Author Topic: 8manpicks OFFICIAL list of top bands from the 90's  (Read 9452 times)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: 8manpicks OFFICIAL list of top bands from the 90's
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2013, 09:30:27 PM »
only in dreams is far and away weezer's best song.  fantastic choice there.

we've talked about this irl

I wish I could think of a band worse than The Offspring. I can't though.
I'll fight you

I would put Radiohead above 3EB and RHCP.  And Smashing Pumpkins should be on that list somewhere (IMO!).  But good list overall.
I said Radiohead was the "best", but not my favorite. I should probably like the Pumpkins more, but I don't. Corgan's voice and douchebaggery I think.
:adios:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2013, 09:32:53 PM »

I wish I could think of a band worse than The Offspring. I can't though.

I can't think of a band better than The Offspring because it is the best one and my favorite.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2013, 09:34:13 PM »
That top 5  :love:

I have a few different but overall this is a pretty great list. Obviously 8mp can judge good music a lot better than Stevesie.

We've got room for a Top 10 Fred Durst Lyrics list or something on the blog...

The people need this....he is one of the most underrated song writers of our generation.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2013, 09:35:19 PM »

as the biggest pre-green album weezer fan on this blog, i will confirm.  do not agree with "far and away" tho.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2013, 09:36:39 PM »
like that you included third eye blind.  i wrote them off while they were doing their thing, but started listening to them about a year or so ago.  one of my favorite things to do is a 2am headphone session of "the background", "motorcycle drive by", and "god of wine" - that's such a great three songs to close out the album.  motorcycle drive by is probably my favorite song of theirs, but thumbs up

I've often wished that the last 6 songs of 3eb and the first 6 of Blue were combined as an album. I bought Blue for my brother for his birthday when it came out, but didn't really care for it until I relistened to it 10 years later.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2013, 09:39:50 PM »
like that you included third eye blind.  i wrote them off while they were doing their thing, but started listening to them about a year or so ago.  one of my favorite things to do is a 2am headphone session of "the background", "motorcycle drive by", and "god of wine" - that's such a great three songs to close out the album.  motorcycle drive by is probably my favorite song of theirs, but thumbs up

I've often wished that the last 6 songs of 3eb and the first 6 of Blue were combined as an album. I bought Blue for my brother for his birthday when it came out, but didn't really care for it until I relistened to it 10 years later.

hmm - looks like i'm making my first album tonight :cheers:

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2013, 09:40:43 PM »
also, pretty good list, but any 90's list without the urge as #1 is complete dogshit.  sorry 8mp.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2013, 09:41:43 PM »
I said Radiohead was the "best", but not my favorite. I should probably like the Pumpkins more, but I don't. Corgan's voice and douchebaggery I think.

that's fair.  personal preference and all.  pumpkins aren't for everyone either so w/e.  pretty great decade of music in general.
emaw

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2013, 09:42:24 PM »

as the biggest pre-green album weezer fan on this blog, i will confirm.  do not agree with "far and away" tho.

As a bigger overall Weezer fan than seven, I can confirm that "Only In Dreams" is FAR and AWAY Weezer's best song. I've literally watched that rehearsal vid over 100 times on the youtubes. Weezer is my #1 band of the 90's.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2013, 09:57:45 PM »

I have a few different but overall this is a pretty great list. Obviously 8mp can judge good music a lot better than Stevesie.

The people need this....he is one of the most underrated song writers of our generation.

You know what to do.  Make sure you send me youtube links with the time thing cued up to the right part, or at least tell me where in them to go to.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2013, 10:22:50 PM »

You know what to do.  Make sure you send me youtube links with the time thing cued up to the right part, or at least tell me where in them to go to.
It's just one of those days feeling like a freight train, first one to proclaim leaves with the bloodstain

Poetic

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
8manpicks OFFICIAL list of top bands from the 90's
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2013, 11:12:59 PM »
No Smashing Pumpkins makes me sad, but your list is pretty great. 'Grats on the (correct) lack of Nirvana. I feel like Neutral Milk Hotel could make it onto your list. And if you've listened to them and don't like them then I just have no idea how to gauge what you like and don't like.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2013, 11:35:38 PM »
What about the Offspring is good? Their non-punk poser punk persona, their horrible novelty songs, or the lack of any decent musicianship?

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2013, 11:40:14 PM »
What about the Offspring is good? Their non-punk poser punk persona, their horrible novelty songs, or the lack of any decent musicianship?

get out of here grandpa, go complain with dax or something.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2013, 10:21:29 AM »

their jamsies

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2013, 10:35:39 AM »
I'm glad no one on this board pretends that Nirvana was ever anything more than an average band
emaw

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2013, 10:40:34 AM »
I'm glad no one on this board pretends that Nirvana was ever anything more than an average band

They were quite important to the musical climate, and had some really good songs. To deny that is stupid. The musicianship from Krist and Dave is really great.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2013, 10:50:15 AM »

They were quite important to the musical climate, and had some really good songs. To deny that is stupid. The musicianship from Krist and Dave is really great.

good not great

imo here of course, just never been a fan
emaw

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2013, 11:14:10 AM »

I don't think anyone here hates them, we just agree that they're outside the top 10.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2013, 11:15:28 AM »

I don't think anyone here hates them, we just agree that they're outside the top 10.

weve been over this before, but basically it was agreed upon by everyone with half a brain that the only reason theyre praised is because of a "tragic" (<--- yeah, in quotes, what now, bitches?) death.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2013, 11:16:02 AM »

Yeah the Offspring is way better. Have you heard "Pretty Fly for a White Guy"?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2013, 11:20:27 AM »

Have you ever listened to Smash from start to finish? Good grief

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2013, 11:21:08 AM »

I'd rather listen to Smash or Americana all the way through than anything by Nirvana except maybe Unplugged, which I rated lower than deserved because it is half cover songs. So what? :comeatme:

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2013, 11:22:24 AM »

weve been over this before, but basically it was agreed upon by everyone with half a brain that the only reason theyre praised is because of a "tragic" (<--- yeah, in quotes, what now, bitches?) death.

I mean, they basically invented grunge (here comes 8manpick with a bunch of links to older songs that sound "grungey"). And to go from 80's hair bands with very effeminate lead singers to a dude in thrift store clothes that stands haphazardly in front of a mic stand while playing guitar was a pretty huge jump.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2013, 11:22:26 AM »

Have you ever listened to Smash from start to finish? Good grief

But, but their songs are all joke songs!