Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 323229 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #2350 on: December 10, 2015, 04:11:39 PM »
And the last "profitable" Obamacare co-op is now losing millions.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_INSURANCE_CO_OP_TROUBLE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-12-10-16-00-23

The lone health insurance cooperative to make money last year on the Affordable Care Act's public insurance exchanges is now losing millions and cutting off individual enrollment for 2016.

Maine's Community Health Options lost more than $17 million in the first nine months of this year, after making $10.9 million in the same period last year. A spokesman said higher-than-expected medical costs have hurt the cooperative.

The announcement casts further doubt on the future of insurance cooperatives, small nonprofit insurers that were created during the ACA's creation to inject competition in insurance markets. These co-ops immediately struggled to build their businesses. A dozen of the 23 created have already folded.

An Associated Press review of financial statements from 10 of the 11 surviving co-ops shows that they lost, on average, more than $21 million in the first nine months of the year. Those losses range from $3.9 million reported by Maryland's Evergreen Health Cooperative to $50.7 million booked by Land of Lincoln Mutual Health Insurance Company in Illinois.

"Clearly the remaining health care co-ops are in dire circumstances," said Robert Laszewski, a health care consultant and former insurance executive who has been a frequent critic of the Affordable Care Act. "I don't know how any of them can survive another year."
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: December 10, 2015, 05:12:53 PM »
"It is probably impossible for a startup in the health insurance space to make any significant money in the first couple years," said Standard & Poor's analyst Deep Banerjee.

:dunno:

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #2352 on: December 10, 2015, 05:36:58 PM »
Chum thinks "out of business" is some kind of going concern on the obamacare exchanges.

It's pretty rough ridin' funny how rapidly this idiotic plan failed.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: December 10, 2015, 05:44:08 PM »
Chum thinks "out of business" is some kind of going concern on the obamacare exchanges.

This sentence does not make sense.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: December 10, 2015, 09:20:36 PM »

This sentence does not make sense.

Yes it does.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: December 10, 2015, 11:39:34 PM »

The lone health insurance cooperative to make money last year on the Affordable Care Act's public insurance exchanges is now losing millions and cutting off individual enrollment for 2016.

Maine's Community Health Options lost more than $17 million in the first nine months of this year, after making $10.9 million in the same period last year. A spokesman said higher-than-expected medical costs have hurt the cooperative.

The announcement casts further doubt on the future of insurance cooperatives, small nonprofit insurers that were created during the ACA's creation to inject competition in insurance markets. These co-ops immediately struggled to build their businesses. A dozen of the 23 created have already folded.

An Associated Press review of financial statements from 10 of the 11 surviving co-ops shows that they lost, on average, more than $21 million in the first nine months of the year. Those losses range from $3.9 million reported by Maryland's Evergreen Health Cooperative to $50.7 million booked by Land of Lincoln Mutual Health Insurance Company in Illinois.

"Clearly the remaining health care co-ops are in dire circumstances," said Robert Laszewski, a health care consultant and former insurance executive who has been a frequent critic of the Affordable Care Act. "I don't know how any of them can survive another year."

You mean a plan with no price controls was ineffective in mitigating cost? eff, who knew that health care conglomos, pharma companies, and insurance companies wouldn't voluntarily make their exorbitant profits a lower priority to help the American public? SHOCKED, STUNNED

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: December 11, 2015, 08:17:49 AM »
Rudimentary business principles :curse:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: December 11, 2015, 08:25:44 AM »
The flailing is pretty funny.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: December 11, 2015, 08:41:46 AM »
I'm not sure it was reasonable to assume that all new exchange insurers would succeed or that they'd be profitable in the first couple of years. It's like any other business. Some fail, some succeed, right?

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: December 11, 2015, 08:47:41 AM »
I'm not sure it was reasonable to assume that all new exchange insurers would succeed or that they'd be profitable in the first couple of years. It's like any other business. Some fail, some succeed, right?

The is a cute attempt to conflate free market concepts (which are obviously undermined by aca) with the policy of the aca (to create options and control price). So, lol

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: December 14, 2015, 02:11:20 PM »
A recent National Bureau of Economic Research study estimated the value of Medicaid to its recipients at between 20¢ and 40¢ per dollar of expenditure, with the majority of the value going to health-care providers like doctors and hospitals. By comparison, the Earned Income Tax Credit—a cash transfer program designed to enhance the incomes of the working poor—delivers around 90¢ of value to its recipients per dollar of expenditure. Given that more than half of Obamacare’s reduction in the numbers of the uninsured has been from its expansion of Medicaid, this makes the law look more like welfare for the medical-industrial complex than support for the needy.

Some of the law’s opponents need to acknowledge that for many Americans, modern health care is unaffordable without significant public assistance. Simply criticizing Medicaid is not enough. We need to envision alternatives to conventional insurance that deliver a basic basket of health services at a cost we can afford.

Both sides also need to recognize that the changes in incentives necessary to bend the cost curve will be highly unwelcome to many Americans. Markets for health care are the perfect example of the old saying that “every dollar of waste is someone’s income.”

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-health-of-obamacare-1449848377
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: February 15, 2016, 08:39:50 AM »
Something that now exists: Health insurance plans that provide only coverage for services that is mandatory. But the only services it is mandatory for plans to cover are preventive in nature. So, with one of these plans, you'd be covered for things like annual cholesterol screenings, but not for things like a broken leg or cancer.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: February 15, 2016, 05:28:19 PM »
Something that now exists: Health insurance plans that provide only coverage for services that is mandatory. But the only services it is mandatory for plans to cover are preventive in nature. So, with one of these plans, you'd be covered for things like annual cholesterol screenings, but not for things like a broken leg or cancer.

That's like having a home warranty instead of property and casualty coverage. :sdeek:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: February 15, 2016, 06:57:35 PM »
 :party:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: April 19, 2016, 01:44:44 PM »
United Healthcare, the nation's largest private health insurance company, is quitting the Obamacare exchanges in most states after losing more than $1 billion. http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_UNITEDHEALTH_ACA_EXCHANGES?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-04-19-09-14-34

I presume those losses are on top of the massive "risk corridor" payments it received from tax payers.

Evidently, United Healthcare discovered, along with many other insurers, that Obamacare insurance is basically just expanded Medicaid. Big surprise.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: April 19, 2016, 01:46:03 PM »
my bro in law works for them!

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: April 19, 2016, 01:58:43 PM »
Some insurers argue that Americans are waiting until they get sick to sign up and then finding a way to qualify during the so-called special enrollment period, which is traditionally open to those who change jobs, get married or divorced or have a baby. The Obama administration has since said it would tighten the rules for joining Obamacare during this period.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: April 19, 2016, 02:15:24 PM »
Wow. Looks like they lost half of that billion in just the past four months, according to that same outstanding CEO to whom we should probably pay attention.

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=22838.msg1481675#msg1481675

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: April 19, 2016, 02:23:08 PM »
You want to know how the Titanic sunk? Some humpback whale breached right beside it and splashed some water on the deck.

A billion dollars on exchange plans? GMAFB.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: April 19, 2016, 02:24:59 PM »
Some insurers argue that Americans are waiting until they get sick to sign up and then finding a way to qualify during the so-called special enrollment period, which is traditionally open to those who change jobs, get married or divorced or have a baby. The Obama administration has since said it would tighten the rules for joining Obamacare during this period.

Um. Even if they "tighten up" that rule, they'll still be able to enroll the following year. That's the whole guaranteed issue thing. I am totally shocked that requiring insurers to cover a crap ton more people with preexisting conditions has raised costs and premiums. Did not see that coming.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: April 19, 2016, 02:26:48 PM »
Someday we'll completely shut down this immoral industry
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: April 19, 2016, 04:00:02 PM »

Um. Even if they "tighten up" that rule, they'll still be able to enroll the following year. That's the whole guaranteed issue thing. I am totally shocked that requiring insurers to cover a crap ton more people with preexisting conditions has raised costs and premiums. Did not see that coming.

The preexisting thing isn't the issue.  Actually accepting people with conditions isn't inherently the issue.  The problem is that eff face blows out his knee, quits his job (that probably didn't offer insurance to begin with) and claims the special window to get ACA exchange insurance.  Now instead of having a year's worth of premiums, or at least knowing this clown was a potential customer, an insurance company has to pay out $35K in the first week of having them as a client.  Now imagine if they person is hit with a cancer diagnosis or something like a transplant. 
So for now we've shifted that cost onto insurance companies, instead of the state/fed medicaid system (or socialized through bankruptcy) and they don't like it. 

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: April 19, 2016, 04:14:01 PM »

The preexisting thing isn't the issue.  Actually accepting people with conditions isn't inherently the issue.  The problem is that eff face blows out his knee, quits his job (that probably didn't offer insurance to begin with) and claims the special window to get ACA exchange insurance.  Now instead of having a year's worth of premiums, or at least knowing this clown was a potential customer, an insurance company has to pay out $35K in the first week of having them as a client.  Now imagine if they person is hit with a cancer diagnosis or something like a transplant. 
So for now we've shifted that cost onto insurance companies, instead of the state/fed medicaid system (or socialized through bankruptcy) and they don't like it.

What you just described constitutes "preexisting conditions." It means expecting insurance to pay for an injury or illness you sustained before you got the insurance. And it doesn't work economically, for reasons that should have been obvious from the beginning. Unfortunately, many liberal politicians, and the people who support them, live in an economic fantasy land. (See, e.g., Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, etc.).

And this is one of the primary reasons Obamacare is a disaster. Insurance companies glommed onto this turd because they thought enough healthy people would enroll and, if not, they'd be bailed out with tax dollars. Win/win. Only it's not turning out that way. The healthy and young aren't enrolling in sufficient numbers - either because they've got perfectly good coverage through work or they'd rather just pay/dodge the tax penalty for being uninsured - and the risk corridor subsidies aren't sufficient to cover the losses.