a drink of water? Let me get the water drink getting and administering nurse. Someone is actually shadowing her today, but we will only charge you for half his time."

It's not like you don't have a choice. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: October 06, 2016, 01:10:20 PM »
Your room rate includes the water fetcher, why do you feel that person or the hospital should do it for free?

Why doesn't the room rate also include the photo taker? The bill was more than $13,000, so I would think a photo might be included in that.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: October 06, 2016, 01:14:56 PM »

Why doesn't the room rate also include the photo taker? The bill was more than $13,000, so I would think a photo might be included in that.

Free baby delivery with purchase of $13000 photo session!

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: October 06, 2016, 01:15:30 PM »
Maybe it does, I doubt either of us know the specifics of this hospitals billing