Author Topic: Farewell Fatty  (Read 77870 times)

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
Re: Farewell Fatty
« Reply #175 on: March 04, 2012, 03:45:46 PM »
his bbsing skills were so far ahead of the rest of us that he's almost like some artist that was so far ahead of his contemporaries and doing things in such a different way that his work wasn't fully appreciated until years later when society had caught up and was able to appreciate it. he was that good.

He set the standard for rebel board humor, and I haven't seen anyone do it as well as him in his prime.   I can't imagine what it was like for him to be coming up with that stuff at such a young age when very few appreciated it. Very well said RD.

I'm upset that I didn't make the effort to watch the game with you guys.  I think this is a wake up call that I need to make time for getting out to share good times with fellow EMAWs.  Please count me in for the next one.

Offline scoops callahan

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 04, 2012, 05:20:34 PM »
RIP Fatty, prayers with you and your family. Wish I would've known you.
#LIFE

Offline SuperG

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 04, 2012, 05:23:58 PM »
When Pete was recruiting me to ksufans.com (and for that matter, bbs'ing), fff was one of his selling points:

"By the way....have you discovered ksufans.com yet?  The messege boards on there are the holy grail of irreverant KSU banter.  Catzacker (:katpakhead:) is a regular.  So is Fatty Fat Fat, the legendary ksu youtuber.  Very good stuff. And Free."

At first I was simply amazed by the sheer volume... but it wasn't long before I started to realize the subtle elegance of his bbs'ing. It was seldom that a fff post would be more than two or three sentences, but it was alway said just enough.

:fatty:

Offline Lynchmobrules

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 04, 2012, 05:44:31 PM »
At first I was simply amazed by the sheer volume... but it wasn't long before I started to realize the subtle elegance of his bbs'ing. It was seldom that a fff post would be more than two or three sentences, but it was alway said just enough.

:fatty:

He was a magician with words. Like you said, his posts weren't long, but he was able to make great points with them. I wish I would have been able to meet him.
"Wednesday if they don't come in and compete, I am going to destroy them." - Frank Martin

Offline ZmoneyKSU

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 04, 2012, 08:02:23 PM »
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this, it's a very new and confusing thing.  I guess I am in shock of how much I miss someone I never met, never spoke to, never saw a picture of, never heard their voice or anything.  It's surreal.  It's like I don't really believe it to be true, like I am still expecting to see a thread from him later this week about the Big 12 tourney or our NCAA seeding. 

Yet despite all that I did feel like I knew him.  Obviously not personally, but I guess I knew a part of him.  I readily admit that I'm a 'poster snob' at times, in that I often play favorites to threads started by posters I like, and Fatty was at the top of the list.  As soon as I saw a thread from Fatty I clicked it.  And like many on here, we learned to recognize a Fatty post.

When I first stumbled onto ksufans.com  5 or 6 years ago, I quickly recognized him as one of, if not the best poster, and certainly my favorite.  I saw how he could dominate a thread, and I remember hoping he'd respond to a post of mine, as it would feel like a stamp of approval.  Seeing a post where Fatty had 'quoted' me was awesome, lol, like I was worthy or something.  It sounds so silly now that I see it typed out, but it was true.
As a K-State fan I believe they'll win a championship one day, some day.  I'm sadden by the fact I know Fatty won't be here to experience it with us.

I know this place will go on, but it's never going to be the same.

For those of you that really knew him, thoughts and prayers, and especially to his family.  #ForeverEMAWFattyRIP

Offline Lynchmobrules

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 04, 2012, 08:14:17 PM »
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this, it's a very new and confusing thing.  I guess I am in shock of how much I miss someone I never met, never spoke to, never saw a picture of, never heard their voice or anything.  It's surreal.  It's like I don't really believe it to be true, like I am still expecting to see a thread from him later this week about the Big 12 tourney or our NCAA seeding. 

Yet despite all that I did feel like I knew him.  Obviously not personally, but I guess I knew a part of him.  I readily admit that I'm a 'poster snob' at times, in that I often play favorites to threads started by posters I like, and Fatty was at the top of the list.  As soon as I saw a thread from Fatty I clicked it.  And like many on here, we learned to recognize a Fatty post.

When I first stumbled onto ksufans.com  5 or 6 years ago, I quickly recognized him as one of, if not the best poster, and certainly my favorite.  I saw how he could dominate a thread, and I remember hoping he'd respond to a post of mine, as it would feel like a stamp of approval.  Seeing a post where Fatty had 'quoted' me was awesome, lol, like I was worthy or something.  It sounds so silly now that I see it typed out, but it was true.
As a K-State fan I believe they'll win a championship one day, some day.  I'm sadden by the fact I know Fatty won't be here to experience it with us.

I know this place will go on, but it's never going to be the same.

For those of you that really knew him, thoughts and prayers, and especially to his family.  #ForeverEMAWFattyRIP

This is exactly how I am feeling. My feelings can't be put to words any better than this.
"Wednesday if they don't come in and compete, I am going to destroy them." - Frank Martin

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 04, 2012, 08:21:45 PM »
I never met Fatty, but I thought the guy was brilliant. Most amazing was the respect that all of the other great bbs'ers gave him. It was kind of like even though they knew they were good, they knew he was better.

Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. No one will have the words to make something like this easier for you, but everyone wishes they could come up with them.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 04, 2012, 08:34:30 PM »
I was out of town all weekend but received several texts/calls informing me of this bad news. I haven't had a laptop so I was left to think about my memories of Fatty. Here are just a few of the great interactions I have had with him.

When I first got on the message boards, I asked WAKS who this Fatty guy was. He told me that his name was Sean/Shawn and that he went to school with me. For the life of me I could not think of a Sean who had as much EMAW as this poster. However, after just a couple posts I got my first PM, “Hey, this is Schwan…from the tennis team.” (Like I knew any other Schwans).

When we finally broke the streak at Bramlage, Fatty traded me his ICAT ticket for one of my family’s seats because he was “done” waiting in line for good seats. He watched us beat KU with WAKS and my mother. I am pretty sure that his rabid support of our team and mockery of surrounding KU fans traumatized my poor mother. I told Fatty that and I could see the pride in his face.

I have several stories about meeting Fatty at sporting events and such, but my favorite interactions were seeing him around town. To me Fatty was the quintessential stop and chatter. He would always stop me and ask what I thought our conference record would be or talk about all things EMAW. What I loved most about these meetings was feeling like a big shot when I would run into him when I was with someone who lurked or posted here and I could say “Oh hey this is Fatty.  :gocho:

The world lost a lot of EMAW this weekend. Schwan, you will be missed.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 04, 2012, 08:36:58 PM »
However, after just a couple posts I got my first PM, “Hey, this is Schwan…from the tennis team.” (Like I knew any other Schwans).
Ha, that's great.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 04, 2012, 09:11:18 PM »
A true hero. He made my life better without ever knowing me. Thank you, fff. I love you.

Offline icatmember

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 05, 2012, 01:04:29 PM »
I remember running into him at Hale once towards the end of Wooly's final season, and complaining about Wooly and talking about replacements. He kept talking about Huggins which was cometely crazy to me. I kept telling him no way were we gonna get him.
 Next time I saw him was a couple months later and a few days after we hired Huggins, there was a crazy rain storm and I cut through the engineering building to avoid the rain. I heard someone say "hey" from behind me, turned around saw Shwan, and then we both immediately started cheering loudly. After we both stopped he proceeded to tell me all about GRCOAT, which was completely new to me. That was probably the most excited I've ever been about kstate basketball. Shwan was the best at making you excited about kstate.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 02:53:24 PM by icatmember »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 05, 2012, 01:08:20 PM »
:thumbs:

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 05, 2012, 01:47:11 PM »
I saw the news Saturday on Twitter during the game, but didn't (want) believe it.  Popped in on chat, had it confirmed, and just sat, stunned, at my keyboard.  Nothing I could think of made sense to type.  Nothing really does still.

Add me to the list of "never met him in real life" folks.  I PM'd with him a couple of times, and did manage to get one of his multi-audio track DVDs, and loved the hell out of the thing.  I wish I could have gotten more of those. 

He always seemed aware of how ridiculous all of this stuff is; caring about these games, talking about them, message boarding about them; but he also knew that it didn't matter how ridiculous this stuff was, it was still important.  So many of his posts were like that, ridiculous, and yet earnest at the same time.  That's a hard thing to pull off.  But he always did.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 05, 2012, 01:50:40 PM »
JMART :thumbsup:

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 05, 2012, 02:04:49 PM »
I didn't know him nearly as well as a lot of the elites on here, but the fact that I got to spend my first EMAW game with him is very special to me. I wish I could've seen more with him. It seems a little weird at first to be so upset over the death of someone that I'd only hung out with a few times, but the more I think about it the more it makes sense.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 02:08:35 PM by 42 »

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 05, 2012, 02:14:46 PM »
Who cares if you didn't know him?  If you want to feel sad about it, feel sad.  He was obviously an amazing person.  It's hard to find people in the world like that.  It's okay to feel sad that the world lost one of the few, really GREAT people left.  Hopefully seeing the results of his actions will inspire more people to live their lives like his.  I'm jealous I never met him in person, but I feel proud to have had the interactions with him that I did.

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 05, 2012, 02:35:15 PM »
GBBSOAT

RIP

:bball: :combofan: :lynchmob: :ksu:

Offline h8ku

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 05, 2012, 03:22:12 PM »
Count me in as another lurker who seldom posts. I had an unusually busy weekend and didn't get my usual goEMAW fix. I dropped by and read the comments after hearing this on KFH this morning. Thank you, MIR, for taking the time to call Sports Daily today and deliver the sad news and well done tribute. Upon hearing this I'm not surprised to see I'm not alone in how I feel. In the off-season before football, I'd play Fatty's videos to get geeked up for the season (for some reason, analysis of 2 star recruits and the action packed spring games wasn't enough for me). As has already been stated, his posts were enjoyable. No doubt, his contributions made football and basketball season more entertaining for me, win or lose. It's inspirational to hear how he impacted so many lives in several different ways. I am sad for his family, and for those of you who were lucky enough to know him on a personal basis.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 05, 2012, 03:28:39 PM »
there has never been a better kstater.  as kstaters, as townies, as kansans and as people, we are less than we were.

deserves a requote

Offline breed-007

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 05, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
Hearing of Fatty passing has made me miss trolling.  It's been years.  ...maybe it's time to go get GPC.com all riled up again.   :gocho:

I think it's what he would have wanted. 

Offline abdoolski

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 06, 2012, 02:34:57 PM »
I had the opposite relationship with Shwan aka F3.  I met him in middle school when our parents would get together.  I heard the news from am mutual friend, searched for more info on the internet and saw this thread.  I had NO idea the impact he had on so many people.  I appreciate reading your comments.  Thank you!

Also, it is probably known to you all but is there any way we could raise more awareness to the www.goEMAW.com/fatty.html link?  Hope to be there for the first home game in September to honor our legendary friend. R.I.P Fatty.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:42:03 PM by abdoolski »

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 06, 2012, 02:49:26 PM »
F3's impact was so broad.  I'm on a fairly active car forum and I got a PM about it.

Quote from: Gravy Train

#593384 - 43 minutes 25 seconds ago RIP fatty4ksu
Gravy Train   
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Plano, Texas   
Damn I'm gonna miss that guy... you and he are among the only EMAW guys I interacted with on sports forums and he kinda made me feel less   over being owned by KSU.

Sad that he passed so soon, isn't he a few years younger than you?

Dude is a big time Texas fan, great sports fan in general too.  The reach of Fatty.....man oh man could that guy BBS.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 06, 2012, 02:52:23 PM »
I had the opposite relationship with Shwan aka F3.  I met him in middle school when our parents would get together.  I heard the news from am mutual friend, searched for more info on the internet and saw this thread.  I had NO idea the impact he had on so many people.  I appreciate reading your comments.  Thank you!

Also, it is probably known to you all but is there any way we could raise more awareness to the www.goEMAW.com/fatty.html link?  Hope to be there for the first home game in September to honor our legendary friend. R.I.P Fatty.

:thumbs:

Yeah, we'll take whatever anyone has to offer to raise awareness.  We have some things in the works for sure.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #198 on: March 06, 2012, 03:21:35 PM »
i got thinking about the internet today, and it occurred to me just how often we take for granted its power and influence and reach. i mean, think about it: a guy named shwan alkhatib, who goes by the moniker "Fatty," has been on the minds of hundreds of thousands of people - not just in manhattan, where he was enormously popular and well liked, but also in lawrence and austin and college station and columbia (and palo alto?), where he was almost unanimously hated.

well, i shouldn't say hated. i've read through a few threads on a few boards, and the comments are overwhelmingly nice. it's apparent that Fatty commanded a certain respect from everyone who interacted with him (even his most vocal critics.)

i attended a church event on saturday, the same day that Fatty was found dead, and tim tebow was the speaker. tebow spoke about his football career, of course, and he even demonstrated "tebowing." but he spent much of his time talking about how blessed he is to have his current platform, which allows him to do so many of the things that he's always wanted to do.

i did not know this, but tebow's favorite thing to do - the thing that gives him the most satisfaction - is speaking to death-row inmates. he said he speaks to them quite often and had planned to visit with a few of them during his stay in las vegas.

"i can't even explain the feeling i get," tebow said. "it's incredibly satisfying to bring peace and joy and comfort to people who are otherwise lost or hopeless or depressed or frustrated."

when he said that, i began to think about the internet, and Fatty in particular.

a guy named shwan alkhatib has had, what, 25,000 message board posts? fifty-thousand? one-hundred thousand? and these message board posts have been read by five or 10 million people? twenty-five million people?

a guy named shwan alkhatib has posted, what, 25 youtube videos? fifty? one-hundred? and these videos have been watched by millions? commented on by thousands?

a guy named shwan alkhatib has been one of, what, a half-million k-state graduates? a million graduates? and his influence was so strong, so profound, that people are talking realistically about the possibility of 'FFF' being placed on a football uniform or helmet?

it goes to show you that you don't have to be tim tebow to have a positive effect on peoples' lives and to bring joy to others. yes, it's easier when you have fame and money and a built-in platform, but it certainly isn't necessary.

the internet is in and of itself a platform - and fatty utilized it, took advantage of it, and left a pretty incredible legacy.

kind of neat, no?

:ksu:

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 06, 2012, 07:04:37 PM »
My take away from that is that fatty was at least as skilled at what he did, as a Heisman Trophy winner is at football. 

Like the man says at the end of Ratatouille, not everyone can message board, but a great message boarder can come from anywhere.