Author Topic: Non-Political Market/Economy/Finance/etc. Thread  (Read 19360 times)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Political Market/Economy/Finance/etc. Thread
« Reply #550 on: May 01, 2024, 10:09:50 AM »
I assume they have a finite window to use them because they either arent safe for continuous useage or the drug companies know they will lose efficacy in prolonged settings or both.

Yeah, this seems ripe for the potential, "we made 600 billion dollars, but got fined 2 billion dollars, because a bunch of wieners fell off after taking it for 10 years straight."
Oopsie, we totally won't do it again with the next drug that comes out.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 01, 2024, 10:13:46 AM »
I assume they have a finite window to use them because they either arent safe for continuous useage or the drug companies know they will lose efficacy in prolonged settings or both.

they talk about this on CNBC all the time. my understanding from there is that there are still no known long term real negative side effects (acid reflux being the only one I've heard) and that the weight loss does plateau at some point (ie. you don't shrink to zero lbs) but that the efficacy doesn't seem to wane.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 01, 2024, 10:15:41 AM »
Coke needs to come up with their own version of the drug and just put it in coke. Same for Yum Brands, McD’s, etc.

It is truly transformative, and the impact to fast food and junk food will be immense. When I am on it, I have no craving for food.  If you offer me something good to eat, I'll eat it and enjoy it, but I won't want more than a few ounces. I was viewing food more as fuel, and would just as soon pound a couple premier protein shakes as bother to eat a "meal."

What about when you're super baked?
California glp1

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 01, 2024, 10:17:53 AM »
Honestly if my options are everyone continues to eat highly processed nutrient deficient food unchecked at current pace or the same plus weiner falling off drugs to combat it I'd choose the weiners falling off. We could just stop eating the shitty food and avoid all the weiner falling off stuff but we have proven we won't do that.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 01, 2024, 10:21:03 AM »
Well, good news, because apparently you can both keep the wiener and lose the weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: May 01, 2024, 10:39:10 AM »
Well, good news, because apparently you can both keep the wiener and lose the weight

:billdance:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 01, 2024, 11:05:18 AM »
other than losing muscle as well as fat, i haven't heard of a single concern re. glp-1 use.  on the contrary, every story that comes out on them is is like "welp, we found another thing these drugs cure without even trying".

i think i'm gonna try to buy some of the oral version the next time i'm in mexico.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Non-Political Market/Economy/Finance/etc. Thread
« Reply #557 on: May 01, 2024, 11:28:31 AM »
I have gained and lost weight many times in my life. Most of my 40’s I was very fit, but last few years after Covid I gained a ton. Using the GLP-1 helps me be happier while I lose the weight. I started trying to get back in shape in January and work out nearly every day, but using the glp1 drug allows me to reduce the agonizing struggle of hoarding and splurging on caloric “points” each day.

Having tried a glp1 drug, I am CONVINCED it’s the best way to live for me. I hope I have access to it, and the fund to afford it for the rest of my life.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 01, 2024, 11:30:35 AM »
https://twitter.com/yahoofinance/status/1785676405419708895?s=46&t=odWzhuZU7P443NcVwlC1iQ

I only buy index funds, but if I had the money to take big bets, I’d bet this trend continues and I’d be shorting brands like this (assuming they have upticks against which to enter into a short!).

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #559 on: May 01, 2024, 12:39:18 PM »
Inflation pressure killing that market while pizza and the like thrive. Look at places where $10 will cover a couple of meals. They're kicking ass.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 01, 2024, 12:43:21 PM »
Yeah, it’s probably not smart to bet against the American appetite until glp1 drugs go generic.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 01, 2024, 12:46:40 PM »
Inflation pressure killing that market while pizza and the like thrive. Look at places where $10 will cover a couple of meals. They're kicking ass.

Where will $10 cover two meals?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 01, 2024, 12:50:32 PM »
You can probably get at least 10 meals for $10 in India
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #563 on: May 01, 2024, 12:54:58 PM »

Where will $10 cover two meals?
Domino's etc

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 01, 2024, 01:10:28 PM »
I have gained and lost weight many times in my life. Most of my 40’s I was very fit, but last few years after Covid I gained a ton. Using the GLP-1 helps me be happier while I lose the weight. I started trying to get back in shape in January and work out nearly every day, but using the glp1 drug allows me to reduce the agonizing struggle of hoarding and splurging on caloric “points” each day.

Having tried a glp1 drug, I am CONVINCED it’s the best way to live for me. I hope I have access to it, and the fund to afford it for the rest of my life.

Yep, this is the way to do it Pete. The issue is, many people will just take it not do anything else. It will still help them so that rules, but being active/exercising is still the best drug on the planet. You are going to be an elite specimen doing both, but i'm still not convinced your wiener isn't going to fall off in 10 years.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 01, 2024, 01:55:22 PM »
other than losing muscle as well as fat, i haven't heard of a single concern re. glp-1 use.  on the contrary, every story that comes out on them is is like "welp, we found another thing these drugs cure without even trying".

i think i'm gonna try to buy some of the oral version the next time i'm in mexico.

I think the muscle loss could be prevented if you eat enough protein, unless there is something about the drug itself that makes protein vulnerable, the reason ppl lose it is because they aren't eating enough of it when they are in deficit.  However, to do that you would have to track macros, and most folks aren't going to do that.

Pete, make sure you are getting enough protein.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 01, 2024, 02:04:09 PM »
Yeah, 100% it’s just that you’re in a calorie deficit. I think Pete keeps the protein industry in business and think he’ll be just fine.