Author Topic: Game of Thrones SHOW thread for people who are confused by the book thread  (Read 370349 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
The whole "trial by combat" thing is pretty stupid. If it's obvious you're guilty why wouldn't you do that everytime? Why would the "government" allow a person who is most likely guilty to kill someone in order to be set free?

a guy in arizona a year or two ago demanded trial by combat and there was some talk over if he could or not.  the issue hasn't really been addressed in the us or something.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Because they believe the Gods influence the combat

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

So why don't they just do it everytime?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The whole "trial by combat" thing is pretty stupid. If it's obvious you're guilty why wouldn't you do that everytime? Why would the "government" allow a person who is most likely guilty to kill someone in order to be set free?

Because people are barbaric and would rather see a fight. Also, if I'm pretty sure the person on trial can only request a trial by combat. That doesn't mean it has to be granted. Can one of the book nerds weigh in here?

I don't know all the ins and outs of it, but they view trial by combat as letting the gods decide things. You would have to be pretty influential to ever find a champion willing to fight for you, and if you don't find a champion, you are stuck fighting the best fighter in the king's army in full armor. If you don't have a suit of armor handy, I don't think you are given one. I really think your odds of living through a sham trial would be a lot better than the trial by combat route in almost every instance. They often let murderers take the black rather than face execution.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile

So why don't they just do it everytime?

PLOT HOLE. BLOW HUGE HOLES IN GAME OF THROWNZE SHOWS AND BOOKS WITH MAESTER STEVESEI
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:10:52 PM by puniraptor »

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Because some are fine with the wall.  Also you've got to have someone good.  Tyrion knows oberon wants to eff over the lannisters

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Because some are fine with the wall.  Also you've got to have someone good.  Tyrion knows oberon wants to eff over the lannisters

At this point, Tyrion's probably thinking he can get Bronn to fight for him again.  Oberyn will be the backup plan when Bronn can't/won't.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I liked when the dragon flame-broiled the goat.

Medieval episode of Law And Order was also pretty funny to watch.

Also Lord Varys was kind of a bitch in this episode. I thought he was conniving but supposed to be kind of a good guy in the show.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Tyrion is all like "Hey remember you were all psyched about me saving the city and said that I was awesome and stuff, did you forget that?"

And Lord Varys is all like "Unfortunately I don't forget anything, guy."

WHAT KIND OF ANSWER IS THAT???

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

Because people are barbaric and would rather see a fight. Also, if I'm pretty sure the person on trial can only request a trial by combat. That doesn't mean it has to be granted. Can one of the book nerds weigh in here?

hey downgrade, learn your rough ridin' role.  don't ask for other downgrades to talk about the books in this thread you rough ridin' dumbass.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
hey downgrade, learn your rough ridin' role.  don't ask for other downgrades to talk about the books in this thread you rough ridin' dumbass.

:thumbs:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
 :thumbs:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I don't know all the ins and outs of it, but they view trial by combat as letting the gods decide things. You would have to be pretty influential to ever find a champion willing to fight for you, and if you don't find a champion, you are stuck fighting the best fighter in the king's army in full armor. If you don't have a suit of armor handy, I don't think you are given one. I really think your odds of living through a sham trial would be a lot better than the trial by combat route in almost every instance. They often let murderers take the black rather than face execution.

This.

Also, I'm pretty sure that if you request a trial by combat then they have to grant it.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
Just watched last night - maybe my favorite episode of the series.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
 :excited:
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile

As boring as last week was for me this week was equally as exciting.

And yes, Mh, I understand that last week had to happen to set up this week's greatness.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile

And yes, Mh, I understand that last week had to happen to set up this week's greatness.

I wasn't going to say anything, I've come to terms with the fact that you're part of the action and sexytime obsessed mob.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile

I wasn't going to say anything, I've come to terms with the fact that you're part of the action and sexytime obsessed mob.

Not entirely true. I can appreciate a scene filled with dialogue, but sometimes they can get a little dry. And sometimes you have to see the action to have the context of a previous scene's conversation make sense.

I'm not sure if I'll ever go back and watch this series from start to finish again, but I'm sure if I did the earlier episodes would make a lot more sense due to the fact I know how they'll later impact the show. This happens a lot while watching movies, but it's much easier to rewatch a 2 hour movie than what will be a 60+ hour long series by the time it's done.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Not entirely true. I can appreciate a scene filled with dialogue, but sometimes they can get a little dry. And sometimes you have to see the action to have the context of a previous scene's conversation make sense.

I'm not sure if I'll ever go back and watch this series from start to finish again, but I'm sure if I did the earlier episodes would make a lot more sense due to the fact I know how they'll later impact the show. This happens a lot while watching movies, but it's much easier to rewatch a 2 hour movie than what will be a 60+ hour long series by the time it's done.

I'm pushing your buttons. The show, and the books even more so, are a gigantic time investment. I'm quite fond of this series but I doubt there will ever be a point in time where I consider rereading them.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
That said, Dany scenes are my favorite scenes...  :fatty:

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
That said, Dany scenes are my favorite scenes...  :fatty:

KATDADDY! NO!

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Tyrion is all like "Hey remember you were all psyched about me saving the city and said that I was awesome and stuff, did you forget that?"

And Lord Varys is all like "Unfortunately I don't forget anything, guy."

WHAT KIND OF ANSWER IS THAT???

Operates on a few levels.

First, unfortunately for Tyrion, Varys didn't forget the bad stuff Tyrion said about Joffrey.

Second, also unfortunately for Tyrion, Varys doesn't forget all he's learned about "playing the game" and his overall awareness of everything that's going on everywhere in the GoT world. Which means that he knows this is the play he needs to make at this point, for his own purposes. Also, he'd like to be able to forget some of the screwed-up crap that he's aware of, but that's kinda his line of work now, so.

Third, unfortunately for Varys, he of course remembers what he told Tyrion and knows he's screwing him over and feels kinda bad about it, and also knows he won't be able to forget feeling bad about it. (But still, better to be able to feel bad about that than not being able to feel anything because your head is no longer attached to the rest of your body. YOLO.)

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I can't believe I ever loved Shae.