Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1083763 times)

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread
« Reply #21700 on: September 22, 2023, 11:16:58 PM »

I think the virus has changed pretty dramatically over the last 3.5 years, not to mention the vaccine for it, so I’m not sure if that point applies. I’ve never tested for flu either.

At the point you’re already experiencing symptoms I say just stay home and get better.

l feel great now. do people not test because they want to just go out and about as soon as they feel better? I want to test to protect my friends who will be traveling. They are going to Jordan first and I don't know what they might be getting into if they're sick there! (@felix_rex?)

(also covid still kills way more people than the flu although it has evolved)
I think most people don’t test because there has been pretty much no public health campaigns suggesting it would accomplish anything meaningful under the current circumstances.

I think I sympathize more with the rationale of "I don't test because it could be a pain in the ass if I'm positive" than this one.

What about the "I sometimes feel crappy, sometimes feel great and it is directly correlated to if I worked out hard or treated my body like a trashcan and may have smoked a cigar?"  I had a positive anti body test when I took a life insurance test in late '20 which meant I had it and I don't know when but I definitely did. 

Now, if I wake up and feel shitty I'm not sure if it's a hangover, I'm getting old, the canadian wildfire smoke is rough ridin' me up or maybe I have a new strain.  I never think I have to go get covid test.  I think I need to pound a ton of water and go for a run.  Or go lift.  Or, if a weekend, go crush a drink and get some sun.

I literally never consider going to CVS and paying for a test that could screw up my next week's plans.  Like, it never crosses my mind for an instant.  Sorry if I am a monster.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21701 on: September 22, 2023, 11:19:46 PM »
I test when I feel any kind of sick not obviously attributable to lack of sleep or pak’n.

The thing where you can get 4-5 free tests handed out to you by the government by mail is back now too.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21702 on: September 22, 2023, 11:34:06 PM »

I think the virus has changed pretty dramatically over the last 3.5 years, not to mention the vaccine for it, so I’m not sure if that point applies. I’ve never tested for flu either.

At the point you’re already experiencing symptoms I say just stay home and get better.

l feel great now. do people not test because they want to just go out and about as soon as they feel better? I want to test to protect my friends who will be traveling. They are going to Jordan first and I don't know what they might be getting into if they're sick there! (@felix_rex?)

(also covid still kills way more people than the flu although it has evolved)
I think most people don’t test because there has been pretty much no public health campaigns suggesting it would accomplish anything meaningful under the current circumstances.

I think I sympathize more with the rationale of "I don't test because it could be a pain in the ass if I'm positive" than this one.

What about the "I sometimes feel crappy, sometimes feel great and it is directly correlated to if I worked out hard or treated my body like a trashcan and may have smoked a cigar?"  I had a positive anti body test when I took a life insurance test in late '20 which meant I had it and I don't know when but I definitely did. 

Now, if I wake up and feel shitty I'm not sure if it's a hangover, I'm getting old, the canadian wildfire smoke is rough ridin' me up or maybe I have a new strain.  I never think I have to go get covid test.  I think I need to pound a ton of water and go for a run.  Or go lift.  Or, if a weekend, go crush a drink and get some sun.

I literally never consider going to CVS and paying for a test that could screw up my next week's plans.  Like, it never crosses my mind for an instant.  Sorry if I am a monster.

I respect your approach because it's honest. I was just genuinely wondering what people were doing because I hadn't heard much about it.

And like, this was the first time I tested since I got it last summer and I legit had it. I felt like crap. It wasn't the sniffles that could be cured by hydration or weightlifting. :dunno:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21703 on: September 23, 2023, 09:52:04 AM »
What is even the recommended protocol if you test positive now?

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21704 on: September 23, 2023, 11:01:08 AM »
I also never get resp stuff like coughing/phlegm.  If I were like hacking I would probably get a test.  As it is I am just breathing normally in my office/gym etc.  I don't think I am expelling much even if I feel crappy.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21706 on: September 23, 2023, 01:01:06 PM »
What is even the recommended protocol if you test positive now?
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/isolation.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fyour-health%2Fquarantine-isolation.html
Yikes. Yeah if I lived in an area where it was more socially acceptable to disappear for a week despite not feeling sick then maybe, but I don’t see that happening.

To me, treating COVID differently has always been tied to hospitalizations. When capacity starts becoming a concern (for any reason, not just COVID) I’ll test, mask up, and take all the precautions, but otherwise just stay home if I feel sick. And de-isolate when I’m feeling better.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21707 on: September 23, 2023, 01:17:03 PM »
is hybrid work not socially acceptable in KC? I tested positive Tuesday night, was completely offline Wednesday (felt like crap), was like half online Thursday (felt shitty but better), and in calls all day Friday. I'll definitely be back Monday (although normally I would work from home Monday).

I can see how not testing removes some guilt if you infect an elderly person or something. It would be shitty if you tested and went back on day 2 and infected someone with high risk family members at home or something. But if you don't test, who knows what you had? I get the logic, just curious if this is the normal way of thinking and I'm the overly cautious weirdo for staying home.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21708 on: September 23, 2023, 01:21:03 PM »
is hybrid work not socially acceptable in KC? I tested positive Tuesday night, was completely offline Wednesday (felt like crap), was like half online Thursday (felt shitty but better), and in calls all day Friday. I'll definitely be back Monday (although normally I would work from home Monday).

I can see how not testing removes some guilt if you infect an elderly person or something. It would be shitty if you tested and went back on day 2 and infected someone with high risk family members at home or something. But if you don't test, who knows what you had? I get the logic, just curious if this is the normal way of thinking and I'm the overly cautious weirdo for staying home.
Yes, you are the weirdo minority. You have a conscience and think of somebody besides yourself.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #21709 on: September 23, 2023, 01:21:30 PM »
Pretty sure lil sd has it. High fever and massive headache. Gonna test him when he’s not in really bad shape and will allow me to swab him. Interestingly he got it almost exactly a year ago at the KSU game Labor Day weekend. Same exact symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21710 on: September 23, 2023, 01:22:45 PM »
I am a high risk person and it would never enter my mind to take a covid test
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21711 on: September 23, 2023, 01:25:27 PM »
Yes hybrid work is common in KC
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21712 on: September 23, 2023, 01:35:59 PM »
I felt like crap for about a 5 day period and got tested. It was negative. Still don't think I have ever had this virus.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21713 on: September 23, 2023, 01:38:06 PM »
The test isn’t for YOU, it’s for others. You either have it or you don’t by that point. It’s to protect others by stopping the spread. So congrats on being selfish I guess.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21714 on: September 23, 2023, 01:52:21 PM »
If I had any inkling of being sick, I’d alert any folks I was going to be spending time with. I also have a high risk kid who has spent a decent amount of time in hospitals, but never for COVID. Rhinovirus seems to be her kryptonite, but I don’t know of folks who diligently test for that.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21715 on: September 23, 2023, 01:57:35 PM »
I would prefer it if people you know tested if they feel sick before they spend time with you

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21716 on: September 23, 2023, 02:51:24 PM »
I would prefer it if people you know tested if they feel sick before they spend time with you

It's just not something I think about, although I should. Several family members are vigilant about it though.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21717 on: September 23, 2023, 02:52:11 PM »
The test isn’t for YOU, it’s for others. You either have it or you don’t by that point. It’s to protect others by stopping the spread. So congrats on being selfish I guess.

Ok

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21718 on: September 23, 2023, 02:53:33 PM »

It's just not something I think about, although I should. Several family members are vigilant about it though.

I'm glad they are! You shouldn't need to worry about it

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21719 on: September 23, 2023, 03:01:03 PM »
I disagree, it's ultimately my responsibility. I don't think offloading that to other people is fair.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21720 on: September 23, 2023, 04:02:25 PM »
fair or not, it's not realistic.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21721 on: September 23, 2023, 04:13:48 PM »
I disagree, it's ultimately my responsibility. I don't think offloading that to other people is fair.

I think it's fair to expect people who you're close to and know what you're going through to test before hanging out with you if they recently had a cough or something. I'm guessing that's not a ton of people and it's pretty shitty if they don't.

The general public and casual acquaintances? Yeah that's more on you to either educate, avoid contact, or just let what happens happen.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21722 on: September 23, 2023, 04:35:14 PM »
 :cheers:

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21723 on: September 23, 2023, 04:40:09 PM »

If I actually had a positive test I’d stay home.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21724 on: September 23, 2023, 04:42:50 PM »

If I actually had a positive test I’d stay home.

seems like a good reason to not test!