Author Topic: Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)  (Read 176481 times)

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Help Steve Dave Build A House
« Reply #500 on: January 13, 2014, 04:35:17 PM »
ShellShock is obviously in the pocket of BIG HVAC

I do alot of BIG HVAC. For as young as I am, the things that i've designed and the places that i've done work at would make many people blush...

EDIT: Not meaning to toot my own horn and sound like an bad person, I just want to let SD know that I know what i'm talking about with thermostats, temp sensors, whole house BAS, etc. You're in good hands SD.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 13, 2014, 04:42:49 PM »
SD let me try to root out if he's legit right here...

ShellShock what's your preferred network protocol for residential applications and why?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 13, 2014, 05:23:48 PM »

I do alot of BIG HVAC. For as young as I am, the things that i've designed and the places that i've done work at would make many people blush...

EDIT: Not meaning to toot my own horn and sound like an bad person, I just want to let SD know that I know what i'm talking about with thermostats, temp sensors, whole house BAS, etc. You're in good hands SD.

i don't mean to toot your horn either but when you called the next a piece of garbage you made yourself sound like a complete mongloid. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 13, 2014, 05:44:22 PM »

ShellShock what's your preferred network protocol for residential applications and why?

:facepalm:

There are residential automation systems out there but it's tough to justify the cost of doing that for 99% of people. If SD has the money to spend, I would suggest putting in a home automation system.

The actual protocol of most systems now a days on the commercial hvac side of things is BACnet, followed by LON if you're old school. This is just the 1's and 0's of the components. You'll still need a front end to interface with all of it. TRANE, Honeywell, York, etc all have those types of applications, but you'll have to adapt the commercial ones for your house. I know that wattstopper and lutron have lighting system controls that will also control other hvac and house stuff. So it all depends on what you want in the end in your house.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 13, 2014, 05:46:30 PM »

i don't mean to toot your horn either but when you called the next Nest a piece of garbage you made yourself sound like a complete mongloid.

I'm curious as to your thoughts on why the Nest isn't a complete piece of garbage? Btw, FYP above.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 13, 2014, 06:18:22 PM »

There are residential automation systems out there but it's tough to justify the cost of doing that for 99% of people. If SD has the money to spend, I would suggest putting in a home automation system.

The actual protocol of most systems now a days on the commercial hvac side of things is BACnet, followed by LON if you're old school. This is just the 1's and 0's of the components. You'll still need a front end to interface with all of it. TRANE, Honeywell, York, etc all have those types of applications, but you'll have to adapt the commercial ones for your house. I know that wattstopper and lutron have lighting system controls that will also control other hvac and house stuff. So it all depends on what you want in the end in your house.

look at this rough ridin' mongloid.  knows a lot about ac units.  and proud of it too.  :flush:

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 13, 2014, 06:26:25 PM »
hey shellshock, my father's in-floor heating tube system had some cheap plastic part bust (maybe a fan or something, dunno, didn't pay too much attention) and it caused the whole thing to tear itself apart (motor, computer, etc).  cost like $600, or maybe $1000.  he was real pissed about it.  maybe you should let your friends at big hvac know so they improve the quality of the plastic part.

if you need the name of the part, i can get him to tell the story again and i'll pay attention this time.  he loves to tell the story.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 13, 2014, 06:54:37 PM »
hey shellshock, my father's in-floor heating tube system had some cheap plastic part bust (maybe a fan or something, dunno, didn't pay too much attention) and it caused the whole thing to tear itself apart (motor, computer, etc).  cost like $600, or maybe $1000.  he was real pissed about it.  maybe you should let your friends at big hvac know so they improve the quality of the plastic part.

if you need the name of the part, i can get him to tell the story again and i'll pay attention this time.  he loves to tell the story.

I'm curious about what brand it was? A huge problem with in-floor heating is that it doesn't get installed right the majority of the time.

...still confused how/why there was a fan and/or computer attached to the system though...maybe you don't have all the information?

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 13, 2014, 06:55:42 PM »

look at this rough ridin' mongloid.  knows a lot about ac units.  and proud of it too.  :flush:

look at this rough ridin' mongloid. knows nothing about ac unts. and proud of it too.  :flush:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 13, 2014, 07:02:55 PM »
maybe you don't have all the information?

i just gave you all the information i have.  i'll collect more, and more accurate, information in the near future.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: January 13, 2014, 07:05:56 PM »
maybe you don't have all the information?

i just gave you all the information i have.  i'll collect more, and more accurate, information in the near future.

i think that was his subtle, toot your own horn, way of calling you a liar, sys.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 13, 2014, 07:21:38 PM »
Guys, thanks

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #512 on: January 13, 2014, 07:23:51 PM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 13, 2014, 07:24:09 PM »
i think that was his subtle, toot your own horn, way of calling you a liar, sys.

it might not have been an underfloor tubing heat system, but other than that, my story is completely accurate.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 13, 2014, 07:29:26 PM »
I don't think you should be asking an HVAC guy questions about heated floors.  He probably has no clue about them.

Offline RONE

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 13, 2014, 07:30:15 PM »
I installed an Ecobee in my house last month. I'm very happy with it.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 13, 2014, 07:30:26 PM »
i bet he knows an assload about heated floors

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 13, 2014, 07:31:38 PM »
I installed an Ecobee in my house last month. I'm very happy with it.

trasel rone

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 13, 2014, 07:33:55 PM »
Well, I guess there's no harm in asking.  But I wouldn't pay for something based on what an HVAC guy has to say about a heated floor.  First choice would probably be to go to a place that does kitchens and baths.  They'd probably know all about heated floor fans and stuff.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 13, 2014, 07:44:13 PM »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 13, 2014, 07:51:05 PM »
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #521 on: January 13, 2014, 07:53:10 PM »

Guys, thanks
How is the progress?

We have a foundation and a dirt pile!
The pile of dirt was the best part of construction for our kids. Loads of fun.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 13, 2014, 08:19:23 PM »

Guys, thanks
How is the progress?

We have a foundation and a dirt pile!
The pile of dirt was the best part of construction for our kids. Loads of fun.

SD, the advice I'm about to give is absolutely elite level.  The pile of dirt is a big step. If you let them half ass a pile of dirt, what do you think they'll do come complicated crap.  Half ass it too? No, they'll quarter ass it because it's complicated. You have to yell at them and tell them the pile of dirt is not big enough. Really put your foot down. Threaten to pull the plug on the whole damn thing.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 13, 2014, 08:29:20 PM »
very risky pouring concrete in the weather.  foundation problems, please pick up on line one.  on the courtesy phone line one please.  paging you now to the phone on the pole by the menswear dept.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 13, 2014, 08:32:06 PM »
I don't think you should be asking an HVAC guy questions about heated floors.  He probably has no clue about them.

well it might not be a heated floor if you've been paying attention.