Author Topic: The air in my house feels dry and gross  (Read 20002 times)

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
Re: The air in my house feels dry and gross
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2014, 10:00:34 AM »
Seal those leaks @benja!

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2014, 10:25:38 AM »
My apartment air is super dry. What are the chances they would care enough to fix it? I'm guessing 0 percent.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2014, 01:06:39 PM »
My apartment air is super dry. What are the chances they would care enough to fix it? I'm guessing 0 percent.

yep, zero.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2014, 05:49:56 PM »
True story alert: Young dobber had a studio apartment for a few months that had the driest rough ridin' air you can imagine. I would boil water on the stove to try to increase the humidity.

Do you smart people think this was a good idea? (never mind the inefficiency, electricity was part of the rent)

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2014, 06:45:55 PM »
40% per the Nest....
@mikec2w

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2014, 07:12:47 PM »

40% per the Nest....

My windows would be so sweaty

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2014, 07:28:39 PM »
Oof. That's no good, SD.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2014, 07:30:15 PM »

Oof. That's no good, SD.

Yeah, that's why I keep it ~35

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2014, 08:13:13 PM »
mine's been about a steady, unassisted 32% over the last week I guess

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2014, 08:19:29 PM »

40% per the Nest....

We don't even have a humidifier going...just people, cooking, showers, and stuff.
@mikec2w

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2014, 08:24:11 PM »
I just use lots of lotion to stay moisturized.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »

True story alert: Young dobber had a studio apartment for a few months that had the driest rough ridin' air you can imagine. I would boil water on the stove to try to increase the humidity.

Do you smart people think this was a good idea? (never mind the inefficiency, electricity was part of the rent)
oh come on. You guys have to have an opinion on this

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2014, 09:10:01 PM »
i enjoy dry air and my apartment is p dry
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2014, 09:10:58 PM »
what's the worst part of summer?  humidity!  why you want humidity in your winter too is beyond me but alright i guess different strokes
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2014, 12:17:46 AM »
I bet we're closer on this issue than we think, seven. I mean, I love me some dry heat sometimes. Arizona in November is amazing.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2014, 12:28:57 AM »
what's the worst part of summer?  humidity!  why you want humidity in your winter too is beyond me but alright i guess different strokes

apparently these dumbasses think soaking wet air is the tops but they don't call this place dumbasscity.com for nothing.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2014, 12:40:29 AM »
 :facepalm:

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2014, 02:21:31 AM »

Gonna win 'em all!
Did it work?

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2014, 05:34:45 AM »

Gonna win 'em all!
Did it work?
I never had a humidity gauge, but the air didn't seem as dry and gross, so I thought it did.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »

40% per the Nest....

We don't even have a humidifier going...just people, cooking, showers, and stuff.

How many people do you have in your house showering, cooking, and "stuff"?

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2014, 08:02:37 AM »

Gonna win 'em all!
Did it work?
I never had a humidity gauge, but the air didn't seem as dry and gross, so I thought it did.
Sounds like it was a great idea. That was how we did it with our wood stove. Big pot sat on top simmering.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2014, 09:08:04 AM »

Gonna win 'em all!

I mean, that's pretty much exactly how steam humidifiers work so yes, slobber, that was very industrious of you. Although you could have just bought a tiny crappy humidifier for like 15 bucks.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2014, 09:54:11 AM »
my house (built in 1908) has brand new windows and doors and HVAC with whole home humidifier (kept at 35%) nothing gets sweaty or anything, but it's just always cold. Like, as soon as the furnace shuts off it feels instantly cold again. I'm assuming this is just because I have no insulation in the walls, right?

I insulated the attic over the summer when we replaced the roof, also put in roof vents and eave vents, which helped keep the upstairs cool on the hot days. I'm thinking the next step is to insulate the basement somehow, because the floors on the first floor are ice cold. any suggestos on this? batt insulation in between the joists? spray on?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2014, 10:00:07 AM »
my house (built in 1908) has brand new windows and doors and HVAC with whole home humidifier (kept at 35%) nothing gets sweaty or anything, but it's just always cold. Like, as soon as the furnace shuts off it feels instantly cold again. I'm assuming this is just because I have no insulation in the walls, right?

I insulated the attic over the summer when we replaced the roof, also put in roof vents and eave vents, which helped keep the upstairs cool on the hot days. I'm thinking the next step is to insulate the basement somehow, because the floors on the first floor are ice cold. any suggestos on this? batt insulation in between the joists? spray on?

Radiant floors bruh. Hell you could probably just shut off your central air bc the heat from the floor will keep you quite comfortable even though the thermostat might only say 65

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 20, 2014, 10:04:57 AM »

Radiant floors bruh. Hell you could probably just shut off your central air bc the heat from the floor will keep you quite comfortable even though the thermostat might only say 65

yeah, I'm not going to tear up 106 year old original hardwood floors I just had refinished to install radiant heating...unless it's possible to do this without destroying my house, not gonna happen.