Author Topic: State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools  (Read 72827 times)

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
Re: State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools
« Reply #550 on: March 01, 2016, 09:23:27 PM »
Did you guys know that Rice County, Kansas, population 10,000 and change (that's total population) has 4 school districts? I just picked a random western county off the list. Those 4 counties spend an average $15,738 per pupil. The Kansas average is $13,124.

But yeah, the problem is we're just not "adequately funding" our schools...

How are they spending that much if (I assume) the cost of living is so low out there?

Because they get the same amount of $$/pupil as higher cost areas whether they need it or not and continue to suck tax revenues from suburban areas to supplement low tax rates for rural communities.
Or to supplement things like busing or pay a higher margin for items because they are in the middle of no where.  But we need to axe those 3 of 4 of those one office secretaries because their 40k is really sucking the budget dry!

http://cjonline.com/news/2015-03-23/rural-majority-school-consolidation-complex-controversial

So if the rural school district has those issues that cost more than the basic cost of education, tax the constituents of that district instead of looking to equalization payments from areas that pay taxes based upon the value of their properties/income.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 05, 2016, 07:56:24 AM »
The only good thing anyone can point to is lower income taxes.  We are driving ppl away in droves, losing jobs, losing teachers, and my propt taxes are going up.  I dislike this.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 05, 2016, 08:37:27 AM »
Nothing to see

Obama's fault

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 05, 2016, 08:46:00 AM »
Kcmo has such a prime oppy here.  Get schools fixed and they will rob the crap out of ks.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: March 05, 2016, 08:51:47 AM »
sarpy county looks better and better with each passing day.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: April 12, 2016, 11:18:31 AM »
kansasdegreestats.org
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 18, 2016, 09:10:08 AM »
http://www.npr.org/2016/04/18/474256366/why-americas-schools-have-a-money-problem?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160418

In Kansas, which is our best guess for the state you’re currently in, the average district spends $11,452 per student, similar to the nationwide average

They have a pretty cool map showing the areas of KS and the US and how they spend comparably.  Pockets of western KS are spending their asses off. Meanwhile most of the pop center in NE KS is under avg. Some areas are significant.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 18, 2016, 10:06:06 AM »
http://www.npr.org/2016/04/18/474256366/why-americas-schools-have-a-money-problem?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160418

In Kansas, which is our best guess for the state you’re currently in, the average district spends $11,452 per student, similar to the nationwide average

They have a pretty cool map showing the areas of KS and the US and how they spend comparably.  Pockets of western KS are spending their asses off. Meanwhile most of the pop center in NE KS is under avg. Some areas are significant.

The nationwide trend for the most part seems to be that education costs more in rural areas.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #559 on: April 18, 2016, 12:32:43 PM »

Never would have pegged npr as a Brownback apologist for bankrupting the public school system. I wonder if the numbers are adjusted for cost of living?
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: April 21, 2016, 12:58:58 PM »
http://www.kmbz.com/Another-KS-school-district-is-looking-to-cut-back-/22686842
Another KS school district is looking to cut back on school days

KANSAS CITY, Kan. - There are now 41 schools in Kansas operating on a 4-day school week. The latest is the Caney school district in the southeast part of the state, where there are 16 schools operating on a 4-day week. There are 24 schools in the western half, and 1 in the northeast. It's just one way some schools are hoping to cut their expenses.

In Coffey County, LeRoy Gridley school superintendent Russ Mildward says they've had a 4-day school week since 2007. He says it works for them. "We save approximately about $75,000 a year, which has allowed us to maintain curriculum and instructional needs," Mildward tells KMBZ.

Two metro-area schools, Bonner Springs and Spring Hill, both have around 2,000 kids each in four schools. Superintendent Dan Brungardt says cutting back on the number of days in Bonner Springs is not an option.

"I think research shows the more days you spend with your instructor, the greater the learning," says Brungardt. Brungardt says altering the days would also have a tremendous impact on parents whose children would either need day care or would be home alone every Friday.

Brungardt admits money is tight, especially since the district continues to grow. "Our expenses continue to grow, and that's where our issue is. More comp, more teachers salaries, more everything. And we're trying to pull it out of the same money as two years ago."

Wichita, the state's largest school district with over 51,000 students, is tossing around the possibility of a 4-day schedule. There are no metro schools indicating they will follow suit.

Quite a few schools cutting days in class by 20%.  Way to go KS voters!

Cheap labor is on it's way.  Sam's plan of having large manufacturing biz head to KS is only about 10-12 yrs away. 

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: April 27, 2016, 02:14:19 PM »
https://news.wgbh.org/2016/04/26/innovation/how-massachusetts-became-best-state-education

Imagine this: Not that long ago, in the 1970s and ‘80s, Massachusetts’ public schools were considered mediocre by many standards. Today, the state’s school system ranks among the best in the world.

What happened?

Magic.

So said Republican Governor William Weld, in 1993, after he signed a landmark effort to overhaul how the state pays for its schools.

“Of all the gifts within our purview, a good education in a safe environment is the magic wand that brings opportunity,” Weld said. “It’s up to us to make sure that wand is waved over every cradle.”

To do that, Massachusetts poured state money into districts that educated lots of low-income kids, many of which also struggled to raise funds through local property taxes. This windfall allowed poorer districts to hire and keep good teachers, give them better training and improve curriculum in the classroom.

For 36 years, Karen English has been teaching in Revere, a town just north of Boston where nearly 80 percent of students are low-income. (Kirk Carapezza/WGBH)

“I really think that the funding was like winning the World Series,” says Karen English, a teacher of 36 years in Revere, a town just north of Boston where nearly 80 percent of students are low-income. “Everybody embraced [the extra funding], and just to have the curriculum and the books and the space made you wanna be here.”

For roughly a decade, from 1993 to 2003, Revere’s school budget increased by some $5 million a year. Former Revere superintendent Paul Dakin says those steady funding increases didn’t just support teachers but also new classes and standards.

“There wasn’t a calculus course the year I came here,” Dakin says. “So we redid the graduation requirements and, over the years, moved to the point where honors programs and calculus courses and A.P. courses were and are still plentiful.”

“We noticed the difference right away,” says Revere’s current superintendent Dianne Kelly. Back in 1993, Kelly was teaching high school algebra.

“We adopted a whole new textbook series in the math department,” Kelly recalls. “The first year I was here, the textbooks I was using with my students dated – no exaggeration – back to the ‘50s and ‘60s.”

Revere schools also used the money to hire reading coaches and a technology team. Some schools even lengthened the school day.

And with these changes, student test scores and graduation rates slowly improved. Today, the district says nearly 90 percent of its high school graduates go on to some form of post-secondary education -- up from 70 percent before Weld’s magic wand moment.

“When you look at Massachusetts’ overall performance nationally, we have gone from the middle of the pack to the top of the pack,” says Paul Reville, a former state education secretary who now teaches at Harvard’s Graduate School of Education.

Reville, though, says it’s important to remember that while education may be a magic wand, money isn’t.

“For every dollar you add, you’re not necessarily going to see an increase in improved output,” Reville insists. “It depends how you spend the money. As we look around the Commonwealth, some places have spent money wisely, and other people have wasted the opportunity.”
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 27, 2016, 02:33:35 PM »
Think about how much of that is wasted though

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 27, 2016, 03:02:34 PM »
Any school board that cuts 20% of its school days over 3% less funding shold be tarred and feathered.

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 04, 2016, 11:35:03 PM »
https://news.wgbh.org/2016/04/26/innovation/how-massachusetts-became-best-state-education

Imagine this: Not that long ago, in the 1970s and ‘80s, Massachusetts’ public schools were considered mediocre by many standards. Today, the state’s school system ranks among the best in the world.

What happened?

Magic.

So said Republican Governor William Weld, in 1993, after he signed a landmark effort to overhaul how the state pays for its schools.

“Of all the gifts within our purview, a good education in a safe environment is the magic wand that brings opportunity,” Weld said. “It’s up to us to make sure that wand is waved over every cradle.”

To do that, Massachusetts poured state money into districts that educated lots of low-income kids, many of which also struggled to raise funds through local property taxes. This windfall allowed poorer districts to hire and keep good teachers, give them better training and improve curriculum in the classroom.

For 36 years, Karen English has been teaching in Revere, a town just north of Boston where nearly 80 percent of students are low-income. (Kirk Carapezza/WGBH)

“I really think that the funding was like winning the World Series,” says Karen English, a teacher of 36 years in Revere, a town just north of Boston where nearly 80 percent of students are low-income. “Everybody embraced [the extra funding], and just to have the curriculum and the books and the space made you wanna be here.”

For roughly a decade, from 1993 to 2003, Revere’s school budget increased by some $5 million a year. Former Revere superintendent Paul Dakin says those steady funding increases didn’t just support teachers but also new classes and standards.

“There wasn’t a calculus course the year I came here,” Dakin says. “So we redid the graduation requirements and, over the years, moved to the point where honors programs and calculus courses and A.P. courses were and are still plentiful.”

“We noticed the difference right away,” says Revere’s current superintendent Dianne Kelly. Back in 1993, Kelly was teaching high school algebra.

“We adopted a whole new textbook series in the math department,” Kelly recalls. “The first year I was here, the textbooks I was using with my students dated – no exaggeration – back to the ‘50s and ‘60s.”

Revere schools also used the money to hire reading coaches and a technology team. Some schools even lengthened the school day.

And with these changes, student test scores and graduation rates slowly improved. Today, the district says nearly 90 percent of its high school graduates go on to some form of post-secondary education -- up from 70 percent before Weld’s magic wand moment.

“When you look at Massachusetts’ overall performance nationally, we have gone from the middle of the pack to the top of the pack,” says Paul Reville, a former state education secretary who now teaches at Harvard’s Graduate School of Education.

Reville, though, says it’s important to remember that while education may be a magic wand, money isn’t.

“For every dollar you add, you’re not necessarily going to see an increase in improved output,” Reville insists. “It depends how you spend the money. As we look around the Commonwealth, some places have spent money wisely, and other people have wasted the opportunity.”

How much of the increased $$ went into the classrooms and how much to administration?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 05, 2016, 12:38:27 AM »

What happened?

Magic.

How much of the increased $$ went into the classrooms and how much to administration?

Yep, it's all admin.  As you tried before, we need to axe that old bat who has been running the district phone desk for 43 years and brings in apple pie on fridays.  Her $34k a year job is really the problem in rural districts.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 05, 2016, 01:14:59 AM »

What happened?

Magic.

Yep, it's all admin.  As you tried before, we need to axe that old bat who has been running the district phone desk for 43 years and brings in apple pie on fridays.  Her $34k a year job is really the problem in rural districts.

Clearly he was talking about the rank and file admin personnel, Flying Tap Dancing Spaghetti Monster Whack-A-Doodle.   :rolleyes:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 05, 2016, 07:22:28 AM »

What happened?

Magic.

Clearly he was talking about the rank and file admin personnel, Flying Tap Dancing Spaghetti Monster Whack-A-Doodle.   :rolleyes:
oh you mean the numerous superintendents who have districts so big they can visit schools at either end of it in one day?  Yeah eff them too.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 05, 2016, 07:42:51 AM »
Minimizing the quantity of admin in KS earning very large salaries isn't helping your argument.  Blind money doesn't solve anything, and tax payers aren't going to trust a large increase of money if existing money isn't thought of as being spent efficiently.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 05, 2016, 11:44:52 AM »

What happened?

Magic.

oh you mean the numerous superintendents who have districts so big they can visit schools at either end of it in one day?  Yeah eff them too.

Yeah, them.  :rolleyes

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: May 05, 2016, 11:57:42 PM »

When the farmer with $300,000 worth of land pays the same in taxes for schools as a homeowner pays for a $300,000 house, the rural districts can have as many old bats and superintendents as they can afford.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 06, 2016, 06:08:04 AM »

When the farmer with $300,000 worth of land pays the same in taxes for schools as a homeowner pays for a $300,000 house, the rural districts can have as many old bats and superintendents as they can afford.

I don't think those are the districts he's talking about.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 07, 2016, 10:52:36 PM »
For roughly a decade, from 1993 to 2003, Revere’s school budget increased by some $5 million a year.

50 million increase in 10 years for one school  :rolleyes:

Perhaps we should follow the European model since liberals love Europe so much. Separate the kids immediately in grade 1: Dumb, Average and Smart. The dumb kids get their hands held and forced into votech jobs, the average kids get blacklisted from high end universities and the smart kids take all the standardized tests.

It wouldn't cost much and the schools would look great on paper. Just like Europe.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 08, 2016, 06:58:26 AM »
For roughly a decade, from 1993 to 2003, Revere’s school budget increased by some $5 million a year.

50 million increase in 10 years for one school  :rolleyes:

Perhaps we should follow the European model since liberals love Europe so much. Separate the kids immediately in grade 1: Dumb, Average and Smart. The dumb kids get their hands held and forced into votech jobs, the average kids get blacklisted from high end universities and the smart kids take all the standardized tests.

It wouldn't cost much and the schools would look great on paper. Just like Europe.

you would be in the low-medium classes, fyi
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 08, 2016, 09:19:58 AM »
Anyone arguing that the public school system isn't a bloated bureaucracy is crazy. It costs more money per kid to go to kindergarten than kstate or ku, by a factor of almost 2x.

The left has turned the public school system into their personal treasure trove.  It's unconscionable, and they should be punished for what they've done.