Author Topic: George Zimmerman is a piece of crap  (Read 198306 times)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Trayvon Martin
« Reply #1425 on: July 10, 2013, 09:20:09 PM »
\when the state made the case to disallow a dude's testimony because he heard someone else's and then got mushed by the judge.  That was great tv

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: July 10, 2013, 11:54:11 PM »
Yea, it'd really be amazing for a man to be convicted based on assumptions and not the actual evidence. Just amazing

Weird that this case and George Zimmerman is your draw a line in the sand moment when it comes to the legal system.  This happens literally every day in courtrooms all over America.  "Beyond reasonable doubt" is not some kind of measurable black and white standard. Circumstance can't be just thrown away as a matter of convenience when it doesn't fit your viewpoint. You seem smart enough to understand this which is why I can't tell if you're being a contrarian or riding hard for Team GZ.

Generally contrarians have sounder arguments. Essentially what you've spent this entire thread doing is saying since the jury wasn't there Zimmerman can't be found guilty of murder. I'm standing over your bloody body with the knife that matches the wounds but I said someone else did it and I just happened to be walking by when I was handed the knife. No one else saw the murder go down and I have no reason to lie so there's reasonable doubt so I should walk.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: July 11, 2013, 09:14:03 AM »
Yea, it'd really be amazing for a man to be convicted based on assumptions and not the actual evidence. Just amazing

Weird that this case and George Zimmerman is your draw a line in the sand moment when it comes to the legal system.  This happens literally every day in courtrooms all over America.  "Beyond reasonable doubt" is not some kind of measurable black and white standard. Circumstance can't be just thrown away as a matter of convenience when it doesn't fit your viewpoint. You seem smart enough to understand this which is why I can't tell if you're being a contrarian or riding hard for Team GZ.

Generally contrarians have sounder arguments. Essentially what you've spent this entire thread doing is saying since the jury wasn't there Zimmerman can't be found guilty of murder. I'm standing over your bloody body with the knife that matches the wounds but I said someone else did it and I just happened to be walking by when I was handed the knife. No one else saw the murder go down and I have no reason to lie so there's reasonable doubt so I should walk.

I don't know if anyone is saying that and, regardless, that's not the point. The question is whether the state can prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that GZ did not have a reasonable fear that he would suffer serious bodily harm unless he shot TM.

You're obsessed with what may have happened leading up to the fight - whether he profiled, whether he pursued - but that is of very little, if any, relevance to this case. These things would not justify being attacked, so they do not impact GZ's claim of self defense. What is of much greater relevance is who started the physical fight, and did GZ have a reasonable fear at that time? On those points, we have pretty much zero evidence to support the state's case, and a lot of evidence that corroborates GZ.

No independent eye witnesses saw how the fight began. GZ says TM attacked him. Dee Dee says the last she heard was GZ asking "what are you doing here?" and it seems unlikely he would ask this question only to immediately jump TM, especially after GZ had already called police and they were on their way. And, of course, we know (the jury doesn't) that TM fancied himself some sort of street fighter, boasting about it in his text messages, and had been involved in a number of fights in the months immediately prior to the shooting.

After the fight began, the eye witness testimony, expert testimony, and GZ's injuries are generally consistent with GZ's account that TM was on top, pinning GZ to the ground, hitting his head on the sidewalk. For example, the closest eye witness is certain that TM was on top, hitting GZ "MMA style." The only other purported "eye" witness testified that she thought it was GZ on top, but she was ultimately demolished on x-exam, admitting that all she saw were shadowy figures and that she assumed GZ must have been on top after seeing their pictures on TV in the initial news reporting (which showed TM as a younger boy). The defense expert confirms that TM's shirt was hanging away from his body when he was shot, which would not have happened if he was on his back, and is consistent with him being on top of GZ, leaning over him. I don't think the state presented any evidence to contradict this.

Thus, no impartial jury should find beyond a reasonable doubt that GZ did not act in self defense, but we will see.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: July 11, 2013, 11:42:41 AM »
Suffering serious bodily harm is not a defense for murder, sir. What is the standard for "serious bodily harm," is it a bloody nose, broken arm, concussion,  really bad paper cut, kick to the dick? For me it would depend on who is inflicting the harm on me. If it was a white neo-con who bloodied my nose I'd blast away if I knew I could walk.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: July 11, 2013, 12:31:17 PM »
Self-defense is an affirmative defense, meaning it is incumbent upon the defense to prove it's claim - not the prosecution.  This will be crucial in order for GZ to avoid jail, as the lessers he could be convicted of still carry a significant amount of jailtime.  I don't believe anyone at this point thinks he will be convicted of the 2nd degree murder charge. 

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: July 11, 2013, 01:01:48 PM »
Self-defense is an affirmative defense, meaning it is incumbent upon the defense to prove it's claim - not the prosecution.

Wrong. So completely wrong.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 01:09:13 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: July 11, 2013, 01:08:37 PM »
Suffering serious bodily harm is not a defense for murder, sir.

Right, but it's not murder or even manslaughter if GZ acted in self defense.

What is the standard for "serious bodily harm," is it a bloody nose, broken arm, concussion,  really bad paper cut, kick to the dick? For me it would depend on who is inflicting the harm on me. If it was a white neo-con who bloodied my nose I'd blast away if I knew I could walk.

It's been posted about a million times, but let's try again: You do not have to suffer death (obviously) or serious bodily harm before you can act in self defense. You need only have a reasonable fear that you will (future) suffer such harm if you don't act in self defense. You don't have to suffer any injuries at all (but they certainly help), the fear just has to be reasonable.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: July 11, 2013, 01:14:47 PM »
Zimm is obviously a huge pussy who more than likely was very scared for his life at the time

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: July 11, 2013, 01:19:04 PM »
Self-defense is an affirmative defense, meaning it is incumbent upon the defense to prove it's claim - not the prosecution.

O rly?  Tell me why, barrister.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: July 11, 2013, 01:21:03 PM »
It's kind of messed up that the legal system doesn't require the jury to know "beyond reasonable doubt" that TM attacked GZ. The defense just has to show that it could have happened.

I mean, I get it, but it's messed up.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: July 11, 2013, 01:23:17 PM »
Not too high, too hard..
Who gives a crap its outta here

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: July 11, 2013, 01:35:52 PM »

Well, just for example, from Falwell v. Florida: "The State has the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant did not act in self-defense. The burden of proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, including the burden of proving that the defendant did not act in self-defense, never shifts from the State to the defendant." That'll be $325.00.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: July 11, 2013, 01:46:15 PM »
They will dust GZ's ass in a civil suit where they can hire a top notch attorney and not depend on the state (no offense to state prosecutors).

What should they have done differently?

Let me review the entire transcript when I have free time and get back to you.

Only if you have time. Otherwise, let's just assume the prosecutors are idiots.

It's the default presumption in the great state of Florida.  See State v. Anthony, Casey

I take it back, Limestone. You were right - these prosecutors are effing morons. Closing argument riddled with "may" and "could" all of which = doubt. Pick a theory and stick to it. If you don't know what happened, then why the hell did you bring the case?

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: July 11, 2013, 02:02:49 PM »
I heard we might be looking at a mistrial. Any truth to this?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: July 11, 2013, 02:05:30 PM »

Well, just for example, from Falwell v. Florida: "The State has the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant did not act in self-defense. The burden of proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, including the burden of proving that the defendant did not act in self-defense, never shifts from the State to the defendant." That'll be $325.00.

Wow, you appear to be right.  Even the state's prosecutors in the cited case assumed the burden was on the defense.  This makes Florida fairly unusual in that regard, no?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: July 11, 2013, 02:20:14 PM »

Wow, you appear to be right.  Even the state's prosecutors in the cited case assumed the burden was on the defense.  This makes Florida fairly unusual in that regard, no?

Nope - that aspect of the law is fairly standard. This is the law in Kansas, too. And BTW, did you notice how that poor defendant got totally effd in the case I cited? His lawyer totally booted it on the jury instruction, but the court still didn't find reversible error. JFC.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: July 11, 2013, 02:32:04 PM »
I thought the state's closing was confusing and not good

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: July 11, 2013, 02:32:55 PM »
Oops still going.   This guy sucks

Offline husserl

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: July 11, 2013, 02:48:14 PM »

The parenthetical directly preceding those sentences seems strange to me:

(holding that law does not require defendant to prove self-defense to any standard measuring assurance of truth, exigency, near certainty, or even mere probability; defendant’s only burden is to offer facts from which his resort to force could have been reasonable)

Is that the standard burden or is FL just nuts?  Seems crazy low.  Shocked my lawyer buddy.  (mizzou grad.) 

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Trayvon Martin
« Reply #1444 on: July 11, 2013, 03:00:06 PM »
It's kind of messed up that the legal system doesn't require the jury to know "beyond reasonable doubt" that TM attacked GZ. The defense just has to show that it could have happened.

Agreed. I understand and support the trade off we made, but I don't always enjoy seeing the results. Dude killed a kid. Whether its stand your ground, concealed carry, whatever, there's a glitch in the system. For me, it's mostly about a kid getting killed and less about GZ walking, though.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: July 11, 2013, 03:01:59 PM »

Agreed. I understand and support the trade off we made, but I don't always enjoy seeing the results. Dude killed a kid. Whether its stand your ground, concealed carry, whatever, there's a glitch in the system. For me, it's mostly about a kid getting killed and less about GZ walking, though.

yeah

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: July 11, 2013, 03:05:04 PM »

The parenthetical directly preceding those sentences seems strange to me:

(holding that law does not require defendant to prove self-defense to any standard measuring assurance of truth, exigency, near certainty, or even mere probability; defendant’s only burden is to offer facts from which his resort to force could have been reasonable)

Is that the standard burden or is FL just nuts?  Seems crazy low.  Shocked my lawyer buddy.  (mizzou grad.)

Nope, that too is pretty standard. For example, it is also the law in Kansas: "we do not require a defendant to establish his or her defense by a preponderance of evidence. Once evidence of self-defense or evidence that the defendant acted with lesser culpability has been raised, the trial court is bound to instruct the jury on self-defense and any lesser included offense raised by the evidence. It is then up to the jury to resolve the question of guilt upon the charged crime." I'm pretty sure it is also the law in Missouri.

In other words, the defendant just has to present some evidence that he acted in self defense (this is called making a prima facie case, the lowest possible standard, even below the preponderance threshhold). If so, the court gives the jury instruction on self defense, and the state must disprove self defense beyond a reasonable doubt.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: July 11, 2013, 03:42:49 PM »
The state's closing was horrible.  It's called closing argument, not closing hey let's stare some powerpoints.

Maybe they'll let one of those younger guys turn up in the rebuttal.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: July 11, 2013, 03:55:56 PM »
The state's closing was horrible.  It's called closing argument, not closing hey let's stare some powerpoints.

Maybe they'll let one of those younger guys turn up in the rebuttal.

Rope-a-dope

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: July 11, 2013, 04:01:24 PM »
I'm worried these jurors might be dumbasses and come back w/ a guilty verdict