Author Topic: competitive little kid sports  (Read 38662 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: competitive little kid sports
« Reply #350 on: April 27, 2022, 05:02:46 PM »
Btw, turf extends the life of a baseball by like x 1,000,000. Dry-ass dirt infields will chew up any leather ball in a few practices. About the only balls that can withstand the pounding of a shitty infield are the synthetic Diamond DBX balls, which are basically indestructible.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 27, 2022, 05:05:51 PM »
Tons of people spit seeds into a plastic bottle like it’s Copenhagen at our facilities.

Do you have turf?
Sorry, INDOOR facilities. So yes, obviously.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
competitive little kid sports
« Reply #352 on: April 27, 2022, 05:07:13 PM »
Btw, turf extends the life of a baseball by like x 1,000,000. Dry-ass dirt infields will chew up any leather ball in a few practices. About the only balls that can withstand the pounding of a shitty infield are the synthetic Diamond DBX balls, which are basically indestructible.
I have 2 - 5 gal buckets of Rawlings crap balls that cannot be harmed by any weather event and also are incredibly shiny. We use them for all outdoor practices because leather baseballs are expensive AF.

These:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 05:12:34 PM by steve dave »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 27, 2022, 05:09:17 PM »
Also my retirement dream is to invest in a massive old warehouse and convert it to indoor baseball/football training and either run a club that trains out of it or lease it to one and just do baseball stuff all winter and smoke batting machine balls whenever I want.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 27, 2022, 05:13:50 PM »
Also my retirement dream is to invest in a massive old warehouse and convert it to indoor baseball/football training and either run a club that trains out of it or lease it to one and just do baseball stuff all winter and smoke batting machine balls whenever I want.
Most of the people around here that do this are like former major leaguers so I’ve got to find a different angle though…. :-(

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 27, 2022, 05:45:18 PM »
Most of the people around here that do this are like former major leaguers so I’ve got to find a different angle though…. :-(

Reminds me of the old Mac & Seitz facility that was in JoCo growing up...run by former Royals Mike MacFarlane and Kevin Seitzer.

I used to go there and smoke some balls from the batting cage...They had "Slow" "Medium" "Fast"(which was like maybe 85mph or something).

Nothing like getting dared by your 12 year old bros to step into the "Fast" cage and being scared shitless.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 27, 2022, 05:48:07 PM »

Naw you can do it for sure, just hire an instructor to run crap.  Gotta be a billion of them hanging around Omaha.   There are tons of those places around KC.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 27, 2022, 05:54:26 PM »

Same.

Does your team have many scheduled practices? I ask because a dad on our team sends his younger son to Wichita for baseball. His kids go to catholic schools there. Anyway, they only have like 1 scheduled practice a week, but there is always someone at their facility available to work with and kid who comes in. Most of the team goes in 4-5 times a week in addition to “practice.”

Theory is that when it’s something they “can” do rather than something they “must” do they will want to and it will be fun and not like work.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 27, 2022, 07:17:05 PM »
We have 3 practices a week off season and 1 practice and one team hitting in season if we aren’t over scheduled.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 27, 2022, 11:07:05 PM »

Yeah, literally all of the batting cages here are indoor cages at these facilities, it's annoying as eff for an old man who just wants to go rip some line drives on a Tuesday afternoon.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: April 28, 2022, 05:16:03 PM »
I know why they go to turf, but i hate it for baseball. Baseball should be on dirt and grass. Also- turf is crazy hot in summer.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 28, 2022, 07:24:19 PM »
I know why they go to turf, but i hate it for baseball. Baseball should be on dirt and grass. Also- turf is crazy hot in summer.

The Word

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 28, 2022, 07:52:09 PM »
Nothing quite like sliding into second, ripping your pants on the kitty litter field with a fat raspberry on your hammy and ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 28, 2022, 08:41:13 PM »
Nothing quite like sliding into second, ripping your pants on the kitty litter field with a fat raspberry on your hammy and ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And there is the problem w most natural grass/dirt youth fields. They’re rarely worked and watered down the way they should be.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 28, 2022, 09:45:51 PM »

Yeah, literally all of the batting cages here are indoor cages at these facilities, it's annoying as eff for an old man who just wants to go rip some line drives on a Tuesday afternoon.

My folks have so many massive shops/buildings/whatever you want to call them. Parked combines, tractor trailers, all kinds of bullshit in them and some just sat empty for a good part of the spring/summer. Full lighting, concrete floors, reasonably insulated from the weather. Like could set up a full court basketball court or dozens of batting cages and crap. Dad obviously never let me do it growing up. One of my primary motivations to buying a place a bit outside of town is to have this option and put batting cages in it and basketball hoops and heaters and all kinds of fun crap. my window for being able to A) afford this B) get anything out of it having kids still living with me, is very short (like the next 10 years only). I don't think it will happen and I'm sad about it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 28, 2022, 09:50:21 PM »
Also I've been shopping for used jr. hack attacks. saw one go for like $1,200 the other day. like wtf am I going to do with this thing if I win this bid, lmao.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 28, 2022, 09:57:04 PM »

oh, also the best deal going is the batting cage/pitching lane membership through our club. We have two massive warehouses with tons of lanes and cages. One of them has 4 or 5 pitching machine cages and I get up to 30 minutes a day free at any cage or lane with my membership ($6.25 every 15 minutes after that). Cages and lanes are all the same price so pitching machines are in that. We reserve them online up to a week in advance. They give you a giant bucket of balls when you check in if you don't have them and the golf ball pitching machine balls if you want to smoke those instead of baseballs. I can't remember what I pay for it but it's basically nothing. Like $150 for 6 months. So our team obviously all have it and we just each rent out 30 minute blocks in tons of the lanes/cages and do team hitting or team pitching twice a week off season and once in season. Also they have indoor quads that we rent for $80 for an hour. The good news is that it's some rando HS kid working the entire massive complex and we just show up and squat on a quad every saturday morning that we don't have a game. So we get it free. Sometimes we'll have the entire place to ourself and could play an indoor game in there when we pull the nets back. Our HC is on the "board" of the club so he gets the wink/nod when we show up if they aren't booked.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 28, 2022, 11:08:46 PM »
Damn SD, check out Big Youth Sports Lobby over here

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 29, 2022, 10:15:46 PM »

My folks have so many massive shops/buildings/whatever you want to call them. Parked combines, tractor trailers, all kinds of bullshit in them and some just sat empty for a good part of the spring/summer. Full lighting, concrete floors, reasonably insulated from the weather. Like could set up a full court basketball court or dozens of batting cages and crap. Dad obviously never let me do it growing up. One of my primary motivations to buying a place a bit outside of town is to have this option and put batting cages in it and basketball hoops and heaters and all kinds of fun crap. my window for being able to A) afford this B) get anything out of it having kids still living with me, is very short (like the next 10 years only). I don't think it will happen and I'm sad about it.

Someone in my highschool's dad built a gym in an old building. It didn't have hardwood floors (had that rubbery stuff you see in elementary and middle schools), but it still ruled.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 29, 2022, 10:50:13 PM »
 What's an indoor quad?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 30, 2022, 07:15:35 AM »
What's an indoor quad?
Just a big indoor astroturf space. If it’s big enough you can break it up into quads for 4 teams to practice at once. If the place is massive you can have games and tournaments inside.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 01, 2022, 11:56:07 AM »
i have a pet peeve of social media accounts of "child prodigies" when they're merely above average at their sport.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 04, 2022, 05:16:29 PM »
WE PLAYED A TEAM THE OTHER DAY IN 9U WITH A KID WITH A SLIDING GLOVE!

I've done probably 40 KSHAA games this year and seen maybe 2 or 3 kids use a sliding glove. Its pretty pointless IMO
Folks (from yesterday)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 04, 2022, 06:22:30 PM »
Goddamn the face mask is really a thing now
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire