Author Topic: Volleyball  (Read 148646 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Volleyball
« Reply #650 on: November 18, 2016, 10:34:44 AM »
3-1 win over ou on Wednesday

2 matches left, @ ut and home vs tech

currently 5th in conference behind flood aggie but they still have baylor, ku, and ou.  baylor @ 4th still has ku, isu, and ou

Saturday's ut game is on the longhorn network fwiw

Unfortunately, because of the late season slide, we played ourselves right out of a decent seed. Now looking at another trip to Nebraska or Wisconsin or somewhere out west like Washington again. Mizzou looks like they may finish with a top 16 RPI, hopefully we get sent there.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: November 18, 2016, 11:06:45 AM »
we lost to tcu but other than that, the ku and isu losses are understandable
i kind of feel like we're playing above where we should be this season, i don't know if that's correct or not.  it'd be nice to close out w/ 2 wins and hope to bump up a spot in the b12 standings + hit the ncaa's with some momentum

but ya, would love to go to Columbia rather than Lincoln or Seattle, though this team has a lot of potential

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: November 18, 2016, 02:28:46 PM »
i kind of feel like we're playing above where we should be this season, i don't know if that's correct or not.  it'd be nice to close out w/ 2 wins and hope to bump up a spot in the b12 standings + hit the ncaa's with some momentum

but ya, would love to go to Columbia rather than Lincoln or Seattle, though this team has a lot of potential

I think the ISU and KU matches are bad losses. We are absolutely better than ISU and the KU match is one you have to finish if you are a good team, we gave it away. They are mired in the same issue the football team is, we can't seem to beat anyone better than us. As far as expectations, we were picked to finish sixth in the preseason but that frankly was ridiculously low. We returned all seven starters from last season's team, that team should have finished third but they had one of the worst collapses ever. Like I said we haven't beaten anyone, in conference anyway, better than us but we've punted a couple so to me we haven't met a reasonable expectation. We have had some injuries but  :dunno:

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: November 18, 2016, 02:53:13 PM »

I think the ISU and KU matches are bad losses. We are absolutely better than ISU and the KU match is one you have to finish if you are a good team, we gave it away. They are mired in the same issue the football team is, we can't seem to beat anyone better than us. As far as expectations, we were picked to finish sixth in the preseason but that frankly was ridiculously low. We returned all seven starters from last season's team, that team should have finished third but they had one of the worst collapses ever. Like I said we haven't beaten anyone, in conference anyway, better than us but we've punted a couple so to me we haven't met a reasonable expectation. We have had some injuries but  :dunno:
I agree. We collapsed in at least two matches this year, and maybe a third.  I didn't expect that with the starting lineup returning, so it makes it disappointing. I thought the would challenge for the conference title.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: November 18, 2016, 03:22:22 PM »
Texas is more vulnerable than I thought they would be.

Offline salcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: November 21, 2016, 09:27:51 PM »
Off to Nebraska again? Looking at past years they can't seem to get better than 9-7 in Big 12.

Sent from my SCH-R960 using Tapatalk

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: November 22, 2016, 07:35:42 AM »
MiR, no trolling, you still feel like Suzie is the woman for the job?  Has the state of the program done what you thought it needed to do over the last handful of years?
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 22, 2016, 08:01:51 AM »
MiR, no trolling, you still feel like Suzie is the woman for the job?  Has the state of the program done what you thought it needed to do over the last handful of years?

is there a comparison to be made between suz and deb?  coach a middle of the pack team to a cup of coffee in the ncaa's every couple of years?  i guess when you think about it, that same analogy could be used to describe any of our teams.  a little bit above average/mediocre. 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: November 22, 2016, 08:31:30 AM »
Hadn't really thought about that direct comparison Clams, good to chew on.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 25, 2016, 03:51:18 AM »

:lol:                                       
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:                      :lol:

I appreciate a level headed check on what we *are* doing, but we are limiting what we *can* do, especially with a coach that has proven she is a middle of the pack, 1st or 2nd round NCAA coach.  Yeah we aren't going to go back to the path McLaughlin had us on, but we know that Suzi isn't going to get us much success.  Grats on the regular season record moral victory, but at some point it's K-state0 to harp on that crap instead of looking at tournament results. 

But besides that point, go horns, great to see Nub fans rooting so hard against them in ses 1 last night.

I don't give a crap about how nice Suzie is or isn't, I don't owe her a damn thing. What I do care about is that she has a direct tie to all but one of our tournament appearances in the history of the school and the only conference championship. When you're running an olympic sport you don't fire one of the winningest coaches in the history of the sport in hopes that you may find someone that can possibly win a few more matches in December, that's patently dumb, so dumb in fact that I am not going to talk about this anymore. Suzie has as much of a chance of getting fired as I do in being her replacement. I've wasted too much time on this stupid crap.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: November 26, 2016, 04:37:28 PM »
Clams really crystallized some things here with that comparison to Deb.  It's been another year, maybe MiR changed his mind or he has really liked what she has done.  I haven't watched enough v-ball this year to comment.  I know he does take a great interest in the program. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 26, 2016, 09:16:48 PM »
looks like isu is going to win 3-0 tonight vs OU, the cats finish @ 4th (t) in the b12 for the season
 :babywillie:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 27, 2016, 12:42:32 AM »
Clams really crystallized some things here with that comparison to Deb.  It's been another year, maybe MiR changed his mind or he has really liked what she has done.  I haven't watched enough v-ball this year to comment.  I know he does take a great interest in the program.

You can't be serious? Are you actually aware of the records of Suzie and Deb? There is no comparison, its actually laughable.

As far as what I think about Susie, there might be 5 Olympic sports team coaches in all of the NCAA that would feel any pressure at all with a record of 315-176 and 12 NCAA appearances in 16 years. Anyone who expects more than that from a non-revenue sport at a small budget school should be mercilessly mocked.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: November 27, 2016, 12:45:32 AM »
We had an RPI of 19 going into the last weekend, Currie thinks we have a shot at hosting, which makes me think that he has had some contact with the NCAA about the possibility. They have to contact potential host schools about logistics before the bracket is complete. If we host it will be at Bramlage.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: November 27, 2016, 12:56:54 AM »

You can't be serious? Are you actually aware of the records of Suzie and Deb? There is no comparison, its actually laughable.

As far as what I think about Susie, there might be 5 Olympic sports team coaches in all of the NCAA that would feel any pressure at all with a record of 315-176 and 12 NCAA appearances in 16 years. Anyone who expects more than that from a non-revenue sport at a small budget school should be mercilessly mocked.

i'm serious.
deb @ k-state 350-226 (.608)   
suzie @ k-state 295-168 (.637)

that comparison is laughable to you?  how weird.

one was fired for lack of performance, one was extended through 2020

i don't care about their comparative records though when, in totality, their results are the same. 
like i said, slightly above average teams who have no real shot at any post-season success. a cup of coffee in the tournament and a sense of accomplishment for the plane ride home.  seems to be the equal measure of both coaches.

i get the feeling that she's done everything that she's going to do at k-state, hope i'm wrong

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: November 27, 2016, 02:00:19 AM »

i'm serious.
deb @ k-state 350-226 (.608)   
suzie @ k-state 295-168 (.637)

that comparison is laughable to you?  how weird.

one was fired for lack of performance, one was extended through 2020

i don't care about their comparative records though when, in totality, their results are the same. 
like i said, slightly above average teams who have no real shot at any post-season success. a cup of coffee in the tournament and a sense of accomplishment for the plane ride home.  seems to be the equal measure of both coaches.

i get the feeling that she's done everything that she's going to do at k-state, hope i'm wrong

I was the biggest Deb defender in the world but come on man, you're being intentionally obtuse. First of all Deb had other issues at K-State but if you completely ignore all of that Deb made the tournament only 9 out of 18 years. Deb finished in last place TWICE. Deb's final two years she was 30-37 and 10-26 coupled with a crap ton of defections. Suzie did have a similar two year stretch to that but it was because she had a ton of injuries and not because she was carrying a roster well short of the scholarship limit because she couldn't keep players in the program. Also unfortunately for Deb, that didn't constitute her worst stretch as a head coach, so yeah when you are asking why a coach who's last two years had a record of 30-37 doesn't meet the same fate as another coach who went 37-18 in the same stretch, I'm gonna laugh, a lot.

Maybe she has done everything she's going to do at K-State, find me 10 volleyball coaches that has done more in 16 seasons. She has the same amount of Big 12 championships as Ray Bechard has and he was her college coach. I'd sign up for 16 more years of exactly this from a volleyball program. I'm not willing to sacrifice consistent good for a couple of more December wins.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: November 27, 2016, 08:12:46 AM »
Hey MiR I appreciate your ardent support of our coaches.  You and I might disagree on some of the non revenue sports but I know you are looking at it with a level head.  It sounds like you don't think much has changed over the last few years with volleyball.  I've gone on record with you before that I thought Deb should have been fired immediately when those allegations, and later exposé, came out back with our big 3.  But besides that point we haven't been seeing the same kind of success as KU over the last few years.  It's an interesting perspective that you bring where you look at totality and I'm probably looking at it more 'what have you done lately.'  I just worry the lately has changed the expectation of this program to just being happy to make the NCAAs, ecstatic to host, and being in the top half, maybe top third of the conference.  I think there are a lot of circumstances that are radically different than Deb and Susie.  But it seems like Mittie has brought a lot of new energy to the wbb program.  I'm just curious to see at what point you think we need a change just for changes sake, or if that is even a thing in your mind.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: November 27, 2016, 07:05:33 PM »
Hey MiR I appreciate your ardent support of our coaches.  You and I might disagree on some of the non revenue sports but I know you are looking at it with a level head.  It sounds like you don't think much has changed over the last few years with volleyball.  I've gone on record with you before that I thought Deb should have been fired immediately when those allegations, and later exposé, came out back with our big 3.  But besides that point we haven't been seeing the same kind of success as KU over the last few years.  It's an interesting perspective that you bring where you look at totality and I'm probably looking at it more 'what have you done lately.'  I just worry the lately has changed the expectation of this program to just being happy to make the NCAAs, ecstatic to host, and being in the top half, maybe top third of the conference.  I think there are a lot of circumstances that are radically different than Deb and Susie.  But it seems like Mittie has brought a lot of new energy to the wbb program.  I'm just curious to see at what point you think we need a change just for changes sake, or if that is even a thing in your mind.

First of all, I was dead ass wrong about deb, 100%. I honestly think the only thing that has changed in regards to Suzie is KU making that final four last year. If that didn't happen the casual fan wouldn't think "they did it, why can't we?" That is a fair question to ask, but for me I wouldn't trade their two seasons for what we have had. And like I've said before, even if this is what she is you can't fire an Olympic coach for what she's done. Is it more likely that you get someone who makes the NCAA tournament 3 out of every 4 years or are you going to get someone who you'll need to fire in 5 years because of sagging performance and attendance. She shouldn't change a thing, we win and make money, that's enough for me.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: November 27, 2016, 07:58:06 PM »
Any news on the tourney yet?

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 27, 2016, 08:01:49 PM »
Just saw that the show is airing  now.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 27, 2016, 08:07:52 PM »
HOLY crap!!! We're hosting, 14 seed

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: November 27, 2016, 08:14:18 PM »
i like that they seed the top 16 in the tourney.  And for the Lady Cats to be 14th is amazing. 

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: November 27, 2016, 08:20:07 PM »
Friday night.  Awesome to host two rounds 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: November 27, 2016, 08:22:25 PM »
Great news

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #674 on: November 27, 2016, 08:34:05 PM »
Congrats vballcats!

Until suzie starts rough ridin' her players, she shouldn't be compared to oddly christian fundamentalist lesbo dominatrix deb.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd