Author Topic: Defense (OSU adv stats)  (Read 5030 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Defense (OSU adv stats)
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 05:37:43 PM »
The baylor loss is even more painful now.

Yeah, I thought that too.

Why?

opportunity lost.  especially in reference to our play in the last 5 minutes of games. 

Opportunity for what?  To be 2 games out 1/3 of the way through the conference schedule?  Every team is going to have games they "should have won." Do they all get do-overs?  The Baylor means little to nothing to the big picture at this point.

i'm not asking for pixie dust or a time machine, simply saying that it's painful to watch a team w/ 6 players go to baylor and beat them when we had them with 5 minutes to go and couldn't close it out.  just kind of picked at an old wound.  if the big picture is winning the big 12, home losses have a lot to do with it.  but, i know, having expecations for this team is awful. and I could give two sh*ts about your "winning the big 12 is an unreasonable expectation for this team" so just save that.

lolwut?  If winning the conference is the talking point the KU loss was much more damaging.  Like I said a win against Baylor would have put us in 3rd place 2 games behind the conference leader, not exactly a prime position.  Now that we have the benefit of hindsight the OU loss was no more damaging than the Baylor loss.  Point is everyone loses teeth knashing over individual games here or there is pretty pointless.

Come on, that's part of bring a fan for 90% of fans. And I'm sure zacker is thinking had we beat BU its likely we win at OU too, but that's speculation. Both were frustrating losses and I have no problem with zacker or anyone being disappointed with either one.

So because 90% of fans do it that makes it okay?  There are many things that 90% of sports fans do/think that are irrational.  And stop changing the conversation, no one said you shouldn't be disappointed about individual losses, that isn't even what this conversation is about.  You and zacker lamented the Baylor loss because of greater impact, he specifically mentioned the conference race.  I simply pointed out that the impact of the Baylor game with regards to the conference race is no more important than the OU game or any other random game KSU, KU, KU, Baylor, or ISU will lose.  Of course losing to Baylor or any other team is disappointing, ridiculous to think anyone believes otherwise.

I think its fair to say that home losses are always more disappointing and have great impact on conference standings overall and not just for the league champ.

Besides, zacker's original post simply said to me that today's game made that loss more disappointing for the moment.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2012, 05:42:48 PM »
In that perspective yes home losses are more important, but that game can be made up.  Having that as a prevalent thought flowing a road win is ridiculous but quintessentially 'zacker.  Is your cynicism growing, _FAN?

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2012, 06:19:28 PM »
I know OSU is not good this year, but it has been so long that a win in Stillwater makes me feel really happy. 

Yep.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2012, 06:36:40 PM »
To win the big 12 you can't really have more than 2 or 3 losses and have a chance. At ku is an extremely probable loss, so that gives you 1 or 2 more out of mux2 bux2, kux1 more, at osu, at isu and any other jaw dropping fuckups you might have so if you think it isn't absolutely crushing anytime you give away a game you should have won, you are wrong.  This team is capable of beating anyone on the schedule anywhere, anytime.  Granted
winning the conference is not likely, but it is what I fantasize about and that dream ended against Baylor.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2012, 06:38:51 PM »
In that perspective yes home losses are more important, but that game can be made up.  Having that as a prevalent thought flowing a road win is ridiculous but quintessentially 'zacker.  Is your cynicism growing, _FAN?

I wouldn't say cynical, but my BBS persona has become a bit more reactionary I suppose. Probably have been getting caught up in expectations a bit too much.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2012, 06:41:07 PM »

I wouldn't say cynical, but my BBS persona has become a bit more reactionary I suppose. Probably have been getting caught up in expectations a bit too much.

Don't let him do this to you _FAN. You can be whoever you want. You don't owe MIR anything.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2012, 06:44:10 PM »
I don't care who it is, confy road wins are confy road wins.  don't take any for granted.

Offline Fuktard

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2012, 06:45:43 PM »
Hate to harp on it again after the UT game but FT's again are the culprit of this "bad" game for KSU....23-40 for us 25-29 for them.  We left 18 points at the line against UT, 17 today...while both teams we played shot lights out.  Would be interesting to see if 2 back to back games could have been worse.  Again if we hit 70-75% from the line and they hit 75% the game is a snoozer.  We can't continue to shoot FT's this bad...there is no way.

Offline salcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2012, 06:46:43 PM »
I was a yearling when we last won at Stillwater, so it feels good.  :runaway:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2012, 06:52:46 PM »
Don't let him do this to you _FAN. You can be whoever you want. You don't owe MIR anything.

It's alright, MIR is a good, knowledgable fan. Likes to push my BBS buttons a bit, but it's all good.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2012, 06:56:40 PM »
Hate to harp on it again after the UT game but FT's again are the culprit of this "bad" game for KSU....23-40 for us 25-29 for them.  We left 18 points at the line against UT, 17 today...while both teams we played shot lights out.  Would be interesting to see if 2 back to back games could have been worse.  Again if we hit 70-75% from the line and they hit 75% the game is a snoozer.  We can't continue to shoot FT's this bad...there is no way.

Not too worried, though the first half was bad. If compared to what we normally shoot, we left 3 points off the board with missed free throws which isn't neatly as bad as the UT game. This team will end up a 65% team, and now we are due for some good FT shooting games.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2012, 07:50:21 PM »
those dboarding numbers are fantastic.  that's been a huge weakness, along with turnovers.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2012, 09:06:40 PM »
The baylor loss is even more painful now.

Yeah, I thought that too.

Why?

Because I still think its a game we should've won. Seeing Missouri not just win, but really control the 2nd half, makes it a bit more frustrating. Nothing can be done about it now I guess.

Yeah,but MU is a match-up nightmare for a Zone team like BU.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2012, 09:28:13 PM »
OSU doesn't even try to oboard

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2012, 10:11:51 PM »

ford, the new, 5 star-recruiting slth.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2012, 10:14:17 PM »

ford, the new, 5 star-recruiting slth.

yeah, hate him.

catzacker

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2012, 10:31:37 PM »
If Ford gets canned, would it be a realistic hope to think we could have a shot at smart, should they release him?  I want to know how much I will be able to use it against frank when he chooses baylor.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2012, 10:32:27 PM »
If Ford gets canned, would it be a realistic hope to think we could have a shot at smart, should they release him?  I want to know how much I will be able to use it against frank when he chooses baylor.

You will get to use it at a 7 level, IMO.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2012, 11:04:50 PM »
yeah, hate him.

http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/012112aac.html

I think that kind of crap is more common with former player coaches.  irregardless he's an asshat.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2012, 11:07:27 PM »
I think that kind of crap is more common with former player coaches.  irregardless he's an asshat.

good insight.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2012, 11:08:11 PM »
If Ford gets canned, would it be a realistic hope to think we could have a shot at smart, should they release him?  I want to know how much I will be able to use it against frank when he chooses baylor.

You will get to use it at a 7 level, IMO.

pretty sure he has a redic buyout.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Defense (OSU adv stats)
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2012, 01:57:00 AM »
LOL at using score comparison to say Baylor was a "game we should have won" in the advanced stats thread. Take that junk to the townie friendly Jamar sucks at layups thread.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2012, 02:58:11 AM »
yeah, hate him.

http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/012112aac.html

Frank:

"We fouled too much, but that is more Oklahoma State. They attacked us; they took it right at us and they didn't back up a step. They were as aggressive as I've seen them all year. They have been playing real well. I was worried about this game because Travis (Ford) has them playing the best basketball they've played all year and they attacked us and we fouled too much."
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline skycat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2012, 01:57:12 PM »
Ford sounds like a FP and a guy desperately clinging to his job.

Our kids mentioned (in the locker room) how much they appreciate the fans coming out. They didn't think there would be many people, and they really appreciated the fans.

Is he saying there were more people than expected, or about the same? Because if more, then wow. That place was half empty.

We're the youngest (team) in America, someone told me yesterday.

They're not even the youngest team in the Big 12. Texas and Texas Tech have them beat. http://statsheet.com/mcb/stattracker/experience/confs?conf=big-12

I just don't grasp why he doesn't get the respect he deserves out there on the court, and I'm sick of it. Everybody is just all over him.

"Come after me, I'm a man, I'm 42."