Author Topic: Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)  (Read 176492 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Help Steve Dave Build A House
« Reply #850 on: April 23, 2014, 09:26:17 AM »
I was going to get a Nest a while ago and ended up not getting it.  Bunch of super bad reviews on Amazon and other places. Basically they said that the Nest would not remember settings if it lost power and can cause freezing issues in the winter if it occurs at the right time, some ppl saying it trips out often and just runs super hot heat uncontrollably, some ppl saying it trips out and runs AC and Heat simultaneously.  Nest actually responded to some of these reviews and said that they recognize the problem and were working on it for the next Gen.

Also, some of the reviews were by service tech types saying they love the Nest because it keeps them busy and getting paid.

I don't have one, but just seems like a lot of neg response.   :dunno:

They sound awesome if none of the above is true.

this is pretty much true of every product sold on amazon.  these are complicated pieces of electronics, they break.  when they do, you return them and get it replaced.

fwiw you need to make sure whatever thermostat you're looking at plays nice with the furnace/ac you're buying

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: April 23, 2014, 09:26:24 AM »
Apparently when you are having a contractor do some work at your house, they want both spouses to be there to discuss it...How annoying. I told Gooch to tell them that in our marriage we allow each other to make decisions.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: April 23, 2014, 09:27:16 AM »
Nest looks gimmicky, I got a Honeywell touch screen thing with a few zones and I can set its schedule from my tablet and freeze out my 6 kids if they aren't behaving all while sitting at my desk.

Offline yoEMAW

• The Engineer
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 23, 2014, 09:30:50 AM »
Apparently when you are having a contractor do some work at your house, they want both spouses to be there to discuss it...How annoying. I told Gooch to tell them that in our marriage we allow each other to make decisions.

That was the nicest/least sexist way they could think of to tell you that they wanted to run it by the man of the house first.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 23, 2014, 09:35:09 AM »

That was the nicest/least sexist way they could think of to tell you that they wanted to run it by the man of the house first.

No, Gooch is scheduling the appointments but they want me to be there too. (Hence that is why I told Gooch to tell them that we allow each other to make decisions.) And it is only for an initial estimate.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: April 23, 2014, 09:39:38 AM »

No, Gooch is scheduling the appointments but they want me to be there too. (Hence that is why I told Gooch to tell them that we allow each other to make decisions.) And it is only for an initial estimate.

They want you there to harp on him to agree to the remodeling on the spot.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 23, 2014, 09:42:09 AM »

They want you there to harp on him to agree to the remodeling on the spot.

I'm sure that the reason is that they don't want to have to change things because the other spouse doesn't like the way things were agreed to...but this is just for an initial estimate. We aren't picking out cabinets.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #857 on: April 23, 2014, 09:42:28 AM »

They want to close on one trip. If both decision makers aren't there, they are less likely to be able to close the deal. Plus it gives the one decision maker an easy put to delay the deal. Many contractors won't even schedule without both spouses present.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 23, 2014, 09:47:18 AM »

They want to close on one trip. If both decision makers aren't there, they are less likely to be able to close the deal. Plus it gives the one decision maker an easy put to delay the deal. Many contractors won't even schedule without both spouses present.

What they don't realize is that I am the one who is going to delay things...He would agree to pay whatever they want much quicker.
And IT IS JUST AN INITIAL ESTIMATE...I don't have time to take off work and drive all the way across town just so they can give a rough estimate of how much it is going to cost....and do that with all the places he is getting estimates from....and then just end up doing it how he wants anyway.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 23, 2014, 09:50:26 AM »
have you tried punching them or threatening them or telling them that? any of those?

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: April 23, 2014, 09:54:44 AM »
I would just say that you're going to both be there.  When the contractor shows up, tell him that something came up at work and you won't be there. 

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 23, 2014, 09:56:19 AM »
have you tried punching them or threatening them or telling them that? any of those?

I'd have to be there in person to punch them.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 23, 2014, 09:56:55 AM »
handle your crap gooch

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #863 on: April 23, 2014, 10:15:49 AM »
getting ready to order the thermostat/humidifier controls. do both the nest and the honeywell one do humidifier controls as well? of all the honeywells which one is best? they have a million.
This is a nice setup. Can control humidifier. Also dehumidifies by overcooling up to 3F. Is internet accessible if you add Gateway ($84). Uses wireless outdoor and indoor sensors. This kit also includes portable comfort control.

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-YTHX9321R5061-Prestige%C2%AE-Comfort-System/dp/B005Y29KL4

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #864 on: April 23, 2014, 10:45:14 AM »

I'd have to be there in person to punch them.

Then they've already called your bluff.

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: April 24, 2014, 08:06:27 AM »
DNR whole thread so sorry if this has been covered but are you doing the slam-proof drawers?  Those are the tits.

No, we did full extensions but not the slow closers. It was $50 per drawer at about a million drawers for the slow close ones. the full extendsions were only $30. We also looked at the slow close cabinet doors but they were annoyingly slow to close.

what about slow close toilet seats?  They're great but they spoil you. Can't count how many times I've slammed the seat when away from home because I'm used to the slow close. We've got the slow close on the cabinets and drawers and love them. Doesn't seem to slow. might be adjustable.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 24, 2014, 08:09:24 AM »
slow close stuff weirds me out.  i like to feel in control of toilets and drawers

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 24, 2014, 08:38:06 AM »
I love my Nest.  :dunno:

That being said I bet a lot of dumbasses buy them online and don't know how to install them correctly.  Mixing up the wires would cause some major issues.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 24, 2014, 08:41:46 AM »

That being said I bet a lot of dumbasses buy them online and don't know how to install them correctly.  Mixing up the wires would cause some major issues.

does it control your humidifier (if you have one)?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 24, 2014, 08:49:42 AM »

does it control your humidifier (if you have one)?

Yes/no.  Like, if in the winter time you check the humidity via Nest and it's low, you can turn on the fan only via Nest and when the fan comes on the humidifier runs.  But you can't set a humidifier setting on Nest (like 35% humidity for example) and have it automatically run to maintain that minimum humidity.  My furnace is oversized and very efficient so it doesn't run very much in the winter and therefore the humidifier isn't able to give much humidity boost.  If I leave it completely alone it's around 25% throughout the winter. 

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: April 24, 2014, 08:51:17 AM »
I can't wait to see my room. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 29, 2014, 10:11:05 AM »
Purchased sonos stuff today with Berkshire discount. Playbar $543, sub $481, play 5 $310, bridge $38

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 29, 2014, 10:13:03 AM »
did you end up getting a sonos thermostat which adjusts to party rock levels?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: April 29, 2014, 10:25:03 AM »
did you end up getting a sonos thermostat which adjusts to party rock levels?

that would be sweet, you play "Hot in Herre" and it cranks it to 95

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: April 29, 2014, 10:26:42 AM »
Purchased sonos stuff today with Berkshire discount. Playbar $543, sub $481, play 5 $310, bridge $38

I bet that system would sound bangin' from a tent in the front lawn. #FYBH

also, tent = camping @asava