Author Topic: Noah smith, liar or dumbass?  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Noah smith, liar or dumbass?
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2024, 07:02:45 PM »
Republicans HATE this one simple trick ...

Steve Dave deleted his post, rendering mine inscrutable.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2024, 07:04:33 PM »

IT WAS 5 YEAR OLD DATA AND I'M LOOKING FOR MORE RECENT!  :frown:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2024, 07:05:55 PM »

IT WAS 5 YEAR OLD DATA AND I'M LOOKING FOR MORE RECENT!  :frown:

I am watching and will quote it next time. Also, like, share, subscribe, screenshot, etc.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2024, 07:06:46 PM »
I put it back

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2024, 07:08:21 PM »
 :D

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2024, 09:17:44 PM »
Don't millennials/genZers pretty much have to have more education? Not sure if it's just hyperbole but I keep hearing more and more stories of positions requiring a 4 yr degree when the job description quite frankly doesn't even require a full high school education.
One primary source anecdote: Mrs BAC (works for Satan in O&G) mentioned that they have job openings for admins. She also noted that all of the current admins... Most of which have been working there between 15-20 years, are not qualified for the new hire admin positions they are looking to fill

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2024, 09:56:10 PM »
saying housing "costs" are not much higher than a generation ago is ignoring the fact that housing is also an asset that is much more valuable than a generation ago.

wut?  genuinely no idea what you are saying here.

not sure why you twisted into children either.  i didn't read it, but afaik, the economist article was not an attempt at understanding declining birth rates.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2024, 09:56:50 PM »
Don't millennials/genZers pretty much have to have more education? Not sure if it's just hyperbole but I keep hearing more and more stories of positions requiring a 4 yr degree when the job description quite frankly doesn't even require a full high school education.
One primary source anecdote: Mrs BAC (works for Satan in O&G) mentioned that they have job openings for admins. She also noted that all of the current admins... Most of which have been working there between 15-20 years, are not qualified for the new hire admin positions they are looking to fill

Probably some hyperbole, but younger millennials gen z and their parents have probably been hoodwinked a bit in this regard. There are a lot of god jobs out there that don’t require university or advanced degrees, but most of the managerial/hr/etc. type jobs do. Couple that with the high price of college nowadays and in recent times and the number of people getting worthless degrees or degrees for low-paying sectors and there you have it.

There are tons of good jobs in tech, manufacturing and the trades that don’t require advanced degrees.

Imo the trades are only going to become more valuable and less and less people will be able to do even the most menial of tasks in the future.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Noah smith, liar or dumbass?
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2024, 05:38:06 PM »
saying housing "costs" are not much higher than a generation ago is ignoring the fact that housing is also an asset that is much more valuable than a generation ago.

wut?  genuinely no idea what you are saying here.

not sure why you twisted into children either.  i didn't read it, but afaik, the economist article was not an attempt at understanding declining birth rates.
Your chart was adjusted for household size. So the declining birthrate is important because children are part of the household, but they mostly don’t contribute any income. So declining birthrates are pretty relevant not only to the source, but also because a declining workforce will also impact the quality of life for the younger generations if productivity increases don’t keep accelerating.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2024, 05:57:37 PM »
Brother you can set your watch by productivity increases

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2024, 06:12:38 PM »
technically, it's your chart.

i see your point on household size and i didn't see anywhere where that info is given by generation.  the authors did say this, but i don't see the data actually presented.

Consistent with these household formation
trends, the improvements across generations for those in their late-30s are also apparent when
looking at the incomes of individuals and couples, rather than households.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/econres/feds/files/2024007pap.pdf
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2024, 01:56:55 PM »
There are plenty of cheap houses in a lot of the flyover town that really thrived decades ago.  Fewer houses in the big metro areas.

Small town America kind of dying is an impact on the current housing situation that I don't see discussed very often.  A lot of our boomer parents that got these low cost homes lived in places like Norton, Kansas.  You too could buy a low cost home in Norton, Kansas!

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2024, 02:08:07 PM »
Sounds like someone's from Norton, KS ....

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2024, 02:27:40 PM »
There are plenty of cheap houses in a lot of the flyover town that really thrived decades ago.  Fewer houses in the big metro areas.

Small town America kind of dying is an impact on the current housing situation that I don't see discussed very often.  A lot of our boomer parents that got these low cost homes lived in places like Norton, Kansas.  You too could buy a low cost home in Norton, Kansas!
I wonder if some of this will be self correcting with remote work and early retirees

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2024, 02:38:34 PM »

I wonder if some of this will be self correcting with remote work and early retirees

I don't think so. You would think you'd see prices falling or at least stabilize on the coasts and that really isn't the case and really remote work has probably peaked and is on the way down.

Although anecdotally I do know someone I worked with in SF who took like $10k to be a remote worker in Tulsa and really enjoys it.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2024, 02:51:01 PM »

my understanding from folks that grew up in Norton size towns in western KS is that only old & small houses are cheap and that the newer & larger homes are quite expensive as thre is a limited number of them and most come with a sizeable piece of property

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2024, 03:28:02 PM »

Probably some hyperbole, but younger millennials gen z and their parents have probably been hoodwinked a bit in this regard. There are a lot of god jobs out there that don’t require university or advanced degrees, but most of the managerial/hr/etc. type jobs do. Couple that with the high price of college nowadays and in recent times and the number of people getting worthless degrees or degrees for low-paying sectors and there you have it.

There are tons of good jobs in tech, manufacturing and the trades that don’t require advanced degrees.

Imo the trades are only going to become more valuable and less and less people will be able to do even the most menial of tasks in the future.

education equals wealth. always has. always will.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2024, 03:28:47 PM »

my understanding from folks that grew up in Norton size towns in western KS is that only old & small houses are cheap and that the newer & larger homes are quite expensive as thre is a limited number of them and most come with a sizeable piece of property

the other thing to consider is nobody wants to live in Norton, KS

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2024, 03:30:07 PM »
Back to back shots fired at nicname  :sdeek:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2024, 03:30:57 PM »
Yeah, I don't really get what Norton did to deserve this ....

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2024, 03:39:13 PM »
Yeah, I don't really get what Norton did to deserve this ....

Norton knows exactly wtf it did - trust me

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2024, 04:08:14 PM »
Listen, nobody wants to live in Meade, KS either

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2024, 04:19:19 PM »
large swaths of this entire country are places no one wants to live

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2024, 04:40:53 PM »
large swaths of this entire country are places no one wants to live

Almost the entirety of it.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2024, 04:44:28 PM »
not specifically topical but the same percentage of people own homes at the same age for all of recorded history. you hear people claim differently all the time. liars and dumbasses I believe.

Sure the trends are similar, but based on that chart it looks like millennials trend about 10% boomers at pretty much every age (with Gen X in between). Not earth shattering but seems like it’s something.

So 10%-15% more Millenials went to (and paid for/are in debt for) college than Boomers/Gen X, and 10% less own homes? That seems significant.