Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 337452 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #1425 on: January 23, 2017, 03:50:22 PM »
kat kid, are you the type of person that will consistently re-balance your portfolio without shooting your dick off?

I can split the amount I invest each month to allocate 50/50, but then how often will I need to re-balance based upon market performance?

(hopefully within this response you will have your answer)

vti - fee is .05
vxus - fee is .13

your blended fee should be like. .07-.09 depending on how much you put in intl.  if you want to dribble a little into vnq and/or vpu it might raise your blended fee by like .005 or something.

if you want to go to the bogleheads forum there are thousands of people there just salivating to tell you all their fantastic ideas on how to passively manage your investments.  it might be your style.

Ok, I see what you mean.  I looked the allocations on 2050 and saw what you were thinking.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: January 23, 2017, 04:01:01 PM »
Who wants to have a good LOL with me about a penny stock ben ji's dad recommended back in 2014? Of course with everyone legalizing weed this would be a HUGE opportunity.

Symbol Last Price PriceChange Today's Gain/Loss DollarPercent Total Gain/Loss Dollar  Percent    Current Value      Quantity           Cost Basis Per Share   Total

HEMP        $0.052   +$0.006         +$0.51             +12.52%              -$174.32         -97.41%             $4.63                90.000                $1.99                  $178.95

I threw a couple hundred at it to humor him and now keep it in my portfolio and bring it up every time he recommends another stock.

Just waiting for the next pump!

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: January 23, 2017, 04:03:17 PM »
My 401k plan has a target fund with a 0.76 fee.  I made my own with the Vanguard large, mid, and small cap plus some international and a litte bond.  Average fee is <.07 And I rebalance once in a while.  I used a stock X-ray site to make the blend match fairly close to the target fund.

Not sure I would have done it if only saving 0.1
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 04:10:56 PM by tdaver »

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: January 24, 2017, 05:44:14 PM »
It really is tough to beat the Vanguard funds these days. I found an interesting chart on the interwebz the other day that i'll post if I can find it. In other news, i'm looking at/evaluating some Blackrock funds right now for my portfolio...some look to be pretty good. Anyone on here have any type of stake in Blackrock funds?

The Big Train

« Reply #1429 on: January 24, 2017, 06:54:38 PM »
If everyone had invested in Bitcoin and sold when I said nobody would need anything else

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: January 25, 2017, 09:35:59 PM »
Hey guys, need some advice here. Mrs j-dub got a Roth before we were married. She went through a broker with Commerce bank here in kc. And paid a $575 fee to do so. He set her up with an American Funds Class A shares (ABALX). And he's still profiting from it to my understanding (12b-1 fee)..  Should I switch her over to a target date fund Roth with vanguard? That's what I've got.. I'm fairly new to all this.. TIA.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: January 25, 2017, 10:10:06 PM »
Hey guys, need some advice here. Mrs j-dub got a Roth before we were married. She went through a broker with Commerce bank here in kc. And paid a $575 fee to do so. He set her up with an American Funds Class A shares (ABALX). And he's still profiting from it to my understanding (12b-1 fee)..  Should I switch her over to a target date fund Roth with vanguard? That's what I've got.. I'm fairly new to all this.. TIA.

Yes. The absolute best way to do this is to get all of the information about the account from commerce bank that you can and to then call vanguard and have their rep cancel your account for you and be on the phone as they transfer the assets. It is so great.

There won't be a lot of rough ridin' around because there are two reps on recorded lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: January 25, 2017, 10:27:20 PM »
I feel like charging someone $575 dollars to open a Roth IRA is on the same level as rape.  I'm sure it's probably more common than I realize but that really angers me up.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: January 25, 2017, 10:35:54 PM »
I feel like charging someone $575 dollars to open a Roth IRA is on the same level as rape.  I'm sure it's probably more common than I realize but that really angers me up.

i wish i knew where this guy lived because i'd like to follow him home and charge his wife and kids $575 each to open roths.  i'd prolly hide in the closet and wait so i could see the look on his face when he found out.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: January 25, 2017, 10:37:17 PM »
Vanguard is so lame

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: January 25, 2017, 10:38:18 PM »
btw, jdub, if your wife has a semi-decent dollar number in that account, she can look around and switch to somewhere that has an account opening bonus and recoup some of the money she's been raped out of.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: January 25, 2017, 10:38:44 PM »
Use etrade or fidelity or something

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: January 25, 2017, 10:44:37 PM »
Use etrade or fidelity or something

kim carnes, she was just raped.

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: January 26, 2017, 08:35:47 AM »

Yes. The absolute best way to do this is to get all of the information about the account from commerce bank that you can and to then call vanguard and have their rep cancel your account for you and be on the phone as they transfer the assets. It is so great.

There won't be a lot of rough ridin' around because there are two reps on recorded lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Kat Kid  :Woot:

That sounds fantastic!
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: January 26, 2017, 08:38:02 AM »
btw, jdub, if your wife has a semi-decent dollar number in that account, she can look around and switch to somewhere that has an account opening bonus and recoup some of the money she's been raped out of.

from what i've seen, it would need to be at least 10k, right?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: January 26, 2017, 08:40:56 AM »
well I'll be damned. Its J-Dub.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: January 26, 2017, 08:58:37 AM »

from what i've seen, it would need to be at least 10k, right?

You don't need $10,000 to open an IRA or rollover a 401k, but there might be some more limited options on the funds you can invest in. The target retirement funds you only need $1,000.

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: January 26, 2017, 09:05:03 AM »
now i've got a question for me..

i've got a roth 401k through my employer. i chose a vanguard target date fund (both my roth 401k and my roth ira are vanguard target date funds..) when i started at my current job. but i have the option of going with the vanguard s&p 500 admiral (VFIAX) if i want to. which one would you elites go with?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: January 26, 2017, 09:34:46 AM »
Is a Roth 401k really a thing?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: January 26, 2017, 09:41:24 AM »

i've got a roth 401k through my employer. i chose a vanguard target date fund (both my roth 401k and my roth ira are vanguard target date funds..) when i started at my current job. but i have the option of going with the vanguard s&p 500 admiral (VFIAX) if i want to. which one would you elites go with?

this was my exact question 2 pages back buddy, I would say stick with the target fund.

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: January 26, 2017, 10:09:27 AM »

this was my exact question 2 pages back buddy, I would say stick with the target fund.

well, don't i feel like a horses ass.. as per steve dave's metric, i think i'll keep the target date fund and refrain from shooting my dick off

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: February 02, 2017, 11:52:10 AM »
Which stocks are REALLY going to benefit from loosening of regulations? Post thoughts below and let's get filthy rich together!

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: February 02, 2017, 12:01:59 PM »
Which stocks are REALLY going to benefit from loosening of regulations? Post thoughts below and let's get filthy rich together!

In my personal account I am 80% invested in UEC (uranium), TECK (zinc play), CLF (iron mining), and DNR (oil).

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: February 02, 2017, 12:04:37 PM »

In my personal account I am 80% invested in UEC (uranium), TECK (zinc play), CLF (iron mining), and DNR (oil).
DNR

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: February 02, 2017, 12:29:33 PM »
Which stocks are REALLY going to benefit from loosening of regulations?

the ones that went up 20% on 11-9-2016.