Author Topic: It is that time of year again...  (Read 21778 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: It is that time of year again...
« Reply #175 on: February 06, 2018, 01:50:33 PM »
Also FWIW these girls have never cried during a game

If they ain't crying, they ain't trying.  Get it together coach and make those preteens weep.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 06, 2018, 02:24:43 PM »
1/hr a week for practice and 1 game a week makes teaching them much pretty rough I'd expect

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 06, 2018, 02:29:31 PM »
We get two teams of at least 8 kids each splitting a tiny Elementary school gym - if we accomplish 2 or 3 things it is a good practice

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 06, 2018, 03:26:04 PM »
1/hr a week for practice and 1 game a week makes teaching them much pretty rough I'd expect

definitely. I do have a full court but I just try to keep them either doing something with a basketball or part of a scrimmage as much as possible.

also most practices I have 7 girls show up, which is just about the worst number you can have. 8 or 9 works pretty well because I can do 2 courts of 2v2 or 3 teams in 3v3 cutthroat

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 06, 2018, 03:34:26 PM »
Who's having coaching and having fun with parents?!? I'm coaching 5th and 6th grade girls basketball in a t-shirt rec league with mandatory playing requirements and a super wide range of skill levels. We practice 1 hour/week and have 1 game/week. I play every player equally every game and I told parents I would do this before the season started. We're 6-3 and in third place in a 7 team league. I have 5 kids on the team whose parents requested I coach their kids. This is from a parent whose daughter did not attend a practice in the month of January, but helped coach a single game when I couldn't make it:

Hi, This is DAUGHTER'S 3rd season playing IN THIS LEAGUE. This is the first season she has come home in tears after every game. I understand that from what you told the girls the first practice that you do not believe in positions or plays. Both DAUGHTER and DAUGHTER'S FRIEND were discouraged by this. This leaves the girls scrambling, in both offense and defense. These girls are old enough to learn basic positioning and zone defense, some girls just stand there knowing not what to do. I do not want DAUGHTER to quit the season but unless they learn some basic basketball plays and defense as a team , it’s not really worth the time and frustration. Every other team is playing to win. I feel like our girls are being taught 3rd grade level. It’s to the point that we might not play IN THIS LEAGUE again. And to be honest, parents last weekend said to me that they were happy the girls had some structure during the game. I realize this is a volunteer position, I’ve done it too, but it’s alittle frustrating to watch the girls learn nothing on how to play as a team. Pls let me know what you decide. I’d like her to stick to the end of the season but not as it stands now. Best, MOM

I explained my philosophy a bit, suggested she just let her daughter come to practice, have fun, and be a kid, and she did not like it. BTW, she installed a zone defense for the game she coached despite the team playing man-to-man all year, and my daughter was crying after the game because this woman kind of treated her like trash:

Can my daughter be a kid? Are YOU kidding me? You don't know my child and seem to be more interested in coaching the level your daughter plays and not that of the entire team because if you did, you'd notice the frustration with not only MY DAUGHTER but other players (and their parents) over the lack of direction they are given. Before games, parents have asked me why you do not give them "talks", any strategy or warm up outside like other coaches seem to do. The girls look clueless on the court. Your daughter may have felt a little extra pressure than she is used to when I coached but you should have seen the ear to ear grins on the rest of the girls after they beat an undefeated team with just a few very basic pointers!!! Someone from THIS LEAGUE came up to me after the game and said "those are the games we like to see!" 

To DAUGHTER, practice is time to work on fundamentals AND learn how to play as a team. But if they are just supposed to "wing it' every game, I don't see the point. It is very obvious the difference between you and other coaches when you watch the games from the sideline. DAUGHTER expects her coach to correct and give guidance to ALL players during games. She likes to be pushed a little and my expectation is that she learns something from this experience. I mean, we did pay $175 for the season. In the future, you might want to take the pulse of parents and players as I was told a couple of girls were ready to quit last year. Most of these players have competitive experience so there seems to me to be a pattern.

:billdance:

What in the world?

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 06, 2018, 03:36:03 PM »
Had my first confrontation with a parent in 4 years after last nights game.  I think generally by high school a lot of parents have accepted their kids roles and/or the kids with horrible parents have burned out and don't play anymore.  I rarely have any problems.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 06, 2018, 03:39:13 PM »
Had my first confrontation with a parent in 4 years after last nights game.  I think generally by high school a lot of parents have accepted their kids roles and/or the kids with horrible parents have burned out and don't play anymore.  I rarely have any problems.
well you can't say that and then not post what was said/done

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 06, 2018, 03:54:29 PM »
rusty, make up a play hard chart and show her that her child hasn't tallied a play hard play all season long and would be riding the bench if you are going to play to win

orrrrrrr...

get a couple italian players and mike ditka to assist you

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 07, 2018, 12:17:31 PM »
I resolved the last email by saying I wouldn't ever teach a zone defense and probably won't change plays but I'd ask the girl what she enjoyed doing and wanted to work on (because she wants to work on fundamentals like all 12 years old) and try to incorporate some of that into practice without tailoring everything to her. Said I wouldn't address anything else over email but would have a discussion face-to-face over a beer with her and her husband sometime. I don't know why, but I'm definitely the better person.

In hindsight, I thought about forwarding the email to the rest of the parents to be mean, but like I said, I'm a good person.

The Big Train

« Reply #184 on: February 07, 2018, 12:57:08 PM »
You have to be forceful and almost ruthless with those parents rusty or they won't ever stop hassling you.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 07, 2018, 01:01:28 PM »
Said I wouldn't address anything else over email but would have a discussion face-to-face over a beer with her and her husband sometime. I don't know why, but I'm definitely the better person.

you may be right about her daughter being a p.o.s. or you may be wrong, but insisting on escalating an email discussion to a face-face confrontation means you most certainly are not a better person.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 07, 2018, 01:02:57 PM »
that is the right call, drop a few vague comments to the other parents if you want to really be mean - the rumors started will be much better than the actual email.

Thanks for those links to Brian McCormick books, I am actually starting with this one he wrote after coaching a 9 year old boys team.  I like how he admits passing in elementary school basketball is an iffy proposition at best and prioritized improving ball handling which is the biggest hurdle for most kids to actually enjoy the game imho
https://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Basketball-Strategic-Method-Development-ebook/dp/B01EO6INMM

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 07, 2018, 03:16:47 PM »
I'd love some advice.

So lil CF3 is in 2nd grade and playing basketball. He complained to me after the game this week that the other kids don't pass him the ball, and, frankly, he's right. There are 2 kids who are much better than the rest of the team that dominate ball, and only pass to each other. So unless the other kids on the team get a rebound, they don't touch the ball. The thing is its the same in practice. The coach basically just has them scrimmage and lil CF3 and about 3 other kids never touch the ball, outside of loose balls etc.

So I was thinking of suggesting to the coach tonight at practice to run more drills focused on sharing the ball, but also don't want to be THAT GUY. But at the same time, these kids are 7 and I don't think its insane to mandate at least during practice that a different kid takes shots on different possessions.

If you were me, how would you approach things? I'm tempted to just tell my boy to hang in there. There's only a couple weeks left anyway.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 07, 2018, 03:37:11 PM »
I'd love some advice.

So lil CF3 is in 2nd grade and playing basketball. He complained to me after the game this week that the other kids don't pass him the ball, and, frankly, he's right. There are 2 kids who are much better than the rest of the team that dominate ball, and only pass to each other. So unless the other kids on the team get a rebound, they don't touch the ball. The thing is its the same in practice. The coach basically just has them scrimmage and lil CF3 and about 3 other kids never touch the ball, outside of loose balls etc.

So I was thinking of suggesting to the coach tonight at practice to run more drills focused on sharing the ball, but also don't want to be THAT GUY. But at the same time, these kids are 7 and I don't think its insane to mandate at least during practice that a different kid takes shots on different possessions.

If you were me, how would you approach things? I'm tempted to just tell my boy to hang in there. There's only a couple weeks left anyway.
volunteer to be an asst coach for the rest of the year or asst coach next season.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 07, 2018, 03:47:32 PM »
I did volunteer to asst at the first practice and was the coach has never taken me up on it. He's not a bad dude FWIW

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 07, 2018, 03:58:45 PM »
I'd love some advice.

second grade boys are going to be terrible at passing no matter what. It's almost too young for basketball IMO. drills to improve passing and sharing the ball could help, but probably not. but yeah like YLA said be a coach yourself next year. go for head coach next year, I could help you come up with some really fun practice plans for 3rd grade boys.

Without knowing anything about how this particular coach runs practice, I can't comment on how best to proceed this season. It's good they're scrimmaging, at least. I'd try to explain to your son that everyone is learning at that age and as everyone improves it will be easier. And coach next year.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 07, 2018, 04:00:44 PM »
tell your boy that unless he makes himself into a point, he's never gonna get as many touches as he wants.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 07, 2018, 04:10:16 PM »
I'd love some advice.

second grade boys are going to be terrible at passing no matter what. It's almost too young for basketball IMO. drills to improve passing and sharing the ball could help, but probably not. but yeah like YLA said be a coach yourself next year. go for head coach next year, I could help you come up with some really fun practice plans for 3rd grade boys.

Without knowing anything about how this particular coach runs practice, I can't comment on how best to proceed this season. It's good they're scrimmaging, at least. I'd try to explain to your son that everyone is learning at that age and as everyone improves it will be easier. And coach next year.

That's good advice. Thanks.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 07, 2018, 04:14:26 PM »
I've coached baseball and t-ball and soccer as the head coach for my kids, but basketball intimidates me. I never played organized basketball, but maybe I'll give it a go next year. I've learned in the other 2 sports its 50% crowd control with the kids, 30% being organized at practice and the games, and 20% knowledge of the sport.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 07, 2018, 04:15:07 PM »
I did volunteer to asst at the first practice and was the coach has never taken me up on it. He's not a bad dude FWIW
does he ever let the other kids on the team play point and bring the ball up the floor? 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 07, 2018, 04:15:48 PM »
i’m guessing your boy is getting the Claws treatment #freewhitey

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 07, 2018, 04:17:30 PM »
does he ever let the other kids on the team play point and bring the ball up the floor?

Na not really.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 07, 2018, 04:38:10 PM »
I've coached baseball and t-ball and soccer as the head coach for my kids, but basketball intimidates me. I never played organized basketball, but maybe I'll give it a go next year. I've learned in the other 2 sports its 50% crowd control with the kids, 30% being organized at practice and the games, and 20% knowledge of the sport.

I've coached basketball the last four years and soccer two years before that and early on I had issues with behavior, but I eventually realized that if I designed a practice that kept everyone moving, those crowd control issues go away. I just assume that if kids are bored/goofing off it's my fault for not having them in an activity that keeps them engaged.

At that age, keeping them busy with lots of dribbling/tag games, layups in different forms (ideally with minimal lines), and lots of small scrimmages will be most fun for the kids, keep them in line, and probably be the best for their development.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 08, 2018, 03:45:45 PM »
I think that if this parent gives you any more crap, you probably should point out to her that the original rules of basketball are kept in a building that sits in your home state, michigancat. That should shut her up.

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 08, 2018, 06:39:38 PM »

go for head coach next year, I could help you come up with some really fun practice plans for third grade boys.

MIcat, this wasn't offered to me, but I would take you up on it if you're willing.  I helped with 5-6th grade this year and concluded that I wanted to do 3-4th next year to focus on teaching lay-ups, ball handling, rebounding (at least going after the ball), footwork (pivots and jump stops) and maybe some defensive stance/shuffle.

Are those the things to teach?  If not, what should it be?  If so, how do you teach those things while keeping their attention?