Author Topic: RANKINGS...  (Read 130565 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: RANKINGS...
« Reply #300 on: October 26, 2014, 05:27:49 PM »
really don't understand getting worked up at all over these rankings. save your zeal for Tuesday.

As we've discussed, the committee will just copy these rankings.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 26, 2014, 06:56:52 PM »
really don't understand getting worked up at all over these rankings. save your zeal for Tuesday.

I'm choosing to be hopeful for a couple more days ok
emaw

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 26, 2014, 06:59:33 PM »

might we well save it until all the regular season games have been played, zeal bank

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 26, 2014, 07:02:01 PM »

might we well save it until all the regular season games have been played, zeal bank

that won't do much to stimulate the zeal economy
emaw

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 26, 2014, 07:05:16 PM »
Those won't matter either. We win it, we'll be selected. If we don't, we won't.

I mean if someone wants to argue that we win out and won't get selected I'll enjoy laughing at them.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 26, 2014, 07:07:59 PM »
The Big 12 has five teams in the 10-20 range (AP):

#10 TCU
#11 KSU
#12 Baylor
#19 OU
#20 WVU

Aside from the SEC West, no one faces a bigger murderer's row than that.
Add to the fact that we win out and beat each of those on the road, we can't be kept out of the playoffs.

Fact, they will not leave us out if we accomplish that.

TCU is a little underranked to me. Otherwise, the poll seems about right.

Could agree with that, but they probably couldn't get higher than like 7.

seems fine to me

Yeah

Yup, we weren't going to move, very little happened above us.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 26, 2014, 09:12:42 PM »
I think it will be interesting if there is one playoff spot up for grabs and it comes down to a 1 loss K-State or a 2 loss Auburn.

Would the entire country be outraged if an Auburn team that didn't win their division made the playoff while Kansas State went 9-0 in conference was left out?

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #307 on: October 26, 2014, 09:18:56 PM »
It's comical that uga and Michigan state are ranked higher than we are.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 26, 2014, 09:25:51 PM »

michigan state certainly. the fact they are as high as #5 is mindblowing. they have one win over a top 75 team and were beaten soundly by the only team that has any chance of reaching the playoff.

i think you could make an argument for georgia though. clemson is quietly winning, and georgia throttled them. i know people will say that loss to south carolina is terrible, but south carolina really isn't that bad. they have 2 wins over ranked teams and played auburn close.

the fact that oklahoma tripped against tcu before ya'll played them probably hurts you a little now, but by that same token will give you a bigger boost if you beat them on the road.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 26, 2014, 09:33:37 PM »

michigan state certainly. the fact they are as high as #5 is mindblowing. they have one win over a top 75 team and were beaten soundly by the only team that has any chance of reaching the playoff.

i think you could make an argument for georgia though. clemson is quietly winning, and georgia throttled them. i know people will say that loss to south carolina is terrible, but south carolina really isn't that bad. they have 2 wins over ranked teams and played auburn close.

the fact that oklahoma tripped against tcu before ya'll played them probably hurts you a little now, but by that same token will give you a bigger boost if you beat them on the road.
sak, what team are you a fan of, my man?  :dunno:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 26, 2014, 09:43:57 PM »

auburn

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 26, 2014, 10:06:20 PM »

auburn
Oh, I forgot we'd played your team.   Do you think your team will make it to the CFP?
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 26, 2014, 10:15:35 PM »

#10 TCU
#11 KSU
#12 Baylor
#19 OU
#20 WVU

Add to the fact that we win out and beat each of those on the road, we can't be kept out of the playoffs.

We aren't going to win out, dumbass.
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 26, 2014, 10:37:46 PM »

#10 TCU
#11 KSU
#12 Baylor
#19 OU
#20 WVU

We aren't going to win out, dumbass.
I thought the if was obviously implied. Guess not
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 26, 2014, 11:14:02 PM »

auburn
Oh, I forgot we'd played your team.   Do you think your team will make it to the CFP?

my gut says no. still have 3 road games left against top 10 opponents. hard to see auburn winning all 3 of them, and though i think auburn would deserve consideration even with 2 losses given their schedule, they would need a lot of help.

but if they win out, even if they don't win their division in the SEC, they'll be in the playoff.

The Big Train

« Reply #315 on: October 27, 2014, 01:00:09 AM »

auburn

my gut says no. still have 3 road games left against top 10 opponents. hard to see auburn winning all 3 of them, and though i think auburn would deserve consideration even with 2 losses given their schedule, they would need a lot of help.

but if they win out, even if they don't win their division in the SEC, they'll be in the playoff.

god i just wish i could be a fly on the wall for this kind of logic, flying unicorns on rainbows and stuff, man, must just be a rush

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 27, 2014, 01:06:48 AM »

auburn

god i just wish i could be a fly on the wall for this kind of logic, flying unicorns on rainbows and stuff, man, must just be a rush

auburn has 5 road games against teams currently ranked in the top 11. yes, if they went 3-2 in those 5 games, and 7-0 in their other games, then i think they would deserve consideration over teams like michigan state who, somehow, will probably get into the playoff without a win over a legit top 15 opponent.

even a team like kansas state that plays a pretty good slate of teams would not have much of an argument over a 2 loss auburn imo.

The Big Train

« Reply #317 on: October 27, 2014, 01:21:26 AM »

auburn

auburn has 5 road games against teams currently ranked in the top 11. yes, if they went 3-2 in those 5 games, and 7-0 in their other games, then i think they would deserve consideration over teams like michigan state who, somehow, will probably get into the playoff without a win over a legit top 15 opponent.

even a team like kansas state that plays a pretty good slate of teams would not have much of an argument over a 2 loss auburn imo.

:lol:

so i guess our road games mean nothing if we win out.  btw watch out for the week before you play the tide, damn, what a tough game before your superbowl game.  at least when we play ku its an actual FBS school

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 27, 2014, 01:28:29 AM »
did i say your road wins would mean nothing?

no, but i'd say 5 road games over top 11 teams would trump anything kansas state could do with their schedule... especially given the fact that auburn, you know... beat kansas state in their own building?

also, one of your bigger road games is against west virginia, a team beaten by a team on auburn's schedule.

i also think it is comical you mention the game before the tide.

auburn's november schedule includes 3 road games against top 10 teams. when many teams were opening up against a nobody, we opened up against arkansas, a team that laid waste to texas tech.

you can slice it however you want, but the reality is that while people whine about this great SEC bias, mathematical formulas and computers tell a very different story... a story that the SEC may actually be UNDERRATED compared to how the nation views them. take LSU for example... people were ready to dismiss them but the fact is they have a win over a top 10 team and their only 2 losses are to two teams that most computers agree are 2 of the 5 best if not #1 and #2 teams.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 27, 2014, 01:37:47 AM »
If Auburn wins out they should definitely be in the playoff (although losing by two scores, irregardlessly of who it was against is never a good look).

If they drop another game, then sorry but they're out (assuming there are 4 one loss/undefeated P5 teams).

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

The Big Train

« Reply #320 on: October 27, 2014, 01:39:51 AM »
obviously you didn't see the TCU vs Tech game

also who's sock is this?  just incredible work  :thumbs:

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 27, 2014, 01:42:09 AM »
If Auburn wins out they should definitely be in the playoff (although losing by two scores, irregardlessly of who it was against is never a good look).

If they drop another game, then sorry but they're out (assuming there are 4 one loss/undefeated P5 teams).

this is such dumb logic if we are seeking out the 4 best teams for the playoff.

if ohio state or michigan state wins out and auburn goes 4-1 down the stretch, what would either of those big 10 teams done to make anyone think they are a better team than auburn?

look at michigan state... we are through week 9 and they have 1 win over a top 70 team.
ohio state has no wins over the top 30 but have lost at home to a team outside of the top 50.

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 27, 2014, 01:43:57 AM »
obviously you didn't see the TCU vs Tech game

also who's sock is this?  just incredible work  :thumbs:

Did I say TCU wasn't a good team? Did I say Arkansas is better than TCU?

If anything, that just illustrates my point. Arkansas is the worst team in the SEC West and they still manhandled Texas Tech. TCU might be the best team in the Big 12.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 27, 2014, 02:14:19 AM »

if ohio state or michigan state wins out and auburn goes 4-1 down the stretch, what would either of those big 10 teams done to make anyone think they are a better team than auburn?

look at michigan state... we are through week 9 and they have 1 win over a top 70 team.
ohio state has no wins over the top 30 but have lost at home to a team outside of the top 50.
OK, so aside from total losses, what arbitrary metric should determine the rankings?  Total number of wins against Massey top 70 teams?  Total wins against top 20 teams?  If the latter, then Alabama (who has zero) should be ranked somewhere around "receiving votes."

My point is, I agree that Auburn's schedule is far harder than Michigan State's, and harder than tOSU's to an even higher degree, but number of losses do and should matter.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 27, 2014, 03:08:30 AM »

OK, so aside from total losses, what arbitrary metric should determine the rankings?  Total number of wins against Massey top 70 teams?  Total wins against top 20 teams?  If the latter, then Alabama (who has zero) should be ranked somewhere around "receiving votes."

My point is, I agree that Auburn's schedule is far harder than Michigan State's, and harder than tOSU's to an even higher degree, but number of losses do and should matter.

of course number of losses matter, but i'd try and think what would their records be if their schedules were flipped. i'm pretty sure auburn would be undefeated with ohio state's schedule... after all, the best team they have faced so far is probably maryland... and i can safely say kansas state, mississippi state, and lsu are all tougher than that... and could make a pretty good case for south carolina and arkansas also being tougher than maryland.

ohio state on the other hand? what have they done to make me think they could beat any good team on auburn's schedule?

when your average conference opponent is ranked about 70th and auburn's average conference opponent is ranked inside around 20.

it's not like auburn's schedule is a little tougher than a big 10 schedule. they are miles apart. ohio state's schedule is honestly a lot closer to that of a nonAQ team than it is to Auburn's... and that's something really just based in dogma that the big 10 must be tougher than X, Y, or Z when the reality is the numbers don't bear it out. for instance, virtually every computer ranking shows louisiana tech being a better team than the majority of the big 10. people might poo poo that win, and i'm not saying it is impressive... but the fact remains that when fed the set of data we have so far on this season, they are better than michigan, illinois, purdue, northwestern, indiana...