Author Topic: Kansas Govenor disrespects First Amendment, tattles on high schooler  (Read 7647 times)

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas Govenor disrespects First Amendment, tattles on high schooler
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 12:07:50 PM »

I understand law enforcement monitoring these things for security purposes and have no problem with that.  I have a huge problem with any government official hiring a civilian to monitor the internet for people saying mean things.  Now if we want to take this specific case we have a governor who is the only governor in the history of America to eliminate his state's arts council because he wants to eliminate government waste yet he's using our tax dollars to pay people to monitor twitter.  Sorry but this makes him a hypocritical bad person, I don't care who else does it, its wrong even more so if you are pulling basic social services by claiming poor.

LOL, you're really grasping at straws here and not getting the point. I am amused at how many words you use while grasping though.

I don't give a flying eff who else pays pays people to search the net for negative feedback, doesnt make it right. Succinct enough for you?

Why is it wrong? Is it wrong for politicians to also subscribe to clipping services?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 12:13:02 PM »

I understand law enforcement monitoring these things for security purposes and have no problem with that.  I have a huge problem with any government official hiring a civilian to monitor the internet for people saying mean things.  Now if we want to take this specific case we have a governor who is the only governor in the history of America to eliminate his state's arts council because he wants to eliminate government waste yet he's using our tax dollars to pay people to monitor twitter.  Sorry but this makes him a hypocritical bad person, I don't care who else does it, its wrong even more so if you are pulling basic social services by claiming poor.

LOL, you're really grasping at straws here and not getting the point. I am amused at how many words you use while grasping though.

I don't give a flying eff who else pays pays people to search the net for negative feedback, doesnt make it right. Succinct enough for you?

Why is it wrong? Is it wrong for politicians to also subscribe to clipping services?

Unless he is paying for web searches out of his own pocket, it is very wrong.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 12:24:43 PM »

So no government funds for a clipping service then?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 12:24:53 PM »
I understand law enforcement monitoring these things for security purposes and have no problem with that. 

why not?

Believe me I hate law enforcement as much as anyone, but I do think that certain government figures and employees should be protected from psychos.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 12:31:59 PM »

It's completely unnecessary.  It's not like clipping services and web monitoring are used to govern.  Not accepting the health insurance reform money, cutting the arts council, snitching on high schoolers, the voting reform, etc were all unpopular stances some of which were very unpopular didn't stop all of these things from happening.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2011, 12:44:03 PM »

It's completely unnecessary.  It's not like clipping services and web monitoring are used to govern.  Not accepting the health insurance reform money, cutting the arts council, snitching on high schoolers, the voting reform, etc were all unpopular stances some of which were very unpopular didn't stop all of these things from happening.

So you know for certain that none of this monitoring or clipping service information was used in making decision based on a handful of mildly unpopular decisions.

None of those issues were very unpopular. For very unpopular issues see Wisconsin, Ohio. This is still Kansas, and Brownback would win an election tomorrow despite all those issues.

I'm no fan of Brownback, but the mere fact that he's monitoring social media isn't wrong. What he chooses to do with that information is incredibly wrong.

I'm sure you'd like a law passed to make it illegal to monitor social networks in the future because Browback is terrible at using an otherwise benign tool.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011, 01:24:12 PM »

Yes, no government funds for a clipping service.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2011, 01:25:02 PM »

So you know for certain that none of this monitoring or clipping service information was used in making decision based on a handful of mildly unpopular decisions.

None of those issues were very unpopular. For very unpopular issues see Wisconsin, Ohio. This is still Kansas, and Brownback would win an election tomorrow despite all those issues.

I'm no fan of Brownback, but the mere fact that he's monitoring social media isn't wrong. What he chooses to do with that information is incredibly wrong.

I'm sure you'd like a law passed to make it illegal to monitor social networks in the future because Browback is terrible at using an otherwise benign tool.

He absolutely should not be making any decisions based upon information returned by a clipping service.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2011, 01:32:04 PM »
I'm surprised GLAAD isn't calling her out for using gay references as insults. I can't stand Brownback either, but #heblowsalot is pretty lame.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2011, 01:43:41 PM »

Are you intentionally ignoring obvious the point?  It's wrong of him to pay people to monitor this crap because he rants about government waste has cut basic services under this premise.  You want to eliminate government waste you should start with people who get paid to read newspapers, Facebook, & Twitter.  He has a secretary to the secretary who does his scheduling, her job is to play on the internet.  Not wasteful at all, perfectly reasonable.  Is your last name Burget by chance?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2011, 02:00:25 PM »
Guys this is Farmageddon week. FOCUS!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »

Gov
“My staff over-reacted to this tweet, and for that I apologize,” he said. “Freedom of speech is among our most treasured freedoms.”

So good for him for actually apologizing even though it took a week.  I bet he would have rather done what K-S-U Wildcats! suggested he should do and just ignore it and hope it went away, but I'm sure Niomi Burget saw the thread and told him the right thing to do.  Now he just needs to fire the people he's paying to monitor the internet and this situation would work out perfectly.  Pretty sure Niomi won't tell Sam about the last part of this plan.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2011, 09:04:51 PM »

MIR,

Don't you think you're overreacting, just a little?

The guy looks like a jackass.  He's not quite the SS.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 09:16:58 PM »

MIR,

Don't you think you're overreacting, just a little?

The guy looks like a jackass.  He's not quite the SS.

Conspiring to oppress, threaten or intimidate the speech of a single individual? Sounds like Heinrich Himmler

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2011, 10:25:19 PM »
Now if we want to take this specific case we have a governor who is the only governor in the history of America to eliminate his state's arts council because he wants to eliminate government waste yet he's using our tax dollars to pay people to monitor twitter.  Sorry but this makes him a hypocritical bad person, I don't care who else does it, its wrong even more so if you are pulling basic social services by claiming poor.

So let me get this straight.  Your saying an arts council is a basic social service?  Isn't giving a low paying job to a person needing a job more of a social service than an arts council?  Please explain so I can fully understand you political views.  Thanks!!

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2011, 11:07:01 PM »

How does this foot with the "report people misrepresenting the healthcare bill to the DHHS" Obama administration snafu?  Worse?  Better?
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2011, 12:21:21 AM »
Now if we want to take this specific case we have a governor who is the only governor in the history of America to eliminate his state's arts council because he wants to eliminate government waste yet he's using our tax dollars to pay people to monitor twitter.  Sorry but this makes him a hypocritical bad person, I don't care who else does it, its wrong even more so if you are pulling basic social services by claiming poor.

So let me get this straight.  Your saying an arts council is a basic social service?  Isn't giving a low paying job to a person needing a job more of a social service than an arts council?  Please explain so I can fully understand you political views.  Thanks!!

Why discuss political views, it isn't a political issue?  An Arts Council is a basic social service in 49 out of 50 states and has been for as long as anyone can remember.  It also was one in Kansas until about 4 months ago, even the very Republican, very conservative Kansas state house thought it was.  The second part of your question is too moronic to address, so I won't.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2011, 08:07:36 AM »

Are you intentionally ignoring obvious the point?  It's wrong of him to pay people to monitor this crap because he rants about government waste has cut basic services under this premise.  You want to eliminate government waste you should start with people who get paid to read newspapers, Facebook, & Twitter.  He has a secretary to the secretary who does his scheduling, her job is to play on the internet.  Not wasteful at all, perfectly reasonable.  Is your last name Burget by chance?
In addition to my job responsibilities, I also monitor the internet for all @KansasSports activity. It can consume a good portion of my day.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2011, 09:06:22 AM »

Are you intentionally ignoring obvious the point?  It's wrong of him to pay people to monitor this crap because he rants about government waste has cut basic services under this premise.  You want to eliminate government waste you should start with people who get paid to read newspapers, Facebook, & Twitter.  He has a secretary to the secretary who does his scheduling, her job is to play on the internet.  Not wasteful at all, perfectly reasonable.  Is your last name Burget by chance?
In addition to my job responsibilities, I also monitor the internet for all @KansasSports activity. It can consume a good portion of my day.

I monitor the internet for stories and any mention about me.  Only takes a few minutes.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2011, 09:22:02 AM »
MiR gets mad about such weird things.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2011, 10:17:27 AM »
FWIW, a friend of mine tweeted negative stuff about Lynn Jenkins at some point and was told by his employer, who had been contacted by Lynn Jenkins' staff, to take it down.

Great example of why personal twitter handle shouldn't be so easy to track down.

Also, eff Lynn Jenkins.  She had no comment to me when I gave her crap before Thanksgiving.  Coulda at least RT'ed me or insulted me.  eff her.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2011, 11:11:38 AM »
"take your tweet down", LOL

Like that means anything.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2011, 01:17:38 PM »

iknowrite very few people across the country have expressed shock, outrage, or embarrassment about this.  I'm completely on an island.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2011, 01:14:34 PM »

iknowrite very few people across the country have expressed shock, outrage, or embarrassment about this.  I'm completely on an island.

ya