Author Topic: Game of Thrones SHOW thread for people who are confused by the book thread  (Read 367717 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I would think multiple stab wounds to the gut should be 100% lethal in this time period.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
I would think multiple stab wounds to the gut should be 100% lethal in this time period.

This show is set in another realm, not another time period.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile

This show is set in another realm, not another time period.

Myth busted
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Episode 8: No One
Summary: “Tyrion finds cause for concern. Cersei prepares for the worst. Sansa takes control. Arya is not alone.”

- I guess from that we can surmise Arya survives at least a little while longer.  If not, it's a lot of wasted screen time for a character they are just going to kill off after not doing anything of note with her.

Episode 9: Battle of the Bastards
Episode summary: “Ramsay surprises his audience. Jon retaliates. Dany is true to her word.”

Episode 10: The Winds of Winter
Episode summary: “A queen comes forth. Euron reveals himself. Brienne meets a friend turned foe. King’s Landing awaits justice. The Night’s Watch gathers."

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
We haven't lost a main character in two weeks so I'd say we're due next week.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
If Arya dies I am going to be so upset.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Does she find syrio in braavos now? I can't think of anyone there to help her

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Oh, the theater troupe, obviously

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Short of some sort of magic, she's going to die of internal bleeding. Like the Hound said when he and Arya came upon the gut-stabbed man: "that's not going to get better."
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Maybe Arya is the waif and she's just having some sort of Fight Club mental breakdown. The waif killed Arya and now she's no one.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
This isn't lost

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Jaqar told Waif to not let Arya suffer, but Waif stabbed her in the gut and twisted the blade. I wonder if this might have been Jaqar testing Waif? Might be significant.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile

being stabbed to death all over isn't 100% lethal in this time period, as long as someone mumbles the right words, so there's no real reason to think multiple stab wounds to the gut and a quick dip in a filthy urban canal would be that dangerous.

surprising that living again isn't more widespread, but i guess there isn't much demand.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
that frey dude sure is a cunning old bastard

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
The freys are pig aggie

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
dating thread got me thinking... pretty impressive precision shaving technology the ladies had in that era

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
i don't think she is going to make that early morning ship appointment she set. Good thing she snaked that silver back.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
People thought that was a good episode? They all seem like crap without book content supporting it. Maybe it was always this shitty and I liked it more because I'd read the books.

I mean, being stabbed to death is basically meaningless, and we got another reference to Jon dying. (at least it was davos that mentioned it instead of Jon whining about it.)

And of course Arya isn't dead. I like, don't care if anyone gets stabbed or gets their head chopped off even more. I have expected Ian McShane to wake up and dance a jig on the rope.

:flush: :flush:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Guys, I'm pretty sure Arya was just playing dumb to lure the Waif into a trap. Because Arya had seen that old lady face before in the Hall of Faces (or whatever that big room full of faces is called).

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
I'm sure there is a reasonable  (by GOT standards) explanation for how Arya is alive. Like maybe she warged into a fish in the canal or something.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Lol

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Latest theory is arya was jaqar with aryas face, fulfilling when arya named him as her third death.

I could see this happening, but seems like a stretch

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Didn't Arya get multiple third deaths?  Jaqen killed all of the guards so she could escape harrenhall

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Maybe it was always this shitty and I liked it more because I'd read the books.

that's an interesting conceit, but i don't think it explains everything.  the books are generally well written, rich in detail, good pace, good development, etc.  but the truly unique thing he did was devote an enormous amount of time developing characters that he killed off (and maimed) early in the books.  this felt shocking to readers since basically no one does this.  it gives the impression that any character is at risk (that isn't sustainable in later books, because the important characters aren't really at risk, martin just encouraged readers to misidentify who the important characters were at first, but as you get later and later in the story, the readers will eventually focus on the "right" characters).  the earlier seasons of the show followed this formula, and at least to nonreaders, it had the same effect.

the later seasons (and possibly forthcoming books) have crap all over this.  they now follow the formulaic tv/movie standard where important characters face seemingly impossible risks and somehow miraculously emerge unscathed.  minor characters are introduced for the sole purpose of having them killed to reveal the emotional complexity of the important characters (hello tedious group of religious zealots the hound befriended and then couldn't hear being massacred while he chopped wood for countless hours a few hundred meters uphill).  characters make stupid or out-of-character decisions whenever convenient to the plot.  logical inconsistencies abound.

i'm still attached to both the characters and the plot, so i keep watching.  but i can recognize that the show i'm now watching is horribly written drivel.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
In the past 10 episodes of so, the show has killed off Stannis, his wife and daughter, Barristan Selmy, Doran Martell, Myrcella, Roose Bolton and his wife and child, Alliser Thorne, Hodor, Osha, and two direwolves, all of whom are still alive in the books. I consider several of these to be important characters - particularly Stannis. So your complaint about the show not killing enough characters just doesn't wash.

I'm fine that none of the principal "good guys" have been offed recently. That worked well early in the books for the reason you described - GRRM's misdirection as to whom were the important characters. But that model isn't sustainable now that we're approaching the final act. The final act will sort out the remainder of the main characters - we're just building to it.

I expect the remaining books will follow suit. You really think GRRM is not resurrecting Jon Snow? Please. Moreover, much of what we're seeing this season seems to be a logical extension of where the books are headed. It makes sense that Jon is marching on Winterfell. It makes sense that Ramsay has murdered his family and seized control.

This show has made mistakes. The biggest was the deviation they took with Jamie's character, reconciling him with Cersei. Thankfully he's now back in the Riverlands where he belongs. But it's still the best show on TV. It's going to bring home 20+ Emmys this year. And it has made a number of significant improvements over the books by tightening certain storylines. For example, Sansa and Littlefinger in the Vale.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 01:51:23 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »