Author Topic: Privatizing Education/Romney's plan  (Read 18528 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Privatizing Education/Romney's plan
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2012, 07:00:36 AM »
I see the long posts and assume this thread is similar to media types circlejerking and butthurting about media issues.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2012, 07:39:54 AM »
I see the long posts and assume this thread is similar to media types circlejerking and butthurting about media issues.

A three headed monster of swaim, scotchie, DJamer wally couldn't dream of touching the levels of butthurt heinz has displayed in this thread
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »

A three headed monster of swaim, scotchie, DJamer wally couldn't dream of touching the levels of butthurt heinz has displayed in this thread

I was thinking more of the tully/meek/etc type when somebody questions what role a newspaper should have or something, but yeah.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2012, 08:29:08 AM »
it seems like having children turns roughly 80% of the population into dumbasses

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2012, 08:41:23 AM »
i feel bad for hballz kid.  :frown:

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2012, 08:45:23 AM »
i feel bad for hballz kid.  :frown:

yeah, his inevitable rebelling is 100% guaranteed to be spectacular. 

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2012, 09:18:54 AM »
Well let me further my butthurt by dispelling a few more common misconceptions in public education.   It does not cost LESS than private education.  I'm not sure where someone got the figures for their cost per pupil but it's not ALWAYS less than the average public school.  It's around $12,000 per student – while private education most often runs from 5000 – 14000, but I’ve seen as high as 25000 per student.  Someone earlier posted the average as 8500 – and I would agree with that as that seems to be the median.  I'm speaking to Kansas only - and it will vary by state. 

Also - there are MANY different types of private schools.  To generalize them all by saying they all have the same curriculum of public schools shows you don't know what the hell you're talking about.  There are private schools that have no curriculum - it's completely open learning and the teacher is only there as a guide in a students exploration.  There are private schools that build their entire curriculum around religion.  There are private schools that follow the same core standards – but they don’t teach to standardized tests and the teachers have freedom to teach how they want in their class.

I’ll re-emphasize my point.  There are FANTASTIC teachers in the public school system. My wife, Mother & Sister inlaw are, or at one point were, in the public school system and I would consider them each fantastic teachers.  But they are not able to teach to their best ability because they’re FORCED to teach TO standardized test.  Standardized test are only necessary because tax payers are demanding to see results.  So we’ve created this pointless metric to track how well kids are learning so some politician can tout his education platform and justify his/her state taxes.   This is the very reason I feel VERY STRONGLY that the government should stay the eff out of private education.  Even vouchers are a horrible idea.  Because it won’t be long before tax payers demand to see results in the private sector – when really it shouldn’t be any of their damned business.   You want to fix public education.  Stop mandating standardized test and allow teachers to teach lessons like Stellarcat was mentioning.   If kids learned with a hands on approach and weren’t stuck with memorization and repetition methods, there would be no drop off during summer break and it would take a lifetime to forget those lessons – not 3 months.

Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2012, 09:23:10 AM »
BTW, I think everyone's opinions on my kid is hilarious and shows the main problem with public education.  People with no perspective, skimming through satirical post, and thinking they have a valued opinion on the subject.  Did any of you losers even read my post?

Counting on it.  My kid will be alot more exciting to watch than some cookie cutter kid produced by standardized tests.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:34:36 AM by HeinBallz »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2012, 09:26:07 AM »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2012, 09:28:52 AM »

so my kid can do a full front flip off the diving board this year. last year he could only get like 3/4's around but this year a whole flip. also can dive. you'd think the dive would come first and then the flip but you'd be wrong. also, hballz is way too over involved in his kids life and is kind of freaking me out.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2012, 09:29:34 AM »
BTW, I think everyone's opinions on my kid is hilarious and shows the main problem with public education.  People with no perspective, skimming through satirical post, and thinking they have a valued opinion on the subject. Did any of you losers even read my post?

let me just say…  Wow. Name calling.  Did I strike a nerve? Or did public education leave you with that as your one option when you're losing a debate?

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2012, 09:33:31 AM »
Did you read the end of the post when I predicted countless :DNR: and called my post satirical and any name calling was tongue in cheek?   

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2012, 09:40:33 AM »
Did you read the end of the post when I predicted countless :DNR: and called my post satirical and any name calling was tongue in cheek?

so when you call people names it's ok, but when other people do it, it's because you struck a nerve or because that was all public education left them with as their one option when they're losing a debate? ok gotcha. typical do as i say and not as i do parenting that is all too rampant in our society today. sad really.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2012, 09:41:51 AM »
Has anyone clarafied that Romney has no intention of privatizing education? I don't think he intends to do about 90% of what he says.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Privatizing Education/Romney's plan
« Reply #139 on: June 13, 2012, 09:49:36 AM »

so when you call people names it's ok, but when other people do it, it's because you struck a nerve or because that was all public education left them with as their one option when they're losing a debate? ok gotcha. typical do as i say and not as i do parenting that is all too rampant in our society today. sad really.

I was smiling the whole time, were you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2012, 10:05:10 AM »

Counting on it.  My kid will be alot more exciting to watch than some cookie cutter kid produced by standardized tests.

oh great. so heinballz was the weird kid with slightly above average intelligence that didn't have a lot of friends and thought he was smarter than he was and invented a little world where there was the great heinballz and then there was "society" and "cookie cutters". now he's going to raise another one just like him. break the cycle hballz, life is too short.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2012, 10:05:55 AM »
I would of loved to have been a teacher and thought about it in college but I couldnt get over how little the pay was. That being said I dont think teachers are underpaid. They get summers off, 2 weeks off for christmas, all those random holidays the real world doesnt get off(mlk day, presidents day etc) so it evens out.

If I were to become incredibly rich by the time I'm 45-50 I would probably quit my job and become a teacher. You would still be bringing in some money and would have plenty of time for vacations.
yeah than include continuing ed which is necessary for NCLB, spending more of their own money than any other profession would to make their work places (classrooms) run because people don't want to pay a fair share for taxes to support their schools, regularly spend at least 20% more time than they are contracted doing school duties, or the fact that many other people do get those days off as well and no, teachers are behind the 8 ball.

I don't think teachers are worked too hard, by any means. They are moderately underpaid, but really I think we need to stop giving kids summers off school. Just make them go year-round and compensate teachers accordingly.

Jesus Christ no.  Kids need a damn break - they're not developmentally able to stay focused for a normal school year until junior high.   You sound like a parent that wants free childcare.
This isn't true.  There is a lot of good data that suggests retention is hurt with our long summer breaks in the US.  The idea behind year long schooling is to have the same number of school days and move parts of the summer break to a longer winter break and around spring break.

But the kids need to be off for 3 months for the harvest.  (the reason for the summer breaks in the current school year)

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Privatizing Education/Romney's plan
« Reply #142 on: June 13, 2012, 10:07:48 AM »
oh great. so heinballz was the weird kid with slightly above average intelligence that didn't have a lot of friends and thought he was smarter than he was and invented a little world where there was the great heinballz and then there was "society" and "cookie cutters". now he's going to raise another one just like him. break the cycle hballz, life is too short.

That's it exactly. You guys should be psychiatrist.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:10:06 AM by HeinBallz »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 13, 2012, 10:08:54 AM »

I was smiling the whole time, were you?

you are either lying or this is the creepiest thing that i've ever read on here. smiling the whole time you wrote all of that? so freaking weird.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 13, 2012, 10:14:05 AM »

That's it exactly. You guys should be psychiatrist.

you guys? there is just one of me heinzballz. this might be worse than i thought though.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 13, 2012, 10:27:51 AM »
Am I crazy or shouldn't a kid who cannot even read at 6 be praying he can even be a factory worker?

There is zero market for someone who cannot read the english language but can parrot back informtion about wings/lift.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 13, 2012, 11:07:46 AM »
Am I crazy or shouldn't a kid who cannot even read at 6 be praying he can even be a factory worker?

There is zero market for someone who cannot read the english language but can parrot back informtion about wings/lift.
You're probably right.  I'll promptly start voting democrat so he'll at least be able to be on welfare the rest of his life.

But to get this back on track - I fear my actual opinion on the topic was lost in all the back in forth about flesh turds, so I'd like to bring this back up for everyone's take:

There are FANTASTIC teachers in the public school system. ....  But they are not able to teach to their best ability because they’re FORCED to teach TO standardized test.  Standardized test are only necessary because tax payers are demanding to see results. So we’ve created this pointless metric to track how well kids are learning so some politician can tout his education platform and justify his/her state taxes.   This is the very reason I feel VERY STRONGLY that the government should stay the eff out of private education.  Even vouchers are a horrible idea.  Because it won’t be long before tax payers demand to see results in the private sector – when really it shouldn’t be any of their damned business.   You want to fix public education.  Stop mandating standardized test and allow teachers to teach lessons like Stellarcat was mentioning.   If kids learned with a hands on approach and weren’t stuck with memorization and repetition methods, there would be no drop off during summer break and it would take a lifetime to forget those lessons – not 3 months.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 13, 2012, 11:09:47 AM »

Hein's kid can't read?  I haven't read any of this.  I can read though.

My buddy teaches in Salina.  Man, summers off.  I've got to go to court twice there next week and am going to lunchpak my face off with this dude both times.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 13, 2012, 11:37:45 AM »

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
guy I was in the frat with got his degree in education.  I was cramming for an international econ final and he had to play the recorder.

Now, he is a principal and texts me from the pool, gym and/or bar all summer.

I golf pak with him when I can but I have lots of work to do during the summer.