Author Topic: Game of Thrones SHOW thread for people who are confused by the book thread  (Read 369834 times)

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
ps, the final scene explained by the actress herself....

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/06/15/maisie-williams-on-arya-stark-the-hound-and-the-game-of-thrones-finale/

How did you play her emotional state as she walked away?

I really don’t think it was spiteful. She doesn’t purposefully leave him there to die. He’s bossed her around for so long, it’s like that final straw of, “Now you take me seriously, and it’s too late.” Her whole life, she’s been desperate to prove to people what she’s capable of. Now the Hound really gets it, and it’s too late. He has almost created a monster and it’s started to backfire on him. That’s a lot for her to deal with as well. She kind of likes him! He really helped her out, and as much as it would be doing him a favor, I don’t think she wants to kill him at all. And possibly walking away is killing him. But in “Game of Thrones,” unless you’ve got a dagger in your heart, it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re dead.

Really the writers are the only people that can say for sure. But that doesn't even really conflict with what we were saying. I'm not saying she wasn't conflicted, just that at the end of the day she leaves him because that's GOT.

I get that.  I'm commenting more on Metalhead's dumbassery that "It's not that rough ridin' hard, people. The Hound and Arya were both using each other to accomplish their goal(s)."

The reality is that it wasn't simple.  She was twisted and conflicted.  It was hard.

I disagree.

ok.  pay closer attention to the show. 

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/06/15/maisie-williams-on-arya-stark-the-hound-and-the-game-of-thrones-finale/

I really don’t think it was spiteful. She doesn’t purposefully leave him there to die. He’s bossed her around for so long, it’s like that final straw of, “Now you take me seriously, and it’s too late.” Her whole life, she’s been desperate to prove to people what she’s capable of. Now the Hound really gets it, and it’s too late. He has almost created a monster and it’s started to backfire on him. That’s a lot for her to deal with as well. She kind of likes him! He really helped her out, and as much as it would be doing him a favor, I don’t think she wants to kill him at all. And possibly walking away is killing him. But in “Game of Thrones,” unless you’ve got a dagger in your heart, it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re dead.

Really the writers are the only people that can say for sure. But that doesn't even really conflict with what we were saying. I'm not saying she wasn't conflicted, just that at the end of the day she leaves him because that's GOT.

I get that.  I'm commenting more on Metalhead's dumbassery that "It's not that rough ridin' hard, people. The Hound and Arya were both using each other to accomplish their goal(s)."

The reality is that it wasn't simple.  She was twisted and conflicted.  It was hard.

I disagree.

I pay closer attention than you do.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
I think everyone is arguing about this Arya/Hound thing because it is the easiest thing in the show to get your head around and make a point. Everything else is even more subjective.

Is this satire?  Because if not, I couldn't disagree more.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think everyone is arguing about this Arya/Hound thing because it is the easiest thing in the show to get your head around and make a point. Everything else is even more subjective.

Arya/Hound was anything but "easy" to understand.  And that's why it was a popular storyline, IMO. 

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Arya/Hound was anything but "easy" to understand.  And that's why it was a popular storyline, IMO.

Exactly.  It generates discussion because it is anything but straight-forward.  Tyrion killing Tywin is pretty simple to understand, by contrast.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I disagree.

In my defense, I'm usually reading articles about the Royals' mindblowing dominance on my Ipad while watching.   

But, ultimately, Maisie Williams agrees with me and thinks you're a dumbass.  so, thanks for shopping. 

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Exactly.  It generates discussion because it is anything but straight-forward.  Tyrion killing Tywin is pretty simple to understand, by contrast.

this.  like, the guy who's been torturing greyjoy for a few seasons now.  bad guy.  needs killing.  Cersei.  needs killing.  these are simple characters. 

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
It was a complex relationship for sure, but I also don't think the HBO writers made it an inconsistent relationship (as was argued previously).  I could fully believe that Arya would clean The Hounds neck wound and also abandon him to his own devices when pushed too far.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think cersei is a bit more of a redeeming character than most seem to. I wouldn't place her in the purely evil category.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com

this.  like, the guy who's been torturing greyjoy for a few seasons now.  bad guy.  needs killing.  Cersei.  needs killing.  these are simple characters. 
I think Cersei is a very complicated character.  From her point of view, her actions are about protecting herself and her children.  She doesn't do these things out of pure malevolence (except maybe her attitude toward Tyrion, but then again it's sort of justified in her mind).

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It was a complex relationship for sure, but I also don't think the HBO writers made it an inconsistent relationship (as was argued previously).  I could fully believe that Arya would clean The Hounds neck wound and also abandon him to his own devices when pushed too far.

I guess I just didn't see the conflict that Maise talked about.  In a book, it would be more obvious why she walked away, because her thoughts, mental state, emotions are literally explained for you.  In the show, you just see her blank stare as he is writhing in agony.  this guy who she actually likes and who she looks up to. 

in her interview, she explains that she walked away because him ordering her to kill him was the "final straw" that made her choose to walk away instead of putting him out of his misery.  I guess I just didn't see this in that scene. 

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I guess I just didn't see the conflict that Maise talked about.  In a book, it would be more obvious why she walked away, because her thoughts, mental state, emotions are literally explained for you.  In the show, you just see her blank stare as he is writhing in agony.  this guy who she actually likes and who she looks up to. 

in her interview, she explains that she walked away because him ordering her to kill him was the "final straw" that made her choose to walk away instead of putting him out of his misery.  I guess I just didn't see this in that scene. 

keep in mind actors don't always know what the hell they're doing

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

nor do internet bbsers. 

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

nor do internet bbsers. 

i'm pretty much always right, if that helps

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I think Cersei is a very complicated character.  From her point of view, her actions are about protecting herself and her children.  She doesn't do these things out of pure malevolence (except maybe her attitude toward Tyrion, but then again it's sort of justified in her mind).

Cersei certainly has complex motivations, but I think her lust for power (which might trump her other motivations) is what keeps her from being redeeming.  If all she wanted to do was protect her children, she would just hide behind the walls of Casterly Rock rather than trying to maintain an iron grip on the Iron Throne, because when you play the game of thrones, you either win or you die.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think that a lot of relationships are more complex than Arya/Hound, not that there wasn't some complexity there.

Cersei/Jaime
Tywin/Tyrion
Ned/Jon Snow
Littlefinger/Catelyn
Tyrion/Shae

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Arya: I'm not going to help you die. Screw you.

Hound: WTF? Just a couple of episodes ago you showed compassion by cleaning my wound that would have killed me just as painfully if it had festered!

Arya: I know, but now I hate you again. Maybe you did something off screen to make me change my mind. Whatever. Bye.

What don't you understand about the fact that she was using him, you rough ridin' dunce?

When d00d was bit, she still needed him.  After she found that her aunt was dead, she realized she no longer needed him.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Cersei certainly has complex motivations, but I think her lust for power (which might trump her other motivations) is what keeps her from being redeeming.  If all she wanted to do was protect her children, she would just hide behind the walls of Casterly Rock rather than trying to maintain an iron grip on the Iron Throne, because when you play the game of thrones, you either win or you die.

Well, Lysa hid behind the walls of the Eyrie with her kid and was no more redeemable than Cersei.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I disagree.

In my defense, I'm usually reading articles about the Royals' mindblowing dominance on my Ipad while watching.   

But, ultimately, Maisie Williams agrees with me and thinks you're a dumbass.  so, thanks for shopping.

Interesting, I didn't see anywhere in the article where Maisie Williams stated that she thinks I am a dumbass, but thanks for letting me know that I got under your skin. Why don't you learn Ramsay Snow's name, and then get back to me on matters related to this story.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Well, Lysa hid behind the walls of the Eyrie with her kid and was no more redeemable than Cersei.

What's your point?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
cinder blocks flying left and right in this bitch

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com

I immediately took the scene the way Maise described it. :dunno: It wasn't a blank stare to me, it was an intense studying/decision making stare.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
cinder blocks flying left and right in this bitch

I can't say it was a good morning, but, babe, it's been a great afternoon.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

What's your point?

Cersei would still not be redeeming even if she would have taken her kids to Casterly Rock and not played the game. She would still be the same spiteful, hateful person.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

What's your point?

Cersei would still not be redeeming even if she would have taken her kids to Casterly Rock and not played the game. She would still be the same spiteful, hateful person.

Well, at the very least her storyline would be very, very boring.