Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4086834 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #32625 on: September 10, 2021, 11:54:42 AM »
Only one coach has dominated a conference before

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32626 on: September 10, 2021, 12:21:06 PM »
We are going to dominate for a decade. That's just our deal.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32627 on: September 10, 2021, 01:26:24 PM »
NGL after thinking about it this is probably the best it'll e, and it does have some nice perks

1. This effs over texas and ou who now are forced even more to consider how long they want to stay in, they can't hope espn comes in and uses the AAC to dissolve us, we we're at least proactive and didn't go quietly into that good night, so I'm happy about that. I enjoy that for the next couple of years basically we can act like texas and ou don't exist when it comes to decision making so that's nice too, they now have to be along for the ride rather than the other way around. sure long term for texas and ou they'll love it more being in the SEC, w/e, I'm done with them.

2. Other than maybe BYU (but being mormon and new I can't imagine them being too much this) the only real prima-donna fanbase left is ku bball, which is w/e. No more 800 lb gorillas acting like they own the joint doing whatever the eff they feel like, being all pissy about horns down or w/e, that crap is done and we can wipe our hands clean of all of them, good riddance. I think it'll make the conference long term be more egalitarian and less self serving to any one school or set of schools, and realistically being one of the last 4 of the original big 8 left we kinda get to be more of the core.

3. It will be I guess exciting to have new members, and see how we do things like divisions and whatnot. Last time we "expanded" we only really added one semi-exotic team in West Virginia (TCU being in the footprint to me doesn't really make them that novel) but UCF, BYU, and Cincy to a degree fit that perfectly, Houston not so much but w/e.

We will lose prestige, but we did not overall lose it all, and in general going forward I think being cut adrift from those giant names will make it be a better conference for all. SEC will become the single dominant conference for football, but like while they'll never say it outright, I'm sure Arkansas, Miss St, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Vandy, Mizzou, and even Tennessee and South Carolina probably feel a bit out of their depth now being in a conference with the likes of LSU, Florida, Bama, Auburn, A&M, Georgia, Texas, and OU. Be like a more worse version of having to be TT and Baylor in the Big 12 south once upon a time. One of those happy to be there but in generally utterly impotent to anything.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32628 on: September 10, 2021, 01:51:17 PM »
I can't wait for Texas to start demanding special privileges in the SEC.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32629 on: September 10, 2021, 02:14:57 PM »
NGL after thinking about it this is probably the best it'll e, and it does have some nice perks

1. This effs over texas and ou who now are forced even more to consider how long they want to stay in, they can't hope espn comes in and uses the AAC to dissolve us, we we're at least proactive and didn't go quietly into that good night, so I'm happy about that. I enjoy that for the next couple of years basically we can act like texas and ou don't exist when it comes to decision making so that's nice too, they now have to be along for the ride rather than the other way around. sure long term for texas and ou they'll love it more being in the SEC, w/e, I'm done with them.

2. Other than maybe BYU (but being mormon and new I can't imagine them being too much this) the only real prima-donna fanbase left is ku bball, which is w/e. No more 800 lb gorillas acting like they own the joint doing whatever the eff they feel like, being all pissy about horns down or w/e, that crap is done and we can wipe our hands clean of all of them, good riddance. I think it'll make the conference long term be more egalitarian and less self serving to any one school or set of schools, and realistically being one of the last 4 of the original big 8 left we kinda get to be more of the core.

3. It will be I guess exciting to have new members, and see how we do things like divisions and whatnot. Last time we "expanded" we only really added one semi-exotic team in West Virginia (TCU being in the footprint to me doesn't really make them that novel) but UCF, BYU, and Cincy to a degree fit that perfectly, Houston not so much but w/e.

We will lose prestige, but we did not overall lose it all, and in general going forward I think being cut adrift from those giant names will make it be a better conference for all. SEC will become the single dominant conference for football, but like while they'll never say it outright, I'm sure Arkansas, Miss St, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Vandy, Mizzou, and even Tennessee and South Carolina probably feel a bit out of their depth now being in a conference with the likes of LSU, Florida, Bama, Auburn, A&M, Georgia, Texas, and OU. Be like a more worse version of having to be TT and Baylor in the Big 12 south once upon a time. One of those happy to be there but in generally utterly impotent to anything.

I agree with just about everything you've said. However, I'm also wondering just how long the SEC continues to drag along those school's I've highlighted, or possibly how long those schools stay in the SEC. If this is all about money, then some of those listed haven't been doing a damn thing for TV sets or wins for the past three decades. As another poster pointed out several weeks ago, voting for some of these schools to include OU and UT is an admission that you're just there to collect a paycheck.

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32633 on: September 10, 2021, 02:43:20 PM »
We definitely need to act better than and dismissal of them. Would be nice to come up with a nickname for the group.
The Band-Aids

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32635 on: September 10, 2021, 04:14:04 PM »
I'm interested in seeing if one team dominates or if we all take turns having fun.
I feel like OSU could dominate with Gundy.  But he appears to not really give an eff anymore.

They haven't won a conference championship since 2011. As much as I abhor TCU, they have to be thought of as more of an imminent threat to run a dynasty than anyone else. I wouldn't doubt if Patterson and Gundy are both gone by 2024 anyway.

I don't think anyone will be a dynasty in the league because no one will recruit well enough to.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32636 on: September 10, 2021, 04:22:36 PM »
If the welcome videos were the first competition then BYU social media department might be worse than KU Football, woof. I can't decide between UCF and Cincinnati for my favorite, they are both great but completely different.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32637 on: September 10, 2021, 04:24:11 PM »
I’ve been the biggest “no BYU” poster on this bbs, but screw it.  I’m in.  Will be nice to have some conference foes at the office water cooler.  And maybe they can be the new Big 12 villain.

They and UCF will fill the villain roles left by OU and UT quite well. Both fan bases have convinced themselves they are here to save the Big 12 and they will act like that for eternity even though they were just a couple of years ago both programs were bringing in literally couch cushion money in television revenue.

Here we go
https://www.deseret.com/2021/9/10/22666176/big-12-needed-byu-cougars-more-than-byu-needed-it

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32638 on: September 10, 2021, 04:32:06 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32639 on: September 10, 2021, 04:41:06 PM »
I’ve been the biggest “no BYU” poster on this bbs, but screw it.  I’m in.  Will be nice to have some conference foes at the office water cooler.  And maybe they can be the new Big 12 villain.

They and UCF will fill the villain roles left by OU and UT quite well. Both fan bases have convinced themselves they are here to save the Big 12 and they will act like that for eternity even though they were just a couple of years ago both programs were bringing in literally couch cushion money in television revenue.

Here we go
https://www.deseret.com/2021/9/10/22666176/big-12-needed-byu-cougars-more-than-byu-needed-it

They can't help themselves. If they didn't have a conference and this Big/PAC/ACC scheduling alliance thing happens they would have been mumped. Did this person forget that they played in the Boca Raton Bowl like 9 months ago? I had to take to twitter for this one.

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32640 on: September 10, 2021, 04:48:42 PM »

Here we go
:sdeek:

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32641 on: September 10, 2021, 04:56:16 PM »
UCF is really good at this

https://twitter.com/UCFKnights/status/1436419000586498049

I wish one of them would have done the Blue’s Clues “we just got a letter” video meme with a Big12 logo inside.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32642 on: September 10, 2021, 05:01:01 PM »
I mean...

https://twitter.com/UCF_Football/status/1436330538545995781

These guys might be a little excited

Offline konofo

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32643 on: September 10, 2021, 05:06:05 PM »
Does anyone know or have even heard of someone who goes/went to UCF? Aside from their sports players, obvs. Their enrollment number sounds very made up.

Married one, actually, and there are a handful at my office.

I have seen this day coming for nearly a decade, with a mix of excitement and dread.  I look forward to being able to drive to a Cats game once in a while, but you guys, I really, really need for us to win those games.   :ohno:

kono

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32644 on: September 10, 2021, 05:17:57 PM »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile

Offline konofo

• Fan
    • View Profile

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32648 on: September 10, 2021, 06:43:11 PM »
Does anyone know or have even heard of someone who goes/went to UCF? Aside from their sports players, obvs. Their enrollment number sounds very made up.

Married one, actually, and there are a handful at my office.

I have seen this day coming for nearly a decade, with a mix of excitement and dread.  I look forward to being able to drive to a Cats game once in a while, but you guys, I really, really need for us to win those games.   :ohno:

kono
They are freaking weirdos.
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32649 on: September 10, 2021, 06:55:53 PM »
Is UCF “southern” culturally?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.