Author Topic: Worried  (Read 21131 times)

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
Re: Worried
« Reply #175 on: September 02, 2018, 11:28:19 AM »
I’m just spitballing here but maybe he’s not in shape enough to do kick returns AND play defense?  I mean I have no idea why he is returning kicks.  He did look like garbage and I would interested to see how many targets he had, because it looked like a crap ton.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 02, 2018, 11:41:54 AM »
He legitimately had a TD kick return, the block in the back was garbage. So I mean...I dunno. I guess what I'm saying is that if I'm looking for qualities in a kick returner, the ability to run one back is pretty high on that list

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 02, 2018, 12:01:49 PM »
Zuber took one to the house too and him returning kicks didn’t impact his main position.  I guess that’s my only concern, if him returning kicks leads to him playing D like he did then he shouldn’t ever return kicks again.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 02, 2018, 12:15:22 PM »
Shelley had a lot of tackles last night. After long pass completions. The guy was a containment monster.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Worried
« Reply #179 on: September 02, 2018, 12:38:31 PM »
I’m pretty convinced at this point that Sky would have won last year’s bowl game if we just left him in (obviously Delton was capable enough to win too). Sky just lives for the fourth quarter.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 02, 2018, 02:08:37 PM »
I’m pretty convinced at this point that Sky would have won last year’s bowl game if we just left him in (obviously Delton was capable enough to win too). Sky just lives for the fourth quarter.
UCLA's run defense suck(s)ed. Delton was the obvious choice in that game.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 02, 2018, 02:11:18 PM »
I think that Snyder likes scheming so much that he makes it harder on himself by recruiting slow and/or unathletic players. Like a self imposed handicap just to see if he can do it.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 02, 2018, 02:47:49 PM »
Haven’t seen much discussion of play calling out of the new coordinators. Was it the same bend but don’t break defensive scheme and short side options all day er’y day from the O?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 02, 2018, 02:59:16 PM »
Who the eff called the "Paul Rhodes run-it-don't-down-it" play should be fired. That was the dumbest play call ever.
Post game per Bill their chart indicated they needed to run it with USD having 2 time outs.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The failure t9 recognize, even 20minufes later, the idiocacy of that call, really concerns me.

They only had two timeouts and Barnes had already fumbled twice in the game. Lost one and the other luckily barely got out of bounds. Giving him the ball in that situation was so beyond stupid I don’t know what to say.

Running the ball there was literally the dumbest thing I've ever seen on a college football field. There were 54 seconds left, so let's use the dumb chart Bill referenced. We take a knee on first down, only taking 2 seconds, time out USD, 52 seconds left. We take another knee, time out USD, 50 seconds, third down, no times out left. Third down we take another knee this time 41 seconds tick off, 2 seconds to run the play, 39 off of the play clock before we take a time out. That leaves 9 seconds, we take another knee. I actually punt from the 30, it takes more time, but let's say we take a knee. That leaves USD 7 seconds to go 50 yards to get into FG position they don't have time to take because they have no time outs. Game over.

This says nothing about the previous dumbest ever thing I've ever seen on a football field, the previous play, taking that delay of game on a third and 1.

That was the most unorganized, assy, coaching display I've ever seen.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 02, 2018, 03:04:17 PM »
Haven’t seen much discussion of play calling out of the new coordinators. Was it the same bend but don’t break defensive scheme and short side options all day er’y day from the O?

The offense was exactly the same but of course we weren't going to see anything different this game. I am worried that when we got down 12 we went back to the QB runs between the tackles. It was effective but both guys took big shots.

I can't tell defensive schemes by looking at them but what I can tell you is that the DBs played much tighter when USD started hitting those quick hitters. I think that's why they didn't score in the second half, those were taken away for the most part and their receivers had a hard time separating. The quick hitters being taken away also gave the d-line more time.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 02, 2018, 03:06:22 PM »
Yeah the run call was the most Iowa State-y thing we’ve probably ever done.

Offline TheTruth

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 02, 2018, 03:09:54 PM »

Along the same lines, with the younger coaching staff I was hoping to see more emotion from the players. Watching on tv, I didn't see that either.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 02, 2018, 03:13:09 PM »
Honest question: are they actually the more talented team?  I think they might be, even if we miraculously come back to win.

Yes, they were.

No they weren't, don't be silly. If they were the more talented team they would have won by 30. They had the turnover edge 4-0, the penalty edge by roughly a billion yards, and on that night the coaching edge. Talent was the sole reason we won, it sure as hell wasn't, coaching, discipline, or execution.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 02, 2018, 03:32:36 PM »
Yeah the run call was the most Iowa State-y thing we’ve probably ever done.

It was absolutely worse than what Rhodes did, Proud Paul got unlucky along with his dunbfuckery. If he took a knee we get the ball back with around a minute left. They can't lose in regulation without two fumbles. We gave them a minute to beat us.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 02, 2018, 03:41:35 PM »
Re “the chart”: it doesn’t have a column for “# of fumbles by your RB”. Which is why it’s the job of our highly compensated coaching staff to make a decision based on taking a measure of the friggin game instead of relying solely on a laminated card. That was so ISU it’s embarsssing but at least we escaped. :facepalm:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 02, 2018, 04:06:05 PM »
Maybe this is like the 1997 Ohio game when I was all like wtf how did we only beat this team by 3 but then we went on to be awesome that year anyway?
I thought of the more recent game (201...1?) where we beat Eastern Kentucky 10-7.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 02, 2018, 04:21:43 PM »
Re “the chart”: it doesn’t have a column for “# of fumbles by your RB”. Which is why it’s the job of our highly compensated coaching staff to make a decision based on taking a measure of the friggin game instead of relying solely on a laminated card. That was so ISU it’s embarsssing but at least we escaped. :facepalm:

Exactly.....the “chart”apparently doesn’t distinguish being at their 8 yard line already.  As MIR pointed out above, we could have kneeled and left them with nine seconds, pinned way deep.  But if you do feel like you have to run it one time, you take two knees first and force them to use their timeouts.  Then, if you feel you have to run it once you do it on third or fourth down, so at least you have forced them to burn timeouts and you have run as much clock as possible.

Three years ago Coleman was the only one smart enough to realize we needed to go for against TCU.  I had high hopes that he, or Klein, would bring a little common sense to our game management.  Early results are very concerning.  This staff doesn’t seem very smart at making quick, decisive, intelligent game management decisions. 

I was also beyond annoyed that we had to call a timeout to get that two point conversion.....anybody would any foresight could’ve seen that we were going to need to go for two if we scored a td to go up one.  I mean, I realized that scenario was a possibility from my couch, and I don’t make millions of dollars to do anything, let alone coach football.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 02, 2018, 06:35:27 PM »

Exactly.....the “chart”apparently doesn’t distinguish being at their 8 yard line already.  As MIR pointed out above, we could have kneeled and left them with nine seconds, pinned way deep.  But if you do feel like you have to run it one time, you take two knees first and force them to use their timeouts.  Then, if you feel you have to run it once you do it on third or fourth down, so at least you have forced them to burn timeouts and you have run as much clock as possible.

Three years ago Coleman was the only one smart enough to realize we needed to go for against TCU.  I had high hopes that he, or Klein, would bring a little common sense to our game management.  Early results are very concerning.  This staff doesn’t seem very smart at making quick, decisive, intelligent game management decisions. 

I was also beyond annoyed that we had to call a timeout to get that two point conversion.....anybody would any foresight could’ve seen that we were going to need to go for two if we scored a td to go up one.  I mean, I realized that scenario was a possibility from my couch, and I don’t make millions of dollars to do anything, let alone coach football.

All great points, but to be fair we didn't take a time out before that two. They thought they had to because of an expiring play clock but the touchdown was being reviewed while the play clock was running down. They reset the play clock and let us keep the timeout.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 03, 2018, 08:18:37 AM »
Folks, I just heard from a reliable source that we have been scheming for Mississippi State and SD had been schemes for us. Kind of like how paper beats rock sometimes things don’t make fence and even though the rock is obviously bigger and more badass, that can get cover 2’d for a bit until the rock can get its bearings in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 03, 2018, 08:38:36 AM »
I think that Snyder likes scheming so much that he makes it harder on himself by recruiting slow and/or unathletic players. Like a self imposed handicap just to see if he can do it.

I just gasped.  How did I never see this before.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2018, 08:45:36 AM »

All great points, but to be fair we didn't take a time out before that two. They thought they had to because of an expiring play clock but the touchdown was being reviewed while the play clock was running down. They reset the play clock and let us keep the timeout.

I didn’t realize that....I stand corrected

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2018, 10:20:30 AM »
That was the most unorganized, assy, coaching display I've ever seen.

Recency bias.

Offline brandochav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2018, 10:24:19 AM »
Word...I'm still worried but this combined with legit atrocious zebras makes me feel a little better.
We need some purple kool-aid!

1. Blake Lynch made four FG's and all XP's and looked very good! 
2. Reggie Walker showed some burst.  Like the fact we are rotating DLineman so they are not dead at end of season from playing every snap.
3. McGee showed some cover skills.
4. Zuber has some skills in the return game and can be our go to receiver. 
5. We got all the crazy crap out of our system in the first game!!!
6. Skylar Thompson is very good in crunch time. 
7. Patton is much faster than Tanking and Kirby.  He will be a star after a few games.
8. Eli Walker may be the best athlete on defense.  Glad to see him on the field.
9. Our new long snappers had all good snaps...don't take this element for granted!
10. Defense pitched a shutout in the second half.

We are 1-0.  A win this week will have us all dancing. :billdance:

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 03, 2018, 11:29:24 AM »

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 03, 2018, 11:33:56 AM »
Shelley had a lot of tackles last night. After long pass completions. The guy was a containment monster.

Yes, he showed a great ability at recovering after getting beat on a first move