Author Topic: handyman-ness  (Read 135322 times)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
Re: handyman-ness
« Reply #475 on: December 29, 2014, 10:47:18 PM »
nope

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 29, 2014, 10:48:40 PM »
This is making me sad like watching my grandma go further into dementia
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 29, 2014, 10:48:50 PM »
Screw it, i'm gonna go hang out in the shame yourself thread for awhile.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 29, 2014, 10:49:08 PM »
ben ji's house is so mumped

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 29, 2014, 10:50:07 PM »
i like benji more than the next but this is kind of funny/sad. funad.  :frown:

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: December 29, 2014, 10:54:57 PM »
limestone must've bought his house

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 30, 2014, 09:11:34 AM »
Anyone done the heated flooring?  What about under a floor like _fan put in?

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 30, 2014, 11:50:57 AM »
weekend project finished, sanded and painted the master bedroom door to match the trim i am putting up throughout the house.  also went with the updated hardware as the original 1960 brass look is out.  only 18 more doors to go   :lol:

While I admire the handyman-ness and craftsmanship of that project, you picked some of the most plain, boring trim that i've seen in a long time. I do like the door hardware though!

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 30, 2014, 12:55:37 PM »
weekend project finished, sanded and painted the master bedroom door to match the trim i am putting up throughout the house.  also went with the updated hardware as the original 1960 brass look is out.  only 18 more doors to go   :lol:

While I admire the handyman-ness and craftsmanship of that project, you picked some of the most plain, boring trim that i've seen in a long time. I do like the door hardware though!

I'd assume it was a craftsman style house, but don't think they have those in the metroplex, now would the avergae person paint them white.

The Big Train

« Reply #484 on: December 30, 2014, 01:11:04 PM »

that is the exact same trim that you put in your house

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 30, 2014, 01:14:21 PM »
have any of you added a small half bathroom to your house? in this example, we are talking about a main floor bathroom where underneath is an unfinished basement, so you can route the plumbing wherever, i think. my question is how much of a PITA is it? tia

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 30, 2014, 01:53:54 PM »
have any of you added a small half bathroom to your house? in this example, we are talking about a main floor bathroom where underneath is an unfinished basement, so you can route the plumbing wherever, i think. my question is how much of a PITA is it? tia

wouldn't be that much of a pain. hardest deal is adding the sanitary drain for the toilet. don't forget when you're adding a partition to a room you'll need to account for HVAC, this could be a PITA also.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 30, 2014, 02:04:35 PM »
Vent pipe would probs be the biggest pita., imo.

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 30, 2014, 02:07:50 PM »

Alot easier than adding a bathroom to a concrete slab style backroom. That was a horrible pain in the ass.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 30, 2014, 02:27:56 PM »

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 30, 2014, 07:54:34 PM »

there are easy ways around this. http://www.diyadvice.com/diy/plumbing/kitchen/install-air-admittance-valve/

doesn't meet most codes, and would not meet any code installed in a wall cavity.    That said I have one on my basement mop sink.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 30, 2014, 07:56:39 PM »
what is the area currently mr. mocat

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 30, 2014, 10:02:34 PM »

thanks, i think

I'd assume it was a craftsman style house, but don't think they have those in the metroplex, now would the avergae person paint them white.

there are some craftsman in east dallas but my house is not.  i like the craftsman & shaker styles so i am incorporating it in my ranch style as part of a transitional remodel.  it looks white in the picture but it is ceme brulee trim on castle stone walls.  really pops with the dark walnut i used on the oak floors, just need better lighting and photog skills.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 30, 2014, 10:04:44 PM »

thanks, i think

there are some craftsman in east dallas but my house is not.  i like the craftsman & shaker styles so i am incorporating it in my ranch style as part of a transitional remodel.  it looks white in the picture but it is ceme brulee trim on castle stone walls.  really pops with the dark walnut i used on the oak floors, just need better lighting and photog skills.
Get w Benji on that.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 31, 2014, 12:27:29 PM »

that is the exact same trim that you put in your house

False.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: December 31, 2014, 01:51:47 PM »

there are easy ways around this. http://www.diyadvice.com/diy/plumbing/kitchen/install-air-admittance-valve/

doesn't meet most codes, and would not meet any code installed in a wall cavity.    That said I have one on my basement mop sink.

psh. codes. what good are they anyway?

but, yeah if it was for a whole bathroom I'd say you gotta run a vent pipe. but, just for a sink and toilet? this should work fine, doesn't have to be in a wall, just put it in the vanity right after the p-trap. just make sure the sink drains before the toilet.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 31, 2014, 02:19:22 PM »
yeah we are talking about a toilet and sink here. where does all the poop go?  :Wha:

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 31, 2014, 03:58:07 PM »
Into the sewer, you hayseed

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 09, 2015, 12:13:59 AM »
Yeah, hollow doors have rails, solid wood interior frames.  So, cutting a little off the bottom shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for all the tips fellas!  This was the info that was most useful because I thought I was going to have to recore the bottom of the door and wasn't sure I could pull that off.  It took like 20 minutes.  I can't believe I put it off for so long.  4yrs  :facepalm: hope the carpet recovers

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 12, 2015, 12:07:06 PM »
O man guyz, handyman super hero story coming!

I'm spending a lovely monday morning bbs'n on the couch with lady when my doorbell rings. It's my neighbor from across the street who I have never met,  she is a pleasant maybe 50 year old woman named Evette who started renting the house a couple months ago.

She is a little distraught and tells me her pipes have burst and there is water everywhere, can I help?!? Duh, handyman super hero ben ji to the rescue.

This is all she can tell me

-Has been out of town and heat stopped working.
- Pipes have burst
- Cant get ahold of landlord cell phone.
- When she moved in landlord said water shutoff was in the front corner of her yard (lift off a metal plate to turn it off)

The only problem is her yard has not been raked all year, I come back over with a rake and spend around 15 minutes raking her yard but cant find the plate. I know that in my house the water turnoff is in the basement and her house is similar so I tell he I'll go down there to check it out....only problem is she doesn't have a basement....just a crawl space....with about 2 inches of water on the floor and more pouring down from the ceiling.

I change into some boots and tell her to turn off all breakers(water pouring over electrical wires) then head down to the crawl space. I spend about 30 minutes crawling around down there with a flashlight but cant find anything resembling a shutoff.

I come back out and tell her to try landlord again, no answer, phone off. She says he works at cerner so I have her call cerner and ask for him....about 10 minutes later we get him on the phone and he tells me exactly where the water shutoff is, turns out it is in the front yard but in a different area.

I can't get it turned off with my bare hands so I run across the street and grab some pliers to really get into it, BOOM! Water shut off, lovely Evette is ecstatic and landlord guys thanks me and says he is on his way.

:D