Author Topic: Shockers  (Read 94358 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Shockers
« Reply #300 on: February 20, 2014, 10:10:31 PM »
Its a really simple and hackneyed talking point, guess I expected him to take up a cause more nuanced and unexplored like how may Florida be helped by playing in a garbage conference.

Why?

Most college fans care about how good Wichita State is right now. The undefeated thing in the regular season is a big deal. The discussion of "would Florida go undefeated in the MVC" simply isn't interesting for most people. Plus Florida still has 7 wins over Top 50 teams.

I think you are reading something different than what I'm saying re Florida.

My larger point isn't that we shouldn't be discussing whether or not we should be discussing how good Wichita State is. Speculating whether or not they would lose in Ames does not advance that discussion, nor would it for any other team in America. The discussion about every other team and their worthiness is revolves around who they put on the floor. Is it too much to ask that one of the preeminent voices in the sport move the conversation beyond what we would hear on Mike and Mike or some random local hacky sports talk show in Cleveland?

It's just sports so I think discussing whatever you want is fine.  I could be wrong though because I have no clue what you guys are talking about.

I'm kind of with you 33.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 20, 2014, 10:11:53 PM »
i think its weird/very weird that you guys listen to sports radio or whatever it is that you're talking about

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 20, 2014, 10:11:58 PM »
i think its weird/very weird that you guys listen to sports radio or whatever it is that you're talking about

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 20, 2014, 10:21:30 PM »
Its a really simple and hackneyed talking point, guess I expected him to take up a cause more nuanced and unexplored like how may Florida be helped by playing in a garbage conference.

Why?

Most college fans care about how good Wichita State is right now. The undefeated thing in the regular season is a big deal. The discussion of "would Florida go undefeated in the MVC" simply isn't interesting for most people. Plus Florida still has 7 wins over Top 50 teams.

My larger point isn't that we shouldn't be discussing whether or not we should be discussing how good Wichita State is. Speculating whether or not they would lose in Ames does not advance that discussion, nor would it for any other team in America. The discussion about every other team and their worthiness is revolves around who they put on the floor. Is it too much to ask that one of the preeminent voices in the sport move the conversation beyond what we would hear on Mike and Mike or some random local hacky sports talk show in Cleveland?

And there you have the overratedness of one Doug Gotleib. I think he was great when he was coming up in the ranks but I think he's starting to take his game to the middle aged level where Colin Cowherd resides.

His show is becoming a lil dry to me when I hear it now. 

Great analysis MIR..

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 20, 2014, 10:23:02 PM »
I think it's more weird how MIR is getting all Beems Gridiron Club butthurt about a Shocker team that has nothing to do with the Cats...maybe the bandwagon didn't want to stop to pick him up in his neighborhood?

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 20, 2014, 10:24:35 PM »
I think it's more weird how MIR is getting all Beems Gridiron Club butthurt about a Shocker team that has nothing to do with the Cats...maybe the bandwagon didn't want to stop to pick him up in his neighborhood?

Shut up butthole.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 20, 2014, 10:25:13 PM »

Why?

It's just sports so I think discussing whatever you want is fine.

I'll acknowledge this post now so you don't feel the need to post it a third time

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 20, 2014, 10:27:11 PM »

And I'll ack. this post so HE doesn't feel the need to post it a third time.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 20, 2014, 10:29:38 PM »

get out of the thread then, simp

25-0.

:Woohoo:

Why the woohoo? Do you want them to keep winning so they could potentially be the first 1 seed to lose to a 16, because I do

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 20, 2014, 10:32:02 PM »

Why?

And there you have the overratedness of one Doug Gotleib. I think he was great when he was coming up in the ranks but I think he's starting to take his game to the middle aged level where Colin Cowherd resides.

Great analysis MIR..

I don't know what it is but he has annoyed me quite a bit since he went to CBS Sports, especially on Twitter, it just seems to be a giant troll job.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 21, 2014, 06:57:27 AM »

Why?

Great analysis MIR..

I don't know what it is but he has annoyed me quite a bit since he went to CBS Sports, especially on Twitter, it just seems to be a giant troll job.

I know what it is, and you're not going to like it.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 21, 2014, 07:52:03 AM »
i could be wrong but i don't think most people look at the strength of schedule thing in a way that i think is most important.  at this point in the season, the biggest issue w/ SoS is the cumulative effect (or lack thereof) that playing shitty teams all season has on a team, not the singular event of playing a shitty team on a random tuesday night.  the opposite is true of those teams playing in tougher conferences.  i know it's obvious but i'm not sure people really consider it a whole lot when having these discussions.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 21, 2014, 08:10:35 AM »
i could be wrong but i don't think most people look at the strength of schedule thing in a way that i think is most important.  at this point in the season, the biggest issue w/ SoS is the cumulative effect (or lack thereof) that playing shitty teams all season has on a team, not the singular event of playing a shitty team on a random tuesday night.  the opposite is true of those teams playing in tougher conferences.  i know it's obvious but i'm not sure people really consider it a whole lot when having these discussions.

Yes, good post.

catzacker

« Reply #313 on: February 21, 2014, 08:54:45 AM »

this is exactly why I discount WSU.  It's not that they played Southern Illinois (226)...it's that they then played @ Evansville (226) and then @ Loyola (279)...up next is Drake (181) then a roadie at Bradley (248). 

sure, Syracuse lost to BC (166) but that was after playing Duke (8), ND (108), Clemson (68), @ Pitt (31), NC St (63)...and then after playing BC, they have to @ Duke (8), @ Maryland (74), @ Virginia (14). 

IMO, a team from the Big 12, Big 10, Pac-12, ACC, and possibly Florida deserve a #1 seed over WSU.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 21, 2014, 01:45:55 PM »

Why?

Great analysis MIR..

I know what it is, and you're not going to like it.

tell me because I'm not foolish enough to think that he's changed so why do I see him differently

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

catzacker

« Reply #316 on: February 21, 2014, 03:08:03 PM »
http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/the_invisible_hand_of_home_court_advantage

i have no idea what he was trying to say.  apparently, Syracuse is the only team that benefits from home court advantage.  so eff them and everyone who thinks they are the #1 team.  meanwhile, wsu plays Bishop Carroll this week.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 21, 2014, 03:09:59 PM »
http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/the_invisible_hand_of_home_court_advantage

i have no idea what he was trying to say.  apparently, Syracuse is the only team that benefits from home court advantage.  so eff them and everyone who thinks they are the #1 team.  meanwhile, wsu plays Bishop Carroll this week.

that's exactly what he's saying

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 21, 2014, 03:32:18 PM »
28-0. Only undefeated team in the country.

:Woohoo:
@lopakman

catzacker

« Reply #319 on: February 21, 2014, 03:35:58 PM »

that's exactly what he's saying

well, then I guess I do know what he's saying.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 22, 2014, 09:05:19 PM »

29-0.

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 23, 2014, 08:27:43 AM »
@lopakman

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 23, 2014, 08:41:05 AM »
:jerk:

Offline PvtLamb

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 23, 2014, 09:24:34 AM »

Seems like there are examples on both sides of that - #2 Missouri losing in the 2nd round and of course KU losing in the 2nd or 3rd round after playing in the Big 12.

The biggest difference b/t WSU's schedule last year and this year, is not playing Creighton 3x.  Three games against Creighton, who lost their 2nd NCAA game, will make all of the difference?

Florida Gulf Coast last year smoking #2 Georgetown after playing in the Atlantic Sun.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 23, 2014, 09:35:30 AM »

Seems like there are examples on both sides of that - #2 Missouri losing in the 2nd round and of course KU losing in the 2nd or 3rd round after playing in the Big 12.

The biggest difference b/t WSU's schedule last year and this year, is not playing Creighton 3x.  Three games against Creighton, who lost their 2nd NCAA game, will make all of the difference?

Florida Gulf Coast last year smoking #2 Georgetown after playing in the Atlantic Sun.

Georgetown's consistency in the tournament says more about them than the win did for FGCU