Author Topic: ReCATery (aka Sober Cats,800BETSOFF Cats,Like Chocoholics but for BoozeCats,etc)  (Read 8776 times)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
I'm certainly glad you did not do that.
I greatly value you saying that.

Great work Pete. I'm happy you are here and are my internet pal. I tell my wife all the time that you never know what type of crap is going on in other people's heads. I'm glad you were able to fight off the demons and hopefully you speaking about it helps someone else. Go Cats  :emawkid:

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
congratulations Pete, that is super awesome

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Thanks dudes.

Also, I know for a rough ridin' fact that if I took a drink I’d be back to passing out in my recliner every night and hating existence within 2 weeks, tops.  Zero doubt about that.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
i think i need to take a break and consider giving up alcohol for the rest of my life. that's incredibly hard to say. my problem isn't how often i drink, it's that once i start there's no stopping me until i black out. it's been this way for damn near 20 years now. it's the same vicious cycle of getting too drunk, feeling like crap about it, and then completely forgetting it happened two weeks later. it is affecting my marriage. i feel so awkward typing this out but i spend every day on this #blog so it felt like the right place to put it.

Pete motivated me to provide an update here. I never said thank you to those that voiced their support in this thread - but I do very much appreciate those that reached out. Since this post - I did not give up alcohol, but continued to address my issues with lacking control in certain situations. I'm still fully capable of going out and getting blasted, but it just doesn't happen like it used to - partly because of getting older and having different priorities, but also just because of finally getting to the point of admitting that I have a problem with overconsumption and being open about it. I'm at a good spot with my wife on this too, she's my ultimate partner on this. Constant communication about struggles, triggers, etc. She has been a huge help. It will never be something I can say I've "solved," but at this moment in time I feel good about it.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Thanks for sharing, and very happy for you that your life is better for it.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Congratulations on your sobriety and peace of mind Pete.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
great updates guys, thanks for sharing.  your stories impact others.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
you guys are badasses

Online Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
A couple of months ago my buddy’s wife left him and took the kids 1200 miles away because of his drinking. He recently stayed the weekend with me and would begin drinking vodka as soon as he woke up.  My first inclination was to mock him and that had no effect, obviously.  The next day I tired discussing what I could do to help to get his life in order and he insisted he had it under control. Is there anything I can do to help if he doesn’t want it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard to believe this post was from over a year ago.  To update, my buddy lost his job 3 months ago. But, thankfully, he checked into rehab this week. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
A couple of months ago my buddy’s wife left him and took the kids 1200 miles away because of his drinking. He recently stayed the weekend with me and would begin drinking vodka as soon as he woke up.  My first inclination was to mock him and that had no effect, obviously.  The next day I tired discussing what I could do to help to get his life in order and he insisted he had it under control. Is there anything I can do to help if he doesn’t want it?

It's hard to believe this post was from over a year ago.  To update, my buddy lost his job 3 months ago. But, thankfully, he checked into rehab this week.

That's great to hear.  Everyone has their own "bottom," and its rough ridin' heartbreaking watching them try and find it.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I took lexapro for about 9 years and it helped A TON but I had a breakdown in July/august

I started taking this 3 months ago after years of “encouragement” from my wife to try something.

I just have to say holy crap is this better. I should have done this a long time ago. If you’re on the fence like I was, at least go have a conversation with a doctor about it.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls