Author Topic: Big Apple here we come!  (Read 19650 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Big Apple here we come!
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2010, 11:53:21 AM »
Things you love about NYC that don't get enough press:
-crazy electronic store bodegas.  I mean, yeah, I'm going down to the corner to buy a laptop and an HD camcorder.
-restaurants that you wouldn't know were there unless you were told or directed to them.  Just walk right by without even seeing them.
-normal non-homeless people taking naps in public. 
-crazy rules on when to walk and when not to.  sometimes the street is completely clear but I don't walk because the locals don't.  then, sometimes, it's busy as eff and a red light and I'm walking because the locals are.  just follow them, i haven't died yet.
-the traffic lanes are not even a suggestion.  People will turn a 2 lane into a 4 lane at 50 mph for the entire day.  police car right next to the cab and they don't GAF.  pretty great.
-guys selling their underground rap albums for $5.  I am going to buy one someday to check it out.

You know I gotta be honest here.  This just burns me up.  Mrs. KK is in NYC for work and she forgets her power cord.  She calls me up and she's like all cheery and finishes with "Oh, by the way I had to buy a power cord, I forgot mine at home."  I casually ask how much it was expecting to be blown away by some amazing street vendor/bodega deal that saved us money and I get "$95.  I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW, but it was the cheapest place I shopped around."

This was probably a top 3 argument in the history of our relationship.  I just lost my head for awhile.  I promptly went out and bought all three meals that day from fast food joints.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2010, 11:55:42 AM »

-guys selling their underground rap albums for $5.  I am going to buy one someday to check it out.

FWIW this happens in Topeka quite a bit, but for around $2-$3
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2010, 12:23:26 PM »
have a bro that just moved to nyc he's always "going to tom petty tonight" or "catching pearl jam at the garden" or "just ate at the restaurant seinfeld was taped at"

your bro sounds like a dork.

You know I gotta be honest here.  This just burns me up.  Mrs. KK is in NYC for work and she forgets her power cord.  She calls me up and she's like all cheery and finishes with "Oh, by the way I had to buy a power cord, I forgot mine at home."  I casually ask how much it was expecting to be blown away by some amazing street vendor/bodega deal that saved us money and I get "$95.  I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW, but it was the cheapest place I shopped around."

Tip from a travel pro:  If you lose/forget your charger, just go to a hotel front desk and say you left your charger there the last time you stayed.  They'll have a shitload of iphone and USB chargers.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2010, 12:32:16 PM »
have a bro that just moved to nyc he's always "going to tom petty tonight" or "catching pearl jam at the garden" or "just ate at the restaurant seinfeld was taped at"

your bro sounds like a dork.

Tip from a travel pro:  If you lose/forget your charger, just go to a hotel front desk and say you left your charger there the last time you stayed.  They'll have a shitload of iphone and USB chargers.

I'll put you in contact with Mrs. KK.  I'm pretty sure I don't want to talk about it with her any more.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2010, 01:30:32 PM »

This was probably a top 3 argument in the history of our relationship.  I just lost my head for awhile.  I promptly went out and bought all three meals that day from fast food joints.

LOVE doing this as some sort of weird comfort food/retaliation type of thing.  Ladies HATE and are disgusted by eating three fast food meals in one day.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2010, 02:11:07 PM »

LOVE doing this as some sort of weird comfort food/retaliation type of thing.  Ladies HATE and are disgusted by eating three fast food meals in one day.

mint.com is mocking me right now because I went over my fast food budget.  It laughs in my face whenever I log on with its smug little:  alert.

Also, the most hilarious/best dynamic of a long-term relationship is the "you just spent $100 of our money on THAT??!  We can't just throw away money on crap like THAT!  Well now spending $100 on this."

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2010, 02:24:15 PM »
Love passive-aggressive stuff like thinking to yourself, "Well she spent $150 on CorningWare, surely I can't be in the wrong for treating myself to a chalupa-as-dessert on my way home from the Chinese Chef drive-thru."  Then you kinda hope she calls you on it when you get home?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2010, 02:25:02 PM »
Love passive-aggressive stuff like thinking to yourself, "Well she spent $150 on CorningWare, surely I can't be in the wrong for treating myself to a chalupa-as-dessert on my way home from the Chinese Chef drive-thru."  Then you kinda hope she calls you on it when you get home?

What is it with MHS'rs.  We CANNOT STAY AWAY FROM THE FAST FOOD!  WE CAN NOT DO IT!

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2010, 02:38:08 PM »
It's open lunch, dawg.  All the cool kids did it, and by the time you graduate you have a BK 2-fer-induced ulcer that hurts so good.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2010, 07:26:09 PM »

mint.com is mocking me right now because I went over my fast food budget.  It laughs in my face whenever I log on with its smug little:  alert.

Also, the most hilarious/best dynamic of a long-term relationship is the "you just spent $100 of our money on THAT??!  We can't just throw away money on crap like THAT!  Well now spending $100 on this."

This account was ridiculous.  Still laughing.*

*_FANw says I'm laughing b/c I see some truth in it.  And mint.com is pretty cool, just started it this month.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2010, 06:00:05 PM »

Is mint.com pretty cool? I want to do it, but the mrs. raquetcat is all "we'll get our cc #'s stolen blah blah blah", they use verisign don't they, so it's pretty much as secure as buying anything from any other internet site?  :dunno:
I'm purple down

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2010, 06:59:33 PM »
Racquetcaaaaaat!  Who are you?  What year did you proudly walk across the stage as a proud graduate of the Manhattan High Ihndzz?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2010, 03:48:32 AM »

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2010, 08:58:59 AM »
d00ds.  This looks horrible.

And people say Nebraska fans travel well.
6,166 (plus 5,000 tickets given away)

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2010, 09:19:42 AM »
this thread just got awesome

how come they don't have football or soccer stadiums in new york where this could be played.  ny red bull's new staduim would be kickassweome if it weren't in jersey (guess same goes for meadlowlands)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2010, 09:58:46 AM »

how come they don't have football or soccer stadiums in new york where this could be played.  ny red bull's new staduim would be kickassweome if it weren't in jersey (guess same goes for meadlowlands)
ya, it is pretty odd that there aren't a bunch of big soccer stadiums on the world's most populated area of land.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2010, 10:55:15 AM »

ya, it is pretty odd that there aren't a bunch of big soccer stadiums on the world's 114th most populated area of land.

FYP, bro!

:cool: :surprised: :cool:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2010, 10:59:34 AM »
damn i meant US, also didn't realize that our Los Angelino brethren had it worse off than our NYC PAK'rs.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2010, 11:04:24 AM »
 :weirdrobert:

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2010, 12:28:28 PM »

ya, it is pretty odd that there aren't a bunch of big soccer stadiums on the world's 114th most populated area of land.

FYP, bro!

DAMMIT, I cannot stand idly by while people throw out numbers showing NYC to be less overcrowded than it actually is.  I have no idea where the numbers on that list are from.  NYC is by far the most densely-populated large city in the U.S. -- topped only by four small NJ towns.  It's 26K per square mile of land.  (And that includes the outer boroughs.  The island of Manhattan alone is 67K per square mile.)  It's also the most dense metro area.  We're teeming with humanity here, and I won't hear otherwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population_density

L.A. only has 8K per square mile.  It's like an Iowa cornfield by comparison.  Someone does not have their stats straight!
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2010, 12:29:53 PM »
Things you love about NYC that don't get enough press:
-crazy electronic store bodegas.  I mean, yeah, I'm going down to the corner to buy a laptop and an HD camcorder.
-restaurants that you wouldn't know were there unless you were told or directed to them.  Just walk right by without even seeing them.
-normal non-homeless people taking naps in public. 
-crazy rules on when to walk and when not to.  sometimes the street is completely clear but I don't walk because the locals don't.  then, sometimes, it's busy as shazbot! and a red light and I'm walking because the locals are.  just follow them, i haven't died yet.
-the traffic lanes are not even a suggestion.  People will turn a 2 lane into a 4 lane at 50 mph for the entire day.  police car right next to the cab and they don't GAF.  pretty great.

Everything but that last one:  :love:
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2010, 12:33:24 PM »

FYP, bro!

DAMMIT, I cannot stand idly by while people throw out numbers showing NYC to be less overcrowded than it actually is.  I have no idea where the numbers on that list are from.  NYC is by far the most densely-populated large city in the U.S. -- topped only by four small NJ towns.  It's 26K per square mile of land.  (And that includes the outer boroughs.  The island of Manhattan alone is 67K per square mile.)  It's also the most dense metro area.  We're teeming with humanity here, and I won't hear otherwise.

L.A. only has 8K per square mile.  It's like an Iowa cornfield by comparison.  Someone does not have their stats straight!
hey GoSP, i pretty much knew i was right all along but wanted skinnybenny to have his "moral victory"

i didn't see any way that LA could be more dense than NYC but then again, I was just reading a story on Sunday about LA's skid row and how many homeless are crammed into that small area downtown.  who knows but i think we are right, but like i said, who knows!!  LMAO!!!

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2010, 12:35:54 PM »

FYP, bro!

:barf: sounds awful!

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 02, 2010, 03:00:10 PM »

FYP, bro!

You stay in Hutch and YOU LIKE IT. :lol:

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2010, 03:02:46 PM »

FYP, bro!

You stay in Hutch and YOU LIKE IT. :lol:
Don't live in hutch had to move out. Too many people.