Author Topic: How good is Will Howard???  (Read 115161 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: How good is Will Howard???
« Reply #1350 on: October 15, 2023, 08:47:27 AM »
Mods, change thread title to How Done Is Will Howard?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: October 15, 2023, 08:53:59 AM »
Why are people being mean to Will? Obviously Avery is better but Will won a Dr. Pepper for us and seems like a great kid.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: October 15, 2023, 09:06:30 AM »
I said it in a different thread but I’m pretty excited at the idea of Will being the backup again. Looking back I think it was significant that he was never clearly “the guy” until the very end of last season. He’s got the physical attributes and skills to be a great QB, he just really struggles under pressure at times.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: October 15, 2023, 07:00:18 PM »
Why are people being mean to Will? Obviously Avery is better but Will won a Dr. Pepper for us and seems like a great kid.

#1cat
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: October 16, 2023, 07:48:17 AM »
As a KSU Cat fan, I hope we never see Will Howard take a snap again and that Will goes on to live a very joyous remainder of his time at KSU and a happy and healthy life after football. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: October 16, 2023, 09:26:24 AM »
I said it in a different thread but I’m pretty excited at the idea of Will being the backup again. Looking back I think it was significant that he was never clearly “the guy” until the very end of last season. He’s got the physical attributes and skills to be a great QB, he just really struggles under pressure at times.
I'm not so sure about that.  He's never really thrown a "pretty ball" imo.  He's been pretty limited pocket-mobility-wise this season.  He's big and has an OK arm and can run OK.  I do love him though for what he did for us last year and as a person.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: October 16, 2023, 09:33:35 AM »
If Will has an early INT this Saturday, I'd bench him.

What are you going to do if Avery comes in and looks like crap partially because he's had limited first team snaps in practice. He's been preparing like a backup then you're going to have him come in and clean someone else's mess.

If Will is going to be benched for Avery it needs to be because Will got hurt or the decision was made during the week so Avery and the entire offense can properly prepare, this isn't PlayStation. I keep hearing from people, who I'll take at their work that they know what they're talking about, that the receivers have not been good, that's gonna change with a quarterback who hasn't been prepared to run the offense?

I mean, we’d put Will back in. I don’t think it’s as complex as the scenario you’ve concocted in your head is making it out to be. If we put in Avery and he’s worse than Will, then we put Will back in. Simple. Might that mess up his rhythm? Maybe, but the fact that we’re even having this conversation in the first place means his rhythm hasn’t been that good. We’ve lost two games we absolutely should’ve won. Is that all on Will? Of course not. But frankly we’re better than our 3-2 record.

You think that's good for the long and short term for either of them? You'd think we've seen enough examples of quarterback shuffling, at K-State alone, to know it doesn't work. We literally just saw it on Friday night with Oklahoma State. Ell Roberson & Marc Dunn, the entire 2004 & 05 seasons, Jake Waters & Daniel Sams, Joe Hubener & Cody Cook, Alex Delton & Skylar Thompson. Those were all sister's situations where the coaches couldn't decide who the guy was, then when they finally did, we almost instantly got better.

I mean we kind of did that last year even if it was injury-driven. And I'd say Roberson and Waters and Thompson ended up about as well as you could expect in the long term. Plus Cook and Bazooka were both seniors, weren't they?
We did it last year, but I don’t think there’s a clear case to be made that it benefitted us. It seemed like Howard was clearly the better QB.

Not that anyone should mind getting Avery in for a few packages here and there like Taysum Hill with New Orleans. That’s quite a bit different than covering for poor starting QB performance though.

Maybe this is the bigger problem? The coaches not identifying the best QB:dunno:

They figured it out, but a game too late?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: October 16, 2023, 09:36:56 AM »
Will is our Henry Rowengartner.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: October 16, 2023, 10:52:44 AM »
Best backup in college football.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: October 16, 2023, 11:48:44 AM »
Will is our Henry Rowengartner.

Can he throw a frozen rope to home plate from the outfield bleachers?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: October 16, 2023, 12:20:57 PM »
Iowa Hawkeyes need Will Howard for 2024.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: October 16, 2023, 12:54:57 PM »
Will should be Trav Kelce'd. 

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: October 16, 2023, 06:13:58 PM »

:horrorsurprise:

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: October 16, 2023, 07:14:36 PM »
Not gonna happen
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: October 16, 2023, 09:30:37 PM »

As what, they barely know what a forward pass is
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: October 16, 2023, 09:31:23 PM »

100% agree, and I was also happy to see him pumped for Avery. He's a team player

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How good is Will Howard[emoji47]
« Reply #1366 on: October 21, 2023, 08:37:46 PM »
I truly believe that alternating Avery on drives is just as much to de-pressurize Will to make him better as it is to get our speedster stud on the field.

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: How good is Will Howard[emoji47]
« Reply #1367 on: October 21, 2023, 08:47:35 PM »
I truly believe that alternating Avery on drives is just as much to de-pressurize Will to make him better as it is to get our speedster stud on the field.

Agreed, and a very big-brain move to please the people by putting Avery in on the opening snap

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: October 21, 2023, 09:25:00 PM »
Mods, change thread title to How Done Is Will Howard?

As a KSU Cat fan, I hope we never see Will Howard take a snap again and that Will goes on to live a very joyous remainder of his time at KSU and a happy and healthy life after football.

RECORD WATCH

In the secondary, the Red Raiders like to play man coverage and have a lot of length as well. The secondary is also very aggressive and will look to make plays on the ball.

might break the single game interception record

idiots

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: October 22, 2023, 07:04:17 PM »

It's silly and Texas will murder us if we keep doing it. I got all kinds of crap for predicting that Avery would be a day 1 starter the day he signed, that being said they just need Will to be the quarterback. Give Avery a couple of drives and random plays. Keep Will the starter until he shows he's no longer capable. We've had one of the most efficient offenses in the conference and country all year. I feel like this every other drive thing is going to screw then both up.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: October 22, 2023, 08:42:47 PM »
If we consistently saw the Howard that we saw last night, we don't need AJ (though I still think he'd be valuable to bring in for certain packages/situations). Obviously, that didn't happen at all vs. OSU and has been sporadic in other games. For the most part, Will took what was available last night and didn't force stuff. If he can do that most of the time, we're good.

I do think the alternating possessions will go at some point - either because Howard fully settles down or a legit defense stuffs it - but I imagine it's actually mentally beneficial for both because they know exactly what the dealio is and can mentally prepare - as opposed to someone getting yanked, not knowing if/when they'll go back in, etc.

As weird as it sounds, there's a degree of certainty to this concept and it's working (for now).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: October 22, 2023, 08:58:35 PM »
I agree but I'm not sure the QBs knew they would be alternating possessions. I'd feel better about it if they knew that was the case but I got the impression that CKx2 were playing it by feel. Will seemed kind of surly during his post game interview. Don't know who asked the "proud of Avery" question, but that was wack.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: October 22, 2023, 09:14:39 PM »
If we consistently saw the Howard that we saw last night, we don't need AJ (though I still think he'd be valuable to bring in for certain packages/situations). Obviously, that didn't happen at all vs. OSU and has been sporadic in other games. For the most part, Will took what was available last night and didn't force stuff. If he can do that most of the time, we're good.

I do think the alternating possessions will go at some point - either because Howard fully settles down or a legit defense stuffs it - but I imagine it's actually mentally beneficial for both because they know exactly what the dealio is and can mentally prepare - as opposed to someone getting yanked, not knowing if/when they'll go back in, etc.

As weird as it sounds, there's a degree of certainty to this concept and it's working (for now).

Yeah, in general for me it shouldn't be set, I think it should be Will, then Avery as needed to keep the defense guessing. Hell, times they both should be. Nothing should be set to alternating or predictable. I think fluidity with a plan  (that we know) helps us.

The game plan vs TCU was perfect. They complimented each other well. As long as it's about both working together to win, I'm going to trust Klein and the process

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: October 22, 2023, 09:15:44 PM »

I think it does help a lot mentally for Will to not feel like he has to do it all.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: October 22, 2023, 09:17:35 PM »

I think it does help a lot mentally for Will to not feel like he has to do it all.

You believe that Will thinks that talking every snap burdensome and splitting his job is freeing to him?