Author Topic: Let them Eat Cake!!  (Read 6449 times)

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
Re: Let them Eat Cake!!
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 12:30:02 PM »
Michelle O' Public School Lunch (that's gotta be a falsehood, somebody ate the other part??):

Sidwell Private School Lunch for 10/6

Snack: Cream Cheese & Graham Crackers

Classic Caesar Salad
Cheese Tortellini
Garden Fresh Marinara
Pesto Cream Sauce
Steamed Bright Broccoli
Red Grapes

Color me confused but the menu sounds awesome; the photo looks like some one didn't take all that was offered and picked up a twinkie instead?

The menu was from a private school.

Thank you for clarification, however, what is Michelle O. PS lunch menu that day? I can't imagine it was "side salad, twinkie and milk".  As a child I recall choosing what I bought for school lunch.  If it was healthy or not was kind of on me.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 12:35:54 PM »
Under what authority is our (obese) first lady involved in any school lunch? This is rediculous, more so than the typical libtards dismissing everything away.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 01:01:22 PM »
So, not speaking directly to lunch, but to the food per day in a pub school:

My kids are both in elementary.  The school serves every single kid breakfast.  The kids are supposed to choose the day before whether they will take breakfast or not, but even if the kid says no, they still serve them breakfast.  The kids all are told that if you don't eat it, to save it for mid day snacks.  The breakfast is something that won't go bad sitting in the open air for a few hours about 75% of the time, so it works for snacks.  Then, the school always has three choices of lunch.  Two warm and one cold with the cold usually being a chef's salad. The warm choices are very similar to the stuff they served when I was a kid but has been revamped ingredients wise for the new calorie requirements.  For example, the rolls used to be buttery and delish.  Now they are just reg rolls.  The pizza used to be super greasy, now it's a different brand and isn't greasy.  Also, the school has a rule that any kid can add as many extra veggies as they want to the normal lunch.

I have eaten with my kids at school numerous times and it is fine. 

I get districts are all different, but the difference would have to be night and day for this to really be a thing.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 01:11:06 PM »
Michelle O' Public School Lunch (that's gotta be a falsehood, somebody ate the other part??):

Classic Caesar Salad
Cheese Tortellini
Garden Fresh Marinara
Pesto Cream Sauce
Steamed Bright Broccoli
Red Grapes

Color me confused but the menu sounds awesome; the photo looks like some one didn't take all that was offered and picked up a twinkie instead?

Thank you for clarification, however, what is Michelle O. PS lunch menu that day? I can't imagine it was "side salad, twinkie and milk".  As a child I recall choosing what I bought for school lunch.  If it was healthy or not was kind of on me.

The only choice I had as a child was rather to eat what was on my tray or not.

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 01:13:01 PM »

My kids are both in elementary.  The school serves every single kid breakfast.  The kids are supposed to choose the day before whether they will take breakfast or not, but even if the kid says no, they still serve them breakfast.  The kids all are told that if you don't eat it, to save it for mid day snacks.  The breakfast is something that won't go bad sitting in the open air for a few hours about 75% of the time, so it works for snacks.  Then, the school always has three choices of lunch.  Two warm and one cold with the cold usually being a chef's salad. The warm choices are very similar to the stuff they served when I was a kid but has been revamped ingredients wise for the new calorie requirements.  For example, the rolls used to be buttery and delish.  Now they are just reg rolls.  The pizza used to be super greasy, now it's a different brand and isn't greasy.  Also, the school has a rule that any kid can add as many extra veggies as they want to the normal lunch.

I get districts are all different, but the difference would have to be night and day for this to really be a thing.

Three kids in public school. Their lunch goes like this: You get one choice of meal, same as when I was there, but much smaller portions. You used to be able to go back through the line if you finished everything and get leftovers from the day before, but that's been gone for a few years now. The older two have a ala cart option, which is typically 75 cents for a cookie, or granola bar.

And if your class is the last to eat, and they run out of food (which happens more often than you would think) sorry, you're out of luck. That would happen to my oldest at the high school about two times a week last year. Now my youngest is in the last class to eat. I haven't heard about them running out of food, but they do have about 5 minutes to eat lunch.

We've started sending lunches a few times a week, working out better so far.

Also, my oldest was told she was not allowed to complain about her lunch. Even when her chicken sandwich was still raw. Her option was eat the raw chicken, or go without. There wasn't enough extra to get a different one.

I love my school district though, even if lunches seem to be going down hill quickly. 

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2014, 01:13:23 PM »

Classic Caesar Salad
Cheese Tortellini
Garden Fresh Marinara
Pesto Cream Sauce
Steamed Bright Broccoli
Red Grapes

That sounds whether awful...

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2014, 01:14:28 PM »

Classic Caesar Salad
Cheese Tortellini
Garden Fresh Marinara
Pesto Cream Sauce
Steamed Bright Broccoli
Red Grapes

lol, that's what happens when you edit and then don't proofread.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2014, 01:16:27 PM »

Three kids in public school. Their lunch goes like this: You get one choice of meal, same as when I was there, but much smaller portions. You used to be able to go back through the line if you finished everything and get leftovers from the day before, but that's been gone for a few years now. The older two have a ala cart option, which is typically 75 cents for a cookie, or granola bar.

And if your class is the last to eat, and they run out of food (which happens more often than you would think) sorry, you're out of luck. That would happen to my oldest at the high school about two times a week last year. Now my youngest is in the last class to eat. I haven't heard about them running out of food, but they do have about 5 minutes to eat lunch.

We've started sending lunches a few times a week, working out better so far.

Also, my oldest was told she was not allowed to complain about her lunch. Even when her chicken sandwich was still raw. Her option was eat the raw chicken, or go without. There wasn't enough extra to get a different one.

I love my school district though, even if lunches seem to be going down hill quickly.

It sounds like your school needs a new lunch lady.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2014, 01:22:50 PM »
The raw chicken thing is unbelievable.  I am not calling you a liar, but I know a bunch of teachers and not one would tell a child to eat raw chicken. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2014, 01:42:18 PM »
fun cow pro-tip from resident cow expert steve dave: there is a cow food called "cake". I don't know if it's actually called that or just cowboys call it that but it doesn't look like cake at all. more like jumbo sized hamster food.

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2014, 02:36:15 PM »

Classic Caesar Salad
Cheese Tortellini
Garden Fresh Marinara
Pesto Cream Sauce
Steamed Bright Broccoli
Red Grapes

lol, that's what happens when you edit and then don't proofread.

Again, I'm 100% sure that the lunch menu that day for the photo above did NOT read "side salad, twinkie, milk"
Is there any information out there as to what the menu read for the referenced photo?
If I had to guess, and its purely a guess, that lunch was a for a high school girl-too bad it wasn't instagramed.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2014, 08:59:23 PM »
In no way could that lunch tray ever have been altered before the photo to make it look more scant than it actually was for the purposes of proving some weird point.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline brandochav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2014, 09:04:05 PM »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2014, 03:55:18 PM »
A new study (pdf) carried out by researchers at Virginia Tech concluded that preschoolers and kindergartners tend to eat healthier lunches when the food is chosen by their school, not their parents. The study, which surveyed more than 1,300 lunches at three schools in Virginia, found that parents frequently pack things like chips, sweets, and sugary drinks—all of which are not allowed under the National School Lunch Program. “I wasn’t expecting there to be such a strong difference between school meals and lunches packed by parents,” said Alisha Farris, one of the study’s authors. “We thought that parents would send lunches that reinforced the sort of healthy habits we hope they are trying to establish at home.”

Parents, it turns out, appear to do just the opposite. More than 60 percent of meals packed at home had one dessert (nearly 20 percent had two or more); just under 60 percent had savory snacks, like chips; and roughly 40 percent had a soda or sugar-added juice. School meals, meanwhile, were more likely to contain fruits, vegetables, naturally sweetened juices, and milk.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2014, 04:15:16 PM »
A new study (pdf) carried out by researchers at Virginia Tech concluded that preschoolers and kindergartners tend to eat healthier lunches when the food is chosen by their school, not their parents. The study, which surveyed more than 1,300 lunches at three schools in Virginia, found that parents frequently pack things like chips, sweets, and sugary drinks—all of which are not allowed under the National School Lunch Program. “I wasn’t expecting there to be such a strong difference between school meals and lunches packed by parents,” said Alisha Farris, one of the study’s authors. “We thought that parents would send lunches that reinforced the sort of healthy habits we hope they are trying to establish at home.”

Parents, it turns out, appear to do just the opposite. More than 60 percent of meals packed at home had one dessert (nearly 20 percent had two or more); just under 60 percent had savory snacks, like chips; and roughly 40 percent had a soda or sugar-added juice. School meals, meanwhile, were more likely to contain fruits, vegetables, naturally sweetened juices, and milk.

Maybe we should limit what kind of food people can buy with SNAP cards.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2014, 04:34:38 PM »
We had a thread on that where, predictably, I was called a racist for pointing that out. Anyway, the junk food lobby will never allow it.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2014, 05:26:30 PM »
That study didn't mention snap once. Of course if you're on snap, wouldn't you be on free lunch too?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2014, 08:54:17 PM »

Fun pro-tip from Louisiana expert SkinBen: a "Louisiana breakfast" is just a gigantic bag of Andy Capp's hot fries. Unbelievably common.

"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2014, 09:08:12 AM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2014, 10:29:04 PM »

:ROFL:
I can't figure out if your lack of common sense and restraint is humorous or troubling, probably both.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2014, 10:34:09 PM »

I can't figure out if your lack of common sense and restraint is humorous or troubling, probably both.

Isn't it already limited? ??  If not, why does so much food at the Walmart have an orange "snap eligible sticker on it?

Perhaps it should be further limited to food that doesn't cause so many poor people to be in such terrible health.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2014, 10:38:55 PM »

Isn't it already limited? ??  If not, why does so much food at the Walmart have an orange "snap eligible sticker on it?

Perhaps it should be further limited to food that doesn't cause so many poor people to be in such terrible health.

Dummy, I was referencing him thinking that people that qualify for free lunch actually send their kids to school with lunches. Do you guys have some sort of computer glitch that doesn't allow for thought not fed to you by Sean, Rush, and the ghost of Breitbart?

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2014, 10:39:26 PM »

I can't figure out......

Obviously.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2014, 10:41:19 PM »

Dummy, I was referencing him thinking that people that qualify for free lunch actually send their kids to school with lunches. Do you guys have some sort of computer glitch that doesn't allow for thought not fed to you by Sean, Rush, and the ghost of Breitbart?

Okie dokie, douche bag