Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 323250 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #750 on: October 15, 2013, 12:14:22 AM »
Seriously though, 180k/year for an individual is a lot of money unless you're a rough ridin' idiot. (this is not a commentary on how much someone who earns that much should pay in taxes)

True, it's like what...  6 times the National average?

You only get to keep about half of that.

lol if you make that and somehow only keep half you seriously need to fire your accountant.

Well, duh.  But its funny coming from a lib. Pay your fair share and all that stuff.

I'm honestly not sure how it's possible to have an effective tax rate that high with that income even if you don't take advantage of any deductions.

a popular neocon talking point is that the middle class are taxed at a 50-70 percent rate.  it doesn't matter to them that this isn't true, they just repeat it over and over again.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 15, 2013, 12:17:32 AM »
Yeah, i wasn't really talking about 180k, that would probably come out around 30-35%
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: October 15, 2013, 12:54:35 AM »
Seriously though, 180k/year for an individual is a lot of money unless you're a rough ridin' idiot. (this is not a commentary on how much someone who earns that much should pay in taxes)

lol if you make that and somehow only keep half you seriously need to fire your accountant.

Well, duh.  But its funny coming from a lib. Pay your fair share and all that stuff.

I'm honestly not sure how it's possible to have an effective tax rate that high with that income even if you don't take advantage of any deductions.

Now that the Scotus has deemed obamacare as a tax, we need to include healthcare premiums in tax rates.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: October 15, 2013, 02:18:02 AM »
this thread never fails to disappoint.  and still no one has watched the video i linked.   :frown:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: October 15, 2013, 11:09:19 AM »

Now that the Scotus has deemed obamacare as a tax, we need to include healthcare premiums in tax rates.

Ha, I still don't know how you could possibly get to 50%.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: October 15, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
this thread never fails to disappoint.  and still no one has watched the video i linked.   :frown:

I'm going to watch it. But, you know. Thirty minutes.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: October 15, 2013, 11:15:23 AM »

I watched it, sys. I thought it might have been overly simplified, but then again, the economy really is much simpler than most of us try to make it. It was a fun watch.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: October 15, 2013, 11:17:30 AM »

Ha, I still don't know how you could possibly get to 50%.

It wouldn't be that high. It might be approaching 50% if you took no deductions, figured in FICA, added property tax, as well as state taxes and sales tax, though. Of course, the same can be said for the poor people who "pay nothing".
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:22:14 AM by Nuts Kicked »

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: October 15, 2013, 12:28:23 PM »

It is more than possible. I'm not just talking about income tax, I said all taxes in one form or another. Totaling all state and federal income tax, FICA, property tax, and estimated sales tax, my effective tax rate (all taxes paid divided by all income) was about 37% last year. This does not include the additional "hidden" indirect taxes, like the ones that the evil corporations pass along to us in the form of higher prices, the new taxes that will likely be levied upon my current health benefits, etc.

Anyway this was a fun diversion, but back on topic, Obamacare is a complete disaster, amiright? Now the (evil) Aetna CEO is chiming in.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 12:37:44 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #759 on: October 15, 2013, 12:32:07 PM »
I don't know if one of you is talking about effective federal income tax rate and the other about holistic tax liability and your both too stupid to realize what the other is saying or what.

Its not hard to contemplate only taking home 50% of what you make if all your earnings are wages or SE income.
State Income Tax of 5-12%
FICA of 7.65% (double if SE)
Sales Tax of 7-8% of everything you buy (assume you spend 20% of take home that ~1.5% of earnings)
Property Tax (if you own a house and car worth 400k total that's another 8k in taxes so assume 2-3% earnings)
City Income tax (I think KCMO is 1%)

Right there you're at 17%+ and you haven't even included actual federal income tax or myriad other hidden taxes that you pay for (tolls, excise tax, govt fees, charges embedded in your utility bills, aforementioned insurance) .  If you live in a state with high income and property tax 50% tax obligation is not far fetched at all.

goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: October 15, 2013, 12:45:45 PM »
I don't know if one of you is talking about effective federal income tax rate and the other about holistic tax liability and your both too stupid to realize what the other is saying or what.

Its not hard to contemplate only taking home 50% of what you make if all your earnings are wages or SE income.
Sales Tax of 7-8% of everything you buy (assume you spend 20% of take home that ~1.5% of earnings)
Property Tax (if you own a house and car worth 400k total that's another 8k in taxes so assume 2-3% earnings)

Right there you're at 17%+ and you haven't even included actual federal income tax or myriad other hidden taxes that you pay for (tolls, excise tax, govt fees, charges embedded in your utility bills, aforementioned insurance) .  If you live in a state with high income and property tax 50% tax obligation is not far fetched at all.

Exactly. At 180k your effective federal tax rate is 22% assuming zero deductions, and 39% is still A LONG WAY from 50%. You would really have to try your damnedest to find another $20k of taxes to get to this made up 50% tax rate.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: October 15, 2013, 12:46:22 PM »
basically, I think you can make your point without making crap up.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #762 on: October 15, 2013, 01:47:21 PM »

Exactly. At 180k your effective federal tax rate is 22% assuming zero deductions, and 39% is still A LONG WAY from 50%. You would really have to try your damnedest to find another $20k of taxes to get to this made up 50% tax rate.

Well it would be 39%+, based on what I typed above.  If you lived in Cali it would be 48%+ (~9% effective rate).  At 180k youll need a eff load of deductions to drop a marginal rate and substantially alter your effective rate.  Also, AMT. So, you're wrong, per usual.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 01:56:47 PM by Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) »
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 15, 2013, 04:43:48 PM »
I watched it, sys. I thought it might have been overly simplified, but then again, the economy really is much simpler than most of us try to make it. It was a fun watch.

thanks, that makes me really happy.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: October 15, 2013, 05:15:04 PM »

thanks, that makes me really happy.

I watched it, too. It's crazy how you never hear anyone talk about long-term debt cycles that way.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: October 15, 2013, 08:09:01 PM »
Another of the Kos Kidz gets smacked in the face with reality... http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/09/30/1242660/-Obamacare-will-double-my-monthly-premium#  :lol:

My wife and I just got our updates from Kaiser telling us what our 2014 rates will be. Her monthly has been $168 this year, mine $150. We have a high deductible. We are generally healthy people who don't go to the doctor often. I barely ever go. The insurance is in case of a major catastrophe.

Well, now, because of Obamacare, my wife's rate is gong to $302 per month and mine is jumping to $284.

I am canceling insurance for us and I am not paying any rough ridin' penalty. What the hell kind of reform is this?

Some of the comments are priceless. A lot of "well, the insurance you had before was probably sub-standard" and "we've all got to do our share."
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:13:00 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: October 15, 2013, 08:22:30 PM »
 Young people and middle class folks are gonna be so pissed, it's probably why the sites are down until the shutdown threat on aca is gone.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: October 16, 2013, 12:31:48 AM »
Another of the Kos Kidz gets smacked in the face with reality... http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/09/30/1242660/-Obamacare-will-double-my-monthly-premium#  :lol:

My wife and I just got our updates from Kaiser telling us what our 2014 rates will be. Her monthly has been $168 this year, mine $150. We have a high deductible. We are generally healthy people who don't go to the doctor often. I barely ever go. The insurance is in case of a major catastrophe.

Well, now, because of Obamacare, my wife's rate is gong to $302 per month and mine is jumping to $284.

I am canceling insurance for us and I am not paying any rough ridin' penalty. What the hell kind of reform is this?

Some of the comments are priceless. A lot of "well, the insurance you had before was probably sub-standard" and "we've all got to do our share."

He won't have a choice whether or not  to pay the penalty, it will be withheld from his tax refund.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: October 16, 2013, 08:08:19 AM »

He won't have a choice whether or not  to pay the penalty, it will be withheld from his tax refund.

He could always just file a false tax report and hope he doesn't get audited.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: October 16, 2013, 09:13:05 AM »
I think all anyone really needs to understand is that the Federal Gov't will collect more tax revenue than ever, and yet will fall short of paying it's bills this FY by around $800 to $900 billion dollars.

So we will be about $300 to $400 billion better than last year?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: October 16, 2013, 09:24:08 AM »
I think all anyone really needs to understand is that the Federal Gov't will collect more tax revenue than ever, and yet will fall short of paying it's bills this FY by around $800 to $900 billion dollars.

Isn't this talking point at least in some part due to having a larger working force than ever before as a result of an ever growing population? Not saying that the $.8T deficit is good by any means, but I think the 'most revenue' talking point is somewhere between misleading and dishonest.
:adios:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: October 16, 2013, 09:29:44 AM »
Revenue and spending should both increase annually. Revenue increases need to outpace spending increases until the deficit becomes more manageable.

I don't really think anybody in Washington cares about the deficit, though. If the republicans cared, they wouldn't have shut down the government over the last 2 weeks for no apparent reason.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: October 16, 2013, 10:52:26 AM »
How is the discussion of having record revenue, and yet still having near record deficits, being dishonest??

I don't consider having a $300 to $400 billion dollar lower deficit than the previous year a paticularly positive talking point,

Seems like at least 300 to 400 billion off the record and making progress in the right direction
:adios:

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: October 16, 2013, 10:55:07 AM »
If interest rates on your credit card were close to 0%, would you try to pay it off all at once, or would you just make minimum payments until the day you died?  In the case of the United States, we're not going to die any time soon.

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: October 16, 2013, 11:18:37 AM »

The impact of Obamacare on the economy is unknown and so far not trending towards the positive given the number of layoffs, cutbacks etc. etc. that are already being announced almost soully because of Obamacare.

Employers don't even have a mandate this year, so not sure why this is happening. Do you have sources?