Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 321269 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #2650 on: October 06, 2016, 01:21:25 PM »
Why does it matter if it's SOP? Wouldn't that make it worse?

It really is indefensible to charge for crap like that. If charges like that are ok, they could literally assign a separate nurse to perform or observe every single task and just run the meter. "Do you need a drink of water? Let me get the water drink getting and administering nurse. Someone is actually shadowing her today, but we will only charge you for half his time."

It's not like you don't have a choice.

It kind of is. Have you ever been hospitalized? Doctors and nurses just show up, whether you ask them to or not. It's sort of like homeless people cleaning your windshield when you're at a red light and expecting to get paid.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: October 06, 2016, 01:21:37 PM »
I think there are some people that were justifiably angry in 2010 before they even could have considered that Donald Trump would be running for office in 2016.

what was justified about their anger?  My health insurance is getting worse, but that is because Kansas State has had to make across the board cuts for the past 3 years because of Brownback's tax plan.

I think it's justifiable to be angry about being promised transparency and then this massive bill being written behind closed doors and voted on by people who didn't even understand what all was in it.

This is a very dumb criticism.  Pretty much every major law is enormous in verbage to help clarify and prevent it from being too vague in implementation, to make sure it is compliant with other laws and that it is Constitutional.  The bill was widely debated in public for an extended period of time.  The people that voted on it could obviously not recite it by memory, but they understood the core parts of what the bill would achieve, some better than others.  Obviously, not many people predicted the website rollout being a disaster or so many states refusing to accept the medicaid expansion and fighting to not set up the exchanges, or the many constitutional challenges, but there was plenty of transparency.

There are lots of better examples of bills being passed in the dead of night, or secret funding or classification preventing transparency in government.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: October 06, 2016, 01:23:17 PM »
Why does it matter if it's SOP? Wouldn't that make it worse?

It really is indefensible to charge for crap like that. If charges like that are ok, they could literally assign a separate nurse to perform or observe every single task and just run the meter. "Do you need a drink of water? Let me get the water drink getting and administering nurse. Someone is actually shadowing her today, but we will only charge you for half his time."

It's not like you don't have a choice.

It kind of is. Have you ever been hospitalized? Doctors and nurses just show up, whether you ask them to or not. It's sort of like homeless people cleaning your windshield when you're at a red light and expecting to get paid.

Great analogy  :jerk:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: October 06, 2016, 01:27:32 PM »
I think a better analogy would be opening the door for a client and then adding that their bill.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: October 06, 2016, 01:29:23 PM »
Great analogies all around!

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2655 on: October 06, 2016, 01:29:56 PM »
I'll come up with some more.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: October 06, 2016, 01:32:21 PM »
Fixing someone's car and then charging a $40 delivery fee to bring it up to the front of the shop.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: October 06, 2016, 01:34:11 PM »
Getting my car fixed and they charged me for the time they needed a second mechanic  :curse:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: October 06, 2016, 01:34:49 PM »

Do you think this couple asked to see a lactation consultant? I'm sort of doubting they asked to have somebody come in and tell them that the baby's mouth goes on the nipple, but maybe they asked for it. Who knows?

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: October 06, 2016, 01:36:21 PM »
Waiting at a reception desk and the receptionist asks you if you want some coffee and you say sure so they send someone to go to Starbucks and charge you $40 for the coffee and delivery.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: October 06, 2016, 01:38:08 PM »
You just keep getting worse, maybe try on the edn account

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: October 06, 2016, 01:39:02 PM »
Getting your bill at the doctor's office and they ask you if you want a copy and you say yes please, so the doctor comes out and hand copies the bill including  free drawing the letterhead and then bills you for that time.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: October 06, 2016, 01:39:32 PM »
Guys, it's a child birth, you have plenty of notice.  Just shop the hospitals, ask for a detailed/itemized quote, and read everything they will ask you to sign.  If you have concerns contact your health insurance and see what's covered and what isn't.  If they bill you for something you didn't agree to tell them to get mumped.  And if they over bill you $40, maybe consider your time investment in fighting for $40 versus spending time with your new baby.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: October 06, 2016, 01:41:32 PM »
I'd like a cheeseburger, and can I add bacon to that please?

Oh wtf, these buttholes charged me for the bacon  :curse:

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: October 06, 2016, 01:50:23 PM »
My analogies are better.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: October 06, 2016, 01:53:44 PM »

Do you think this couple asked to see a lactation consultant? I'm sort of doubting they asked to have somebody come in and tell them that the baby's mouth goes on the nipple, but maybe they asked for it. Who knows?

I've heard some mom's have trouble breastfeeding especially at first, so not surprised if they asked for some help and actually scheduled that.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: October 06, 2016, 03:02:07 PM »
It's 2% of a bill they may only get once or twice in their lives.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: October 06, 2016, 03:03:04 PM »
i can't believe you're defending the lack of transparency in medical pricing, liblib.  emo i get, because he argues all sorts of weird crap.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: October 06, 2016, 03:18:53 PM »
I would say that line item is full transparency, personally

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: October 06, 2016, 03:31:29 PM »
I would say that line item is full transparency, personally

I wouldn't pay $212.04 for 38 Level 3's.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2670 on: October 06, 2016, 03:36:56 PM »
i can't believe you're defending the lack of transparency in medical pricing, liblib.  emo i get, because he argues all sorts of weird crap.

It's not lack of transparency.  All you have to do is like not be Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) and ask for pricing.

It's no different than a Toyota dealership.  "Hi Mr. Sys, the during the inspection the tech noticed your cabin air filter is dirty, would you like us to replace that?"

Now, here's where some of you are Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) and the rest of you aren't.

Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!):  "Sure."
Non-Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!):  "How much is it?  ("It's $20.")  Oh okay, yes please do that."

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: October 06, 2016, 03:40:05 PM »

It's not lack of transparency.  All you have to do is like not be Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) and ask for pricing.

It's no different than a Toyota dealership.  "Hi Mr. Sys, the during the inspection the tech noticed your cabin air filter is dirty, would you like us to replace that?"

Now, here's where some of you are Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) and the rest of you aren't.

Non-Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!):  "How much is it?  ("It's $20.")  Oh okay, yes please do that."

It's not like that at all, Emo, because the baby is your baby. You shouldn't expect a charge to hold it. It's not like the baby is the hospital's property until you leave.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: October 06, 2016, 03:57:52 PM »

It's not like that at all, Emo, because the baby is your baby. You shouldn't expect a charge to hold it. It's not like the baby is the hospital's property until you leave.

The charge is for the additional nurse, not the actual holding of the baby.  We have been over this.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: October 06, 2016, 03:58:29 PM »
Guys, it's a child birth, you have plenty of notice.  Just shop the hospitals, ask for a detailed/itemized quote, and read everything they will ask you to sign.  If you have concerns contact your health insurance and see what's covered and what isn't.  If they bill you for something you didn't agree to tell them to get mumped.  And if they over bill you $40, maybe consider your time investment in fighting for $40 versus spending time with your new baby.

Who has time for that crap?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: October 06, 2016, 04:02:01 PM »

Who has time for that crap?

It's like an extra 5 seconds.  You're already touring the hospital.  Just literally just ask "Hey can I get an itemized quote?"  "Yes, sure, be right back."  So painstakingly simple.