Author Topic: competitive little kid sports  (Read 38862 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: competitive little kid sports
« Reply #750 on: January 11, 2024, 09:36:49 PM »
Extremely weird travel baseball families do that crap 8 times a summer. Toughen up cupcake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 11, 2024, 09:38:31 PM »
On that note our entire non weird team booked a Hyatt Place in West Des Moines for like $80 a night in June so I guess you can call me the travel HACKmaster.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 12, 2024, 06:18:56 AM »
Extremely weird travel baseball families do that crap 8 times a summer. Toughen up cupcake.

For less than 4 hours of competition? Of course you probably use about as much energy in an hour of water polo as you do in a full weekend of baseball so it's pretty similar.

Also in three weeks we're doing it again in California!

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 12, 2024, 08:34:24 AM »
we are flying to dallas in 2 weeks for 12u soccer.  it was cold as crap at that tourney last year so hoping it will be at least 50 this year.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 12, 2024, 10:10:38 AM »

For less than 4 hours of competition? Of course you probably use about as much energy in an hour of water polo as you do in a full weekend of baseball so it's pretty similar.

Also in three weeks we're doing it again in California!
I’m flying to Cali this morning!
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 12, 2024, 10:37:53 AM »
I predict that rusty will not reach out to me.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #756 on: January 13, 2024, 11:49:56 AM »

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 21, 2024, 09:15:42 AM »
I really enjoy my kids' school-sanctioned sports events but the non-school / club stuff just annoys the crap out of me. Crowded icy parking lots, gate fees, crappy seating, CoachDads with faces swollen to massive proportions from drinking a 12 pack of Busch Light every night angrily screaming in the faces of tiny fourth graders, parents coaching their kids from the stands and loudly critiquing novice refs for the entire forty minutes. I can't stand it. I've got one more season of watching youth basketball left and then I'm done.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 21, 2024, 09:57:46 AM »
Counterpoint we went 2-0 yesterday in hoops and it kicked ass

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 21, 2024, 10:22:15 AM »
I've found that as my daughter played at higher levels of water polo, the parents seemed to get more chill and just let coaches coach and officials officiate (as long as it doesn't get too rough). Probably because not many parents I'm around played the sport, but the ones I know who did play are very chill. But you go to a game with younger kids and sometimes the parents are terrible about yelling at kids to pass or shoot or whatever.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 21, 2024, 11:07:04 AM »
I started officiating basketball and volleyball this year to make a little extra money in addition to doing baseball. I only do school games now and won't do club or rec ever again because of how awful people are.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 21, 2024, 11:08:43 AM »
Also, if you have ever yelled at an umpire or ref from the stands, don't. It's unhelpful and you look like an ass.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 21, 2024, 03:31:02 PM »
I really enjoy my kids' school-sanctioned sports events but the non-school / club stuff just annoys the crap out of me. Crowded icy parking lots, gate fees, crappy seating, CoachDads with faces swollen to massive proportions from drinking a 12 pack of Busch Light every night angrily screaming in the faces of tiny fourth graders, parents coaching their kids from the stands and loudly critiquing novice refs for the entire forty minutes. I can't stand it. I've got one more season of watching youth basketball left and then I'm done.
I feel the same way about soccer

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 21, 2024, 04:34:49 PM »
I keep thinking the youth sports travel ball bubble is going to pop but it seems more popular than ever.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 21, 2024, 04:54:24 PM »
I keep thinking the youth sports travel ball bubble is going to pop but it seems more popular than ever.
That crap is absolutely never popping.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: January 21, 2024, 05:04:01 PM »
it will, but not until the kids involved now are old enough that they’re choosing to not involve their own children in it

this was interesting if you haven’t already seen it

https://youtu.be/AGxxBER5xJU?si=QIkwfE2BZ_esJqcj

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 21, 2024, 08:02:21 PM »
it will, but not until the kids involved now are old enough that they’re choosing to not involve their own children in it

One of the Dads at basketball yest was saying that they have been to a volleyball tournament in the Bartle Hall complex that had 60+ volleyball courts going. That boggles my mind.

I should add that my kid’s coaches are awesome, positive and treat the kids the right way. I think the practice environment she is in is positive and good for building skills. It is just the environment at tourneys that rubs me the wrong way.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 22, 2024, 09:00:10 AM »

I don't think it's going to pop anytime soon. I liked the Gumble story, very good.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: January 22, 2024, 11:05:42 AM »
Good news everyone! We got our tournement schedule for this coming weekend! The bad news is that it sucks! going to be split up most of the weekend which is the worst.

Friday:
5:00 gymnastics
9:00 PM basketball in council bluffs  :Yuck:

Saturday:
9:30-11:30 baseball practice
4:00 girls basketball in elkhorn
5:00 boys basketball in council bluffs
8:00 PM boys basketball in council bluffs  :Yuck:

Sunday:
9:00 boys basketball in bellevue
11:00 boys basketball in bellevue
3:30-5:30 baseball practice

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: January 24, 2024, 02:42:49 PM »
My daughter had her last competitive cheer competition last weekend.  I am officially done with youth sports forever.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: January 24, 2024, 02:59:05 PM »
You will be a youth sports grandpa
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: January 25, 2024, 07:58:28 AM »
dallas tourney this weekend got canceled (wet conditions i guess) which is great because our flight back was during the chiefs game!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 25, 2024, 09:11:33 AM »
my second grade girls are currently rec (undefeated, complete domination) and I regret to inform MYSELF that I was just FORCED to volunteer to coach their 3rd grade competitive basketball team. Tryouts in March. NOT GOOD GUYS.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: January 25, 2024, 09:19:03 AM »

x-post volleycats

https://www.lovb.com/news/suzie-fritz-and-matt-fuerbringer-to-join-lovb-coaching-roster

LOVB Pro Adds Two Renowned Americans as Head Coaches for its Inaugural Season

Today, League One Volleyball (LOVB, pronounced “love”), the #1 youth volleyball business in the U.S. whose pro league launches in late 2024, today introduced two more members of its professional staff -  Suzie Fritz and Matt Fuerbringer – who are joining as LOVB Pro head coaches. As individuals who have coached at the highest levels of the sport, Fritz and Fuerbringer continue to strengthen the professional staff at LOVB, which includes previously announced coaches Massimo Barbolini and Tama Miyashiro.

“Both Suzie and Matt are real students of the game, and their volleyball IQ is exceptional, so we are excited to welcome them to our team,” said Tom Hogan, director of sport for LOVB Pro. “Individually, they have made a tremendous impact on our sport and in particular, on the trajectory and development of the athletes who have played on their teams, so we can’t wait to see the impact they will have at LOVB.”
An NCAA veteran with a storied career, Suzie was most recently the associate head coach at Arkansas after 25 years as head coach of Kansas State. In her nearly 30 years as a volleyball coach, she led nationally-ranked teams to 18 NCAA tournament appearances, with her players including 18 All-America selections, 29 All-Region selections, and 60 All SEC/Big 12 selections. Over the past decade, she also coached three AVCA Midwest Freshman of the Year and two Big 12 Freshman of the Year recipients. She also served as a coach for the USA Women’s Collegiate program, appointed to a coaching role with the USA A2 team in 2006, again in 2009 as a head coach, and in 2023 she also served as a talent evaluator for the USA Women’s Open Tryout. In 2013, Suzie’s team represented the United States at the World University Games in Kazan, Russia.

A champion coach and player, Matt has found success at both the junior and professional levels. He has done two stints as an assistant coach for the U.S. Men’s National team, where he has helped coach the team to a series of championship results including a gold medal at the 2023 NORCECA zone championships, 2015 FIVB World Cup and 2014 FIVB World League; a silver medal at the 2023 and 2022 Volleyball Nations League Championships; a bronze medal at the 2016 Olympic Games, and most recently, winning their Olympic qualifier to compete in the 2024 Paris Olympics. He also was associate head coach for the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team for five years and is director of Team Rockstar volleyball club. A 4x All-American, Matt’s final block sealed the first NCAA men’s volleyball title for Stanford, and as a beach player, won the Manhattan Beach Open.

Volleyball is the fastest growing sport in the United States, and LOVB is working to make volleyball the next American major sports league, built on a level of play that is only possible when elite players come together with world-class coaches. Team assignments for coaches will be announced later this year.