Author Topic: Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)  (Read 177182 times)

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Help Steve Dave Build A House
« Reply #575 on: January 14, 2014, 04:59:40 PM »

Don't be fooled.  HVAC "professionals" are BIG TIME scam artists
Huge. Sure pays well though.

Residential HVAC professionals are huge scam artists. A furnace that costs 2-3k to buy from the factory that gets sold to people for 10k is ridiculous.

Disclaimer: I'm not on the residential side and i'm not a rep. I'm an engineer that designs commercial hvac. So, I have little bias to defend crooks like that.
Then who do you have install the unit? Do it yourself?

Bingo. If you're not comfortable sealing up and modifying ductwork and running lineset, hire someone. Regardless though, you'll have to hire someone to come and charge the lines...that part isn't terribly expensive though.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 14, 2014, 05:02:04 PM »
Chilled beams duh.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 14, 2014, 05:05:54 PM »

Residential HVAC professionals are huge scam artists. A furnace that costs 2-3k to buy from the factory that gets sold to people for 10k is ridiculous.

Disclaimer: I'm not on the residential side and i'm not a rep. I'm an engineer that designs commercial hvac. So, I have little bias to defend crooks like that.
So your saying you have no experience actually running a residential hvac business and don't understand the margins necessary to keep one going. Got it.

Not saying that at all. I know how to run a business and make money, but I don't feel like getting bent over by someone charging an arm and a leg for things just because the average consumer doesn't understand it at all. Same thing goes for auto repairs. I read an article about that sort of the thing in the recent past and residential HVAC and auto repair were some of the highest margins in the consumer sector.

Here is some reading material for you:

http://www.energyvanguard.com/blog-building-science-HERS-BPI/bid/54855/Are-HVAC-Contractors-Using-a-Business-Model-That-Leads-to-Ripoffs

http://www.today.com/id/48080346/ns/today-today_rossen_reports/t/rossen-reports-are-air-conditioning-repairers-being-competent-honest/#.UCJRZ0Sz6Tg

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 14, 2014, 05:32:01 PM »
Has the rest of the thread been this good?  If so, I'm going back to read IMMEDIATELY.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #579 on: January 14, 2014, 05:39:22 PM »

So your saying you have no experience actually running a residential hvac business and don't understand the margins necessary to keep one going. Got it.

Not saying that at all. I know how to run a business and make money, but I don't feel like getting bent over by someone charging an arm and a leg for things just because the average consumer doesn't understand it at all. Same thing goes for auto repairs. I read an article about that sort of the thing in the recent past and residential HVAC and auto repair were some of the highest margins in the consumer sector.

http://www.energyvanguard.com/blog-building-science-HERS-BPI/bid/54855/Are-HVAC-Contractors-Using-a-Business-Model-That-Leads-to-Ripoffs

http://www.today.com/id/48080346/ns/today-today_rossen_reports/t/rossen-reports-are-air-conditioning-repairers-being-competent-honest/#.UCJRZ0Sz6Tg
What do you think is a minimum GP % for a residential hvac company to keep the doors open for the long haul?

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 14, 2014, 05:47:43 PM »
I don't think you should be asking an HVAC guy questions about heated floors.  He probably has no clue about them.

False. I actually know quite a bit about heated floors, heated panels for walls, snowmelt systems for sidewalks, etc. If you've ever been to a KSU bball or football game, you've seen my work.

I slipped and fell on an icy sidewalk outside of the OOD, broke my elbow.  Nice work  :Yuck:

Which side of the OOD?

you know damn well you son of a bitch

Sorry 'stone. Hopefully the elbow is alright? That system (like all the typical snowmelt systems, it's designed to melt roughly 2"-3" of ice per hour.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 14, 2014, 05:50:20 PM »

What do you think is a minimum GP % for a residential hvac company to keep the doors open for the long haul?

That is a very loaded question. Like any company, the multiplier depends on more factors than we can list here.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 14, 2014, 05:51:50 PM »
Chilled beams duh.

Too humid around the midwest to be a great application in my opinion. If your building is really tight and the controls are properly done, it's possible. I just don't want the risk of not maintaining perfect conditions and having my walls sweat or ceilings drop from condensation.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #583 on: January 14, 2014, 05:51:56 PM »
Heh.  ;)

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 14, 2014, 05:53:15 PM »
Heh.  ;)

I take it you don't agree? Enlighten us on the quick and dirty set % of keeping a business open...i'm sure i'm not the only one that is curious  :popcorn:

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #585 on: January 14, 2014, 06:48:33 PM »
Heh.  ;)

I take it you don't agree? Enlighten us on the quick and dirty set % of keeping a business open...i'm sure i'm not the only one that is curious  :popcorn:
It's a simple number. I'd expect someone with your vast knowledge to know. I'm shocked.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 14, 2014, 07:12:25 PM »
My house is going to be so choice guys. Thanks.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 14, 2014, 07:13:48 PM »

don't forget i called the locker room for the CWS, friend.  i think daris had a tent in the yard IIRC

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 14, 2014, 07:16:47 PM »
Chilled beams duh.

Too humid around the midwest to be a great application in my opinion. If your building is really tight and the controls are properly done, it's possible. I just don't want the risk of not maintaining perfect conditions and having my walls sweat or ceilings drop from condensation.
  Myth repeatedly disproved by science.

Chilled beams duh.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 14, 2014, 07:27:38 PM »
Has the rest of the thread been this good?  If so, I'm going back to read IMMEDIATELY.

it's been a pretty entertaining thread.  very much a ditr. these last few pages have been the best tho.
emaw

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 14, 2014, 07:39:54 PM »
Heh.  ;)

It's a simple number. I'd expect someone with your vast knowledge to know. I'm shocked.

So you don't run the numbers of the business, you just are the installer right?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 14, 2014, 08:37:35 PM »
i think Jason Whitlock's house has started to rub off on ShellShock, and i love it.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 14, 2014, 08:51:33 PM »
Heh.  ;)

Fix your deck you hillbilly

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 14, 2014, 09:15:57 PM »

don't forget i called the locker room for the CWS, friend.  i think daris had a tent in the yard IIRC

front yard to be more specific

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 14, 2014, 09:19:21 PM »

one of my best friends is an engineer that designs commericial hvac. you're not him are you?

Not sure? Maybe?

yeah i was just kidding. you are not him. he lives in texas. just made partner in his firm!

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 15, 2014, 08:44:58 AM »

one of my best friends is an engineer that designs commericial hvac. you're not him are you?

Not sure? Maybe?

yeah i was just kidding. you are not him. he lives in texas. just made partner in his firm!

Cheers to your friend then! Making partner is a big deal in our industry.

Off topic: Are you actually an officer of the law in the KC metro area? If so, the next time i'm pulled over, i'm going to ask the officer if he's a goEMAW fan/you.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: January 15, 2014, 09:17:58 AM »

Not sure? Maybe?

Off topic: Are you actually an officer of the law in the KC metro area? If so, the next time i'm pulled over, i'm going to ask the officer if he's a goEMAW fan/you.

i have an even better suggestion for you partner, how about you just try to keep it under the speed limit and do your best to obey the rules of the road.  :cop:

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 15, 2014, 01:12:02 PM »

Not sure? Maybe?

i have an even better suggestion for you partner, how about you just try to keep it under the speed limit and do your best to obey the rules of the road.  :cop:

How else am I ever going to meet you then RD?  :confused: It is all a play to meet the man behind the name....

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #598 on: January 15, 2014, 02:11:40 PM »
Heh.  ;)

So you don't run the numbers of the business, you just are the installer right?
American dream. I built a business and sold it. On to the next adventure.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #599 on: January 15, 2014, 02:13:06 PM »
Heh.  ;)

Fix your deck you hillbilly
Maybe. We're thinking about connecting the master bedroom deck to the living room deck. I'll probably stain and seal when we do it.