Author Topic: HDMI (faux help Gooch build a house thread)  (Read 3473 times)

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
HDMI (faux help Gooch build a house thread)
« on: December 15, 2016, 03:23:51 PM »
So It there going to be really that much better of delivery system of HD video and sound than HDMI in the next 5 -10 years?

The new house will be pre-wired with HDMI outlets from TV locations to where I want to locate the boxes. The other option would be conduits that I can pull whatever type cabling through them. Price is the same but with conduits I wouldn't get the "free" HDMI cable and would have to provide my own on move in. I guess the conduit option would allow easy upgrades in the future but i'm not sure.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Re: HDMI (faux help Gooch build a house thread)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 03:25:04 PM »
make sure they upgrade to the monster ones

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 03:25:41 PM »
stick with HDMI.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 03:28:40 PM »
Get a projector, poor. Smdh @tv
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 03:31:04 PM »
Streaming to something like a chromecast but on steroids, within 5 years easy, right?

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 03:31:47 PM »

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 03:33:16 PM »
Streaming to something like a chromecast but on steroids, within 5 years easy, right?
Yeah. The next step from HDMI is going to better wireless right? There is not really going to be a better cable?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 03:34:26 PM »
I mean, maybe in 5yrs we are streaming from the router to our heads or something.  Seems as likely as still using cables for anything.   :dunno:

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 03:35:29 PM »
Do the in wall hdmi but ask them to leave a pull string or two within the cavity for future upgrades

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 03:36:16 PM »
I mean, conduit is cheap and no one has ever been upset when they need to pull an unanticipated wire and didn't have to wreck into a wall. 

If you are doing this, run two conduit from the tv to the shelf/stand/whatever where your components will be.  Will give you plenty of room for signal separate from power.

Whatever 5yrs brings, your current tv will still probably work and you will still need to plug that bitch in.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 03:36:52 PM »
Do the in wall hdmi but ask them to leave a pull string or two within the cavity for future upgrades
See. Being helpful can be fun! :cheers:

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 03:41:37 PM »
Get a two gang hdmi wall plate. have them run 2 HDMI's. that crap comes in handy.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 03:44:46 PM »
Get a two gang hdmi wall plate. have them run 2 HDMI's. that crap comes in handy.
That's what it is.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 03:45:47 PM »
conduit

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 03:49:04 PM »
I've got Cat 6 cables run all over the damn world in my house into like every bedroom and living room and office area and crap. number of items in my entire house currently hooked to it? zero. wtf did I think I was building? one of those giant computer rooms that saul probably sits in all day with billions of cables and like super chess computers and crap?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 03:50:25 PM »
I'd opt for the conduit every time. But I'm kind of a control freak and I also think HDMI is the devil (I sometimes get random "HDMI handshake" issues with my equipment). Flexibility in the long term is always going to be more valuable to you than some "free" HDMI cabling.

Here's what you want....
1. A "trunk" conduit running from basement utility room all the way up to your attic with a couple access points on each floor. Will make wiring much easier in the future.
2. Go ahead and run coax to wherever you think you might want TV just in case you or the next homeowner don't want to stream.
3. Cat6 is super versatile. It's the one cable (in addition to coax) I would prewire throughout the house. Do you ever plan to install security cams? Run the Cat6 now.
4. You can probably save a lot of money if you and a friend do the cabling yourself. It's not very difficult before the drywall goes up.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2016, 03:56:54 PM »
Evil hdmi? Good grief

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2016, 03:57:54 PM »
I'd opt for the conduit every time. But I'm kind of a control freak and I also think HDMI is the devil (I sometimes get random "HDMI handshake" issues with my equipment). Flexibility in the long term is always going to be more valuable to you than some "free" HDMI cabling.

Here's what you want....
1. A "trunk" conduit running from basement utility room all the way up to your attic with a couple access points on each floor. Will make wiring much easier in the future.
2. Go ahead and run coax to wherever you think you might want TV just in case you or the next homeowner don't want to stream.
3. Cat6 is super versatile. It's the one cable (in addition to coax) I would prewire throughout the house. Do you ever plan to install security cams? Run the Cat6 now.
4. You can probably save a lot of money if you and a friend do the cabling yourself. It's not very difficult before the drywall goes up.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2016, 03:58:02 PM »
I'd opt for the conduit every time. But I'm kind of a control freak and I also think HDMI is the devil (I sometimes get random "HDMI handshake" don't know what this is but it sounds like a terrible dry HJ at lake of the ozarks maybe issues with my equipment). Flexibility in the long term is always going to be more valuable to you than some "free" HDMI cabling.

Here's what you want....
1. A "trunk" conduit running from basement utility room all the way up to your attic with a couple access points on each floor. Will make wiring much easier in the future. no basement single floor home
2. Go ahead and run coax to wherever you think you might want TV just in case you or the next homeowner don't want to stream. - coax? lol no. All boxes are wireless except for the main dvr in the utility room that the slingbox is hooked up to.
3. Cat6 is super versatile. It's the one cable (in addition to coax) I would prewire throughout the house. Do you ever plan to install security cams? Run the Cat6 now. security cams are also wifi
4. You can probably save a lot of money if you and a friend do the cabling yourself. It's not very difficult before the drywall goes up. - lol no. I don't even mow my own lawn

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2016, 04:01:36 PM »
I really should just come down and get this straightened out for you. It's hard to tell you what you need without seeing what you want to do.

Do you have a pdf of the plans by chance?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2016, 04:02:56 PM »
just have them put the hdmi in conduit so it's harder for the guy you hire in like 5yrs to eff up your house

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2016, 04:03:48 PM »
I really should just come down and get this straightened out for you. It's hard to tell you what you need without seeing what you want to do.

Do you have a pdf of the plans by chance?
Yes, come do my electrical walk thru sometime in March. I'll buy all the beers at CSB.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2016, 04:05:25 PM »
I don't know what csb is but I hope they have hpv's

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2016, 04:06:56 PM »

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2016, 07:11:24 PM »
I would go conduit.  I would be willing to be the builder will probably use some crap cables from monoprice anyway.  And yes, they are crap cables. 

As CNS suggested you might think about two runs for power.  Also CAT6 should be done for now, especially if you're pulling 4k content.  Wifi *can* do a lot, but the stability and dependability of a wired connection is going to be hard to beat in 5 years. If need be you can also push audio and video over it.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting