Author Topic: CHIEFS  (Read 1509617 times)

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
Re: CHIEFS
« Reply #22275 on: January 31, 2023, 12:35:31 PM »
this made me chuckle

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22276 on: January 31, 2023, 01:14:00 PM »
Some of you seem to be forgetting that we won the game bc of a personal foul penalty…

You don’t think we could’ve gotten another 10 yards on the sideline and kicked with 2 seconds left? Or thrown it down the field and get a DPI?

All I’m saying is a penalty put us in position to win the game for all those folks saying punting was the smartest decision we could have made.  The offense was fighting for its life out there, the game was tied, and we were on the 37 yard line. It was definitely risky to assume that we were going to be in a better position to win the game than that.  Punting to a qb like burrow  with two and a half minutes left when all they need is a fg is basically an automatic loss in today’s game and going into ot down 3 wrs would’ve been no bueno… but we won so wgaf.

agree with all of that

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22277 on: January 31, 2023, 01:17:44 PM »

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22278 on: January 31, 2023, 03:41:35 PM »
Listened to a podcast today that broke down Super Bowl winners based on the strength of schedule.  IIRC, the team who had played a stronger schedule by more than 10 places was something like 10-2 or 11-1 in the Super Bowl.  I think the Chiefs were 16th and the Eagles were 30th or 31st.
link the article kat kid

I think it was in this hour of Follow the Money.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5rk6dckQnmvAYYEWedmYz0?si=1d0bfc2744fb4162
@mikec2w

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22279 on: February 01, 2023, 06:55:23 AM »
4th and 8 I was undecided as well because of how best up the offense was. I typically would not like to punt there for sure. A great punt helped but our defense playing well probably helped make the decision to punt a little easier too. Their offense was battling just like we were.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22280 on: February 01, 2023, 09:08:02 AM »
4th and 8 I was undecided as well because of how best up the offense was. I typically would not like to punt there for sure. A great punt helped but our defense playing well probably helped make the decision to punt a little easier too. Their offense was battling just like we were.

I get that, but at that point in the game Burrow can throw up a prayer to Chase and get a PI or a long completion and they're at the 50

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22281 on: February 01, 2023, 09:10:33 AM »

I get that, but at that point in the game Burrow can throw up a prayer to Chase and get a PI or a long completion and they're at the 50

Or you could get a stop and then you're at the 50.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22282 on: February 01, 2023, 09:24:21 AM »

To me the fact that the defense was playing well would give me more confidence to for it. Even if we don't get it, our defense will come through and stop them.

Even with a defensive stop and a great return on the punt, we still needed a 15-yard penalty to help get us into position for a field goal. I know we could have run one more play with eight seconds to perhaps move into field goal range, but it would have been difficult to get 15 yards on one play with no timeouts.

One thing is for sure, though, it's a lot more fun to discuss this stuff after we won.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22283 on: February 01, 2023, 09:47:10 AM »
In hindsight it worked but punting was crazy reckless, especially with the game tied. If Chiefs are up 4 maybe a diff story. I don't care how hurt they are, 87 and 15 gotta make a play.

I read some ESPN article that used some kind of risk/reward metric to say that the punt was in the 99.9% of most cowardly calls this season (or something like that).

https://twitter.com/surrender_index/status/1619889790161125376

It's high in surrender index but Jon Bois' own video on it has punts that creep into the 200s/300s. So it's high overall but like, it's an exponential graph (and why the value is so high, but not like crazy high).

It's no much arbitrary as the one post has it, he breaks down why he thinks that way, of course you can argue the value could/should change based on how he came up with that formula but w/e. Honestly it can be both things, it was simultaneously cowardly but also I think the unique position of the game, who they are playing, and why, and how sorta undermanned the Chiefs were in that drive I understand why they did it. I think the odds more favor the punt in the sense of trying to make it harder on the Bengals, but the punt algo is more driven to "should you have punted there given the fact you had the chance to win." That punt was to in my mind hope to 1) Force the Bengals to go further to get their own score 2) Give yourself either another shot (like it did) or worst case take it to OT. It did that job.

That number would've been way worse had they been down in that situation.

It's a long but good watch anyways if you got an hour this evening.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #22284 on: February 01, 2023, 09:24:56 PM »
I don’t really understand how there can even be a debate. We did it, it worked, we’re going to the Super Bowl. To me this is just a proof is in the puddin’ moment, much like a risky two-point conversion that works when fans say “I didn’t like the call, but it worked this time.” Like…yeah. It worked. For me, that ends the debate right there, just as it would’ve ended the debate the other way had it not worked. No reason to parse the finer points of the analytics book when a much better measure is hoisting the Lamar Hunt trophy and calling the other team’s mayor a jabroni.

Thought Mitch’s reaction here was funny:
https://twitter.com/_MLFootball/status/1620916926074523655?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1620916926074523655%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 10:00:49 PM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22285 on: February 01, 2023, 09:27:54 PM »
Has the im smokin on a joe burrrrrooww video from Mahomes Sr been posted? I love that crap.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22286 on: February 02, 2023, 12:28:53 PM »
Doesn’t sound like hardman will be back for the big game

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22287 on: February 02, 2023, 12:37:32 PM »
not a surprise

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22288 on: February 02, 2023, 02:09:40 PM »
I don’t really understand how there can even be a debate. We did it, it worked, we’re going to the Super Bowl. To me this is just a proof is in the puddin’ moment, much like a risky two-point conversion that works when fans say “I didn’t like the call, but it worked this time.” Like…yeah. It worked. For me, that ends the debate right there, just as it would’ve ended the debate the other way had it not worked. No reason to parse the finer points of the analytics book when a much better measure is hoisting the Lamar Hunt trophy and calling the other team’s mayor a jabroni.

Thought Mitch’s reaction here was funny:
https://twitter.com/_MLFootball/status/1620916926074523655?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1620916926074523655%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

I agree with the sentiment- you gotta fight for your right to party and whatnot. But I'm still gonna debate this stuff

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22289 on: February 02, 2023, 02:57:47 PM »
mitch is always in character

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22290 on: February 02, 2023, 05:31:23 PM »
mitch is always in character

he's the real mccoy

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22291 on: February 03, 2023, 10:01:23 AM »
Mitch is ridiculous but befitting the predominance of the Chiefs fanbase.

Fantastic at setting and informing on the actual real time game situation.  Otherwise contrived, ridiculously over the top, rehearsed and pre-planned.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22292 on: February 03, 2023, 10:20:41 AM »
Mitch is the genuine article and is an excellent match for the heart of the Chiefs fanbase.

He is also the BITB at telling the listener any and all connections a player, coach, official or team personnel has to the Chiefs Kingdom.  This was a great thing when they were shitty and games were best enjoyed while fishing, mowing or what have you.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22293 on: February 03, 2023, 10:28:15 AM »
Agree.  Simply the best at actual in game mechanics and informing people of personnel and their history.

Contrived, over rehearsed, over-the-top and pre-planned on just about everything else.  The average K-State and now Chiefs fan loves TF out of that kind of stuff, and so be it, he plays well with the majority.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22294 on: February 03, 2023, 11:12:00 AM »
I run into him a lot at high school basketball games.  Really nice guy, pretty aloof, definitely on the spectrum

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22295 on: February 03, 2023, 11:36:36 AM »
any high quality (wet dick) Super Bowl gear out there?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22296 on: February 03, 2023, 01:37:17 PM »
what IRL is the deal with dax sometimes

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #22297 on: February 03, 2023, 01:44:17 PM »
what IRL is the deal with dax sometimes

Dusty old curmudgeon with no joy in his life
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22298 on: February 03, 2023, 02:01:52 PM »
I run into him a lot at high school basketball games.  Really nice guy, pretty aloof, definitely on the spectrum

there is a Hud to Stanbot spectrum and mitch is right in the middle

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22299 on: February 03, 2023, 02:11:07 PM »
One time around April 2020 a bunch of my buds got on a zoom call and the game was to bring in a guest to surprise everyone. Unknowingly, Joel Goldberg AND Mitch ended up on the call (my guest was just a bud from K-State we hadn't seen in a while). Mitch just hammed it up with us for like an hour and was real as could be and amaze. Joel was p tipsy I think.