Author Topic: European Club Soccer Thread! (EPL, Champions League, Europa, etc... :D )  (Read 1342622 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: European Club Soccer Thread! (EPL, Champions League, Europa, etc... :D )
« Reply #17425 on: May 16, 2024, 09:59:51 AM »
I like how the first 3 and last 3 are like all feelings and subjective elements of the VAR process, but the middle 3 are legit AF complainst, especially #4.

I mean the "feelings" are completely valid fan experience/entertainment concerns. At the end of the day they are in the business of entertainment and VAR leads to a worse entertainment experience overall IMO - even if it's subjective I don't think many people would disagree with that premise.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I do.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
If they took away VAR, the next season everyone would be screaming to have it back.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I do.

you think VAR makes for a better entertainment product?

If they took away VAR, the next season everyone would be screaming to have it back.

I doubt it.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Why did they get it to start?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
To get all the calls right? Did they achieve that and is it worth it?

My counter proposal would be to add a second on field official.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I think that would be worse than no VAR or just 1 ref.

I know they have 3 kind of co-equal refs in basketball and in football they have distinct responsibilities for parts of the field, but that would require a complete re-thinking of how authority is shared.  There are just way too many scenarios where they both would need to make a call, so what are they supposed to do, talk about it on the pitch while everyone at home watches the replay and they are surrounded by players? Insane.

In my mind, the biggest weakness in VAR is how to navigate the egos of the on field ref and most of the mistakes seem to be the VAR ref not wanting to hurt the feelings of the on field ref and have them take a look so there is some continuity to the game being called.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I think that would be worse than no VAR or just 1 ref.

I know they have 3 kind of co-equal refs in basketball and in football they have distinct responsibilities for parts of the field, but that would require a complete re-thinking of how authority is shared.  There are just way too many scenarios where they both would need to make a call, so what are they supposed to do, talk about it on the pitch while everyone at home watches the replay and they are surrounded by players? Insane.

In my mind, the biggest weakness in VAR is how to navigate the egos of the on field ref and most of the mistakes seem to be the VAR ref not wanting to hurt the feelings of the on field ref and have them take a look so there is some continuity to the game being called.

VAR didn't require a complete rethinking of authority?

I think the biggest weakness of VAR is they take forever and still get a lot of judgement calls wrong or call them inconsistently

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I do.

I doubt it.

Rusty, this might legitimately be the hottest take ever on this board. You think missing obvious calls is more entertaining than getting it right?

The ubiquity of gambling makes the tolerance for missed calls even less than it was before the era of instant replay. To add to this var isn't going away anywhere else, it's stupid a.f. to think that English fans are going to not only tolerate but he happy with gigantic missed calls. Just today var had to overturn a goal in the city west ham match that was literally punched in. It was called a goal on the field. VAR obviously gets waaaaaayyyyy more right than they miss. Wolves sounded like whiny bitches and they won't get anymore than 5 clubs voting with them. This is a massive nonstarter.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It is crazy ho Chelsea turned it around. Cole Palmer is amazing. Nkunku playing instead of Nicholas Jackson is such an incredible upgrade he is worse than Antony.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I do.

I doubt it.

Rusty, this might legitimately be the hottest take ever on this board. You think missing obvious calls is more entertaining than getting it right?

The ubiquity of gambling makes the tolerance for missed calls even less than it was before the era of instant replay. To add to this var isn't going away anywhere else, it's stupid a.f. to think that English fans are going to not only tolerate but he happy with gigantic missed calls. Just today var had to overturn a goal in the city west ham match that was literally punched in. It was called a goal on the field. VAR obviously gets waaaaaayyyyy more right than they miss. Wolves sounded like whiny bitches and they won't get anymore than 5 clubs voting with them. This is a massive nonstarter.

I think missed calls balance themselves out over time. I don't like instant replay in American sports either, especially at the ends of basketball games. English fans will never be happy so might as well go with the superior fan experience

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Also, my universal replay rule for all sports is that if they can't make a definitive call in 30 seconds or fewer, the call on the floor stands.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It is crazy ho Chelsea turned it around. Cole Palmer is amazing. Nkunku playing instead of Nicholas Jackson is such an incredible upgrade he is worse than Antony.

Smoke and mirrors

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Smoke and mirrors
They do have a positive goal difference…..

Online Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
They finished sixth and trophyless. Some turnaround  :lol:   (Cole Palmer is a baller though)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
They finished sixth and trophyless. Some turnaround  :lol:   (Cole Palmer is a baller though)

Let me be clear, I don't like Chelsea, but they had a horrific season where they spent most of the time mid-table and they still will be going to Europe and Man U won't unless Man U pulls a rabbit out of their hat at Wembley.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
lol, looks like Chelsea agreed with me
https://twitter.com/paddypower/status/1792981366176370915
Now if we can get ETH's ass the eff up outta here, we can get Poch and get something going
https://twitter.com/paddypower/status/1792978747542376690