Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4074731 times)

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #30300 on: April 22, 2018, 09:40:43 AM »
http://awfulannouncing.com/league-networks/comcast-drops-big-ten-network-in-many-out-of-market-areas.html
 :party:

That's a mistake by Comcast unless they expect their competitors to quickly follow suit. Unlike the Pac 12 Network, the Big 10 Network is carried by all the big national television providers. As the article points out, there are Big 10 fans all over the country and they provide quality programming. If you're a Maryland fan in DC, or a Michigan fan in NYC, you have no choice but to drop Comcast.

Cable companies are monopolies in their market areas. Where I live, I either get Cox Communications or I don't get cable. I assume the similar is true for Comcast markets. If they want cable, Comcast is their only option.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30301 on: April 22, 2018, 07:24:47 PM »
http://awfulannouncing.com/league-networks/comcast-drops-big-ten-network-in-many-out-of-market-areas.html
 :party:

That's a mistake by Comcast unless they expect their competitors to quickly follow suit. Unlike the Pac 12 Network, the Big 10 Network is carried by all the big national television providers. As the article points out, there are Big 10 fans all over the country and they provide quality programming. If you're a Maryland fan in DC, or a Michigan fan in NYC, you have no choice but to drop Comcast.

Cable companies are monopolies in their market areas. Where I live, I either get Cox Communications or I don't get cable. I assume the similar is true for Comcast markets. If they want cable, Comcast is their only option.

That is not the case here in Boone County Iowa. There are at least two cable providers, at least three fiber optic cable options, and at least 2 satellite providers; incidentally they all offer BTN.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30302 on: April 24, 2018, 09:34:37 PM »
Much ado about nothing.  Comcast wants big 10 to lower their price.  Easier to ask than price increases for the viewers.  Used to have Dish, happened about every 5 years with nfl

It's not a carriage dispute.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30306 on: May 07, 2018, 02:23:22 PM »
I wonder how much a bad team can drag the ratings down.  I would imagine the B12 having no garbage team helped immensely.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30307 on: May 07, 2018, 03:11:48 PM »
I wonder how much a bad team can drag the ratings down.  I would imagine the B12 having no garbage team helped immensely.

Also we only have 10 league games a week that all fit in the ESPN family in a week.  The Big10 & ACC have more games that get pushed to smaller distribution channels the BTN or whatever the local Raycom type system is in the ACC footprint now. 

I'm not saying that to knock the Big12.  That's one of the perks of being a truly double round-Robin league.  Less games drives all games to national & every good team plays the other good teams twice.  I also think every team playing every other team twice has helped drive competition in the league, thus pushing everyone to get better.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 04:50:35 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30308 on: May 07, 2018, 04:42:55 PM »
trae young probably was the biggest factor

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30309 on: May 07, 2018, 05:11:15 PM »
or the resurgence of America's Team

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #30310 on: May 07, 2018, 10:15:44 PM »
yeah, that is what my friend who is a huge tv insider calls "The oscar Bump"

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #30311 on: May 07, 2018, 10:18:44 PM »
Facts are Facts, people love watching KState kicking in heads.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30312 on: May 16, 2018, 06:31:50 AM »

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30313 on: May 16, 2018, 09:23:51 AM »
In 2023 we need to grab the two Arizonia schools and the four California schools and call it a day.  Of couse at that point we could just flip the SEC & BiG 10 the finger.   :bigtoke:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #30314 on: May 16, 2018, 10:26:38 AM »
In 2023 we need to grab the two Arizonia schools and the four California schools and call it a day.  Of couse at that point we could just flip the SEC & BiG 10 the finger.   :bigtoke:
If we're gonna fantasize about swooping up 6 PAC schools, my vote would be:

UA
UCLA
USC
UW
UO
CU
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30315 on: May 16, 2018, 06:47:56 PM »

UA
UCLA
USC
UW
UO
CU

The only reason for the Arizona and California schools is it will also have the benefit of turning the PAC 12 in G5 conference; after the leftover schools merge with the Mountain West conference.  Plus we would only need to travel to two states with the benefit of a large population for the media contract.  Texas and Oklahoma schools would love this arrangement.  Of course our media contract would be as valuable as the Big 10 or SEC contracts.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30316 on: May 20, 2018, 09:46:27 AM »

UA
UCLA
USC
UW
UO
CU

The only reason for the Arizona and California schools is it will also have the benefit of turning the PAC 12 in G5 conference; after the leftover schools merge with the Mountain West conference.  Plus we would only need to travel to two states with the benefit of a large population for the media contract.  Texas and Oklahoma schools would love this arrangement.  Of course our media contract would be as valuable as the Big 10 or SEC contracts.

What are the chances some merger occurs and leaves us out with the Mountain West?

B. Kerkhoff was on The Program recently, he and Petro both seemed in agreement that being the first to 20, through a merger of Big XII and PAC 12, might be the smartest route. I remain skeptical that the payouts would be good enough for this to happen though. They also surmised that TCU and Baylor could not be part of this merger, as the PAC is not interested in these cult schools.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #30317 on: May 20, 2018, 02:00:13 PM »
Hey TCU and Baylor, Cal-Berkley thinks you are cultish.

:eek:
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30318 on: June 01, 2018, 05:40:10 PM »
The Big 12 will distribute $36.5 million per school in the conference as part of its revenue sharing.

In terms of total revenue, the Big 12 made $364.87 million for the 2017-18 fiscal year. Media rights and the like will help some programs -- such as Texas, with the Longhorn Network -- to draw even more than the $36.5 million that is being handed out to them by the conference alone. In terms of the national picture, the Big 12 is sitting squarely in the creamy revenue middle, with their programs drawing less than the SEC or ACC, but more than the Pac-12 or Big Ten.

Source: College Football Talk

Is that good? Does it mean we're going to steal USC? Probably.  :dunno:

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30319 on: June 01, 2018, 08:33:06 PM »
In terms of the national picture, the Big 12 is sitting squarely in the creamy revenue middle, with their programs drawing less than the SEC or ACC, but more than the Pac-12 or Big Ten.

Whoever wrote this is a dummy. The ACC is dead last in distributions. Our conference is behind the big ten and sec, and ahead of the pac 12 and acc.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30320 on: June 01, 2018, 09:32:55 PM »
In terms of the national picture, the Big 12 is sitting squarely in the creamy revenue middle, with their programs drawing less than the SEC or ACC, but more than the Pac-12 or Big Ten.

Whoever wrote this is a dummy. The ACC is dead last in distributions. Our conference is behind the big ten and sec, and ahead of the pac 12 and acc.

Ya, they don't have copy editors because they make mistakes like that from time to time. I also failed to include, "The Big 12 will distribute $36.5 million per school in the conference as part of its revenue sharing."

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #30321 on: June 02, 2018, 11:05:38 PM »
I love being new money
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30322 on: August 28, 2018, 02:28:25 PM »
Not sure where to put this

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2018/08/27/ncaa-gives-utes-credit/

NCAA gives the ‘08 Utes credit as national champions
Computer ranking placed unbeaten Utah above BCS winner Florida.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #30323 on: August 28, 2018, 02:34:17 PM »
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30324 on: November 27, 2018, 06:25:01 PM »
Making less and spending more.

Scott negotiated the sweetest administrative compensation package in all of college athletics for himself: $4.8 million a year...
Greg Sankey, the Southeastern Conference commissioner, who makes $1.9 million a year by comparison. Also, Scott makes more than Jim Delany, the Big Ten Conference commissioner, who brings home $2.4 million a year.

the SEC is headquartered in a 25-year-old, two-story building in Birmingham, Ala. The rent costs the conference $318,000 a year.

The Big Ten Conference office makes its primary home in suburban Chicago and also, has a satellite office in New York. Annual rent: $1.5 million.

The Pac-12 Conference headquarters cost the conference $6.9 million in rent in the last reported fiscal year. They're also carrying $11.7 million in deferred rent.

https://twitter.com/Oregonian/status/1067435349964550147