Author Topic: Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)  (Read 176477 times)

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
Re: Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)
« Reply #1275 on: July 17, 2014, 08:00:31 PM »
Question for elite construction/HVAC cats. How important is it to have fiberglass encapsulated lining on your HVAC system? Our new house apparently was built with just fiberglass lining (?), which I've heard can be bad for the lungs long-term. I am a distance runner for my career and I moonlight as an opera singer so I need my lungs for a long long time.
Do you mean duct board?

It will last a long time and be safe as long as it was installed correctly.

I mean, I guess? Those were the terms I jotted down when I was on the phone talking to potential inspectors. This one guy went out of his way to call me back later and talk to me about encapsulated fiberglass lining or whatever. So our house hasn't been inspected yet, but this is something that'll show up on an official home inspection, right?

Can you HVAC studs give me some terms to ask the inspector/builder about? Stuff that, like, I should definitely make sure they check? I will write them down and bring them into the inspection with me.

why did you hire a home inspector that needs to be reminded what to check?
emaw

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: July 17, 2014, 08:32:06 PM »
we haven't hired anybody, we just called around for price quotes and one guy started spouting a bunch of random unsolicited stuff about encapsulated fiberglass.

:dunno:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1277 on: July 17, 2014, 08:36:59 PM »
Question for elite construction/HVAC cats. How important is it to have fiberglass encapsulated lining on your HVAC system? Our new house apparently was built with just fiberglass lining (?), which I've heard can be bad for the lungs long-term. I am a distance runner for my career and I moonlight as an opera singer so I need my lungs for a long long time.
Do you mean duct board?

I mean, I guess? Those were the terms I jotted down when I was on the phone talking to potential inspectors. This one guy went out of his way to call me back later and talk to me about encapsulated fiberglass lining or whatever. So our house hasn't been inspected yet, but this is something that'll show up on an official home inspection, right?

Can you HVAC studs give me some terms to ask the inspector/builder about? Stuff that, like, I should definitely make sure they check? I will write them down and bring them into the inspection with me.
I'd hire an hvac contractor to inspect the system separately from the home inspector. Most HI have no clue where hvac is concerned.

Back to your OP, I misread the insulation type. I wouldn't lose much sleep about encapsulated insulation vice standard duct liner. If there's a concern, buy a particulate counter and check for airborne. I doubt you'll see much in the way of insulation fibers.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: July 17, 2014, 08:41:19 PM »
make sure your ducts are actually all connected, for starters

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: July 17, 2014, 08:41:47 PM »
yup, make sure to have an hvac salesman inspect your hvac system so you get an impartial report on if you need to replace that hvac system or not for thousands of dollars.

also make sure to get the honeywell salesman's advice on which thermostat to use.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1280 on: July 17, 2014, 08:42:52 PM »
make sure your ducts are actually all connected, for starters
Heh. Wise man.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1281 on: July 17, 2014, 08:44:11 PM »
yup, make sure to have an hvac salesman inspect your hvac system so you get an impartial report on if you need to replace that hvac system or not for thousands of dollars.

also make sure to get the honeywell salesman's advice on which thermostat to use.
Actually I'd recommend someone certified in building performance and whole house analysis. Not likely to find a  salesman that can perform the required testing.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: July 17, 2014, 08:59:51 PM »
It's a brand new house, fwiw. Not quite completed but should be in about two weeks.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: July 18, 2014, 08:33:05 AM »
Can't you just install like one of those ones that you can detach and has a hose and you can hold it with your hand and manipulate it how you want?  That's how they all are in Europe so I assume it's better (but I don't know why).

you mean a detachable wand?

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: July 18, 2014, 08:36:20 AM »
we haven't hired anybody, we just called around for price quotes and one guy started spouting a bunch of random unsolicited stuff about encapsulated fiberglass.

you don't just hire a home inspector out of the phone book.   Get referrals and ask to see copies of reports on properties to see how thorough they are.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: July 18, 2014, 08:37:20 AM »
Do you mean duct board?

I'd hire an hvac contractor to inspect the system separately from the home inspector. Most HI have no clue where hvac is concerned.

Back to your OP, I misread the insulation type. I wouldn't lose much sleep about encapsulated insulation vice standard duct liner. If there's a concern, buy a particulate counter and check for airborne. I doubt you'll see much in the way of insulation fibers.

our HI has MEP contractors come in and review those trades as part of his services.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: July 18, 2014, 08:38:52 AM »
It's a brand new house, fwiw. Not quite completed but should be in about two weeks.

still want to have it inspected obviously....lots of shitty builders out there.   at a minimum you want a NABI inspector, but get referrals from realtors, lenders, etc.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: July 18, 2014, 08:40:17 AM »
Say, anyone here know someone that died while taking a shower?

I do. :frown:

Yeah, me too.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: July 18, 2014, 08:40:52 AM »
doesn't CNS have a haunted shower now?

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: July 19, 2014, 03:22:20 PM »
people who have sprinkler systems - how do these things work? is there like an on/off switch somewhere? timer? is your water bill bananas?
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: July 19, 2014, 03:37:15 PM »

people who have sprinkler systems - how do these things work? is there like an on/off switch somewhere? timer? is your water bill bananas?

Have never not owned one so can't comment on bill differences but you can set them to do whatever you want. Come on at a set time on set days for set amounts at each station. Can't imagine not having one.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: July 19, 2014, 04:00:37 PM »
A few questions for SD:

1) How's the sod doing? How tall is it?
2) How many times has Mrs. SD used the giant tub?
3) Quick thermostat update, plz.
4) Did you ever buy those soaker houses for the plants that the sprinklers don't reach, or are you still watering them w/ the hose? are they dead?

If you're only going to answer a few, answer in order of priority: 4, 3, 1, 2.

TIA

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: July 19, 2014, 04:03:19 PM »
1) ok, mowed it three times. It's kind of brownish because we had to have the sprinkler shut off for a few days to replace a valve

2) bath total is 2 and no sign of additional baths on the horizon

3) love the nest. So convenient and like the reports it sends me on usage.

4) alive. Water about once a week. Usually mrs Dave does it while I mow

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: July 19, 2014, 04:53:51 PM »

dunno, dunno, yes, yes.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: July 19, 2014, 04:57:32 PM »
doesn't CNS have a haunted shower now?

Yes.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: July 19, 2014, 05:16:43 PM »

you don't just hire a home inspector out of the phone book.   Get referrals and ask to see copies of reports on properties to see how thorough they are.

All the people I called are referrals from friends and realtors, and I've got a bunch of stud reports already. :gocho:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: July 19, 2014, 07:01:47 PM »
SD please update on lawn care equipment.  Did you stick with battery powered trimmers? 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: July 19, 2014, 07:48:17 PM »

SD please update on lawn care equipment.  Did you stick with battery powered trimmers?

Yes, it works great. Can trim, edge and blow off the place in one charge.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: July 29, 2014, 08:55:06 AM »
steve dave, get a toaster that burns a selfie on it and your house is complete.

You wife will love seeing your face every morning with her cup of coffee.

http://www.burntimpressions.com/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: July 29, 2014, 08:56:41 AM »
I'm going to mow my grass again tonight guys