Author Topic: 2012 Presidential Debate Master Thread  (Read 34202 times)

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Presidential Debate Master Thread
« Reply #125 on: October 04, 2012, 03:08:33 PM »
so nobody has still explained it. i mean, romney brings up cutting federal funding to freaking pbs in a national debate, but would have no problem giving DoD whatever they want and pubs cheer nationwide.

i don't get it. admittedly, i'm insanely dumb about this so tell me what i'm not getting. i'm sure there's plenty.

2.92 million in the US military between active and reserves.  Buying votes.  No different than liberals buying votes with other government programs and trying to push through pro-union legislation.  Try to figure out what portions of the population you can get to vote for you and give them monetary incentives to vote for you. 

Both of these guys have no problem Greeceing us and future generations if it means they get/keep power.  Only difference is one tries to act like he's not doing it and the other is pandering the people who don't give a crap because they assume someone else will keep paying for it no problem. 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 04, 2012, 05:18:22 PM »
Al Gore blames the atmosphere (again) for Obama's poor showing.  :shakesfist:

Quote from: Al Gore
"Obama arrived in Denver at 2 p.m. today — just a few hours before the debate started," Gore said on his network, Current. "Romney did his debate prep in Denver. When you go to 5,000 feet, and you only have a few hours to adjust, I don't know..."

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 04, 2012, 07:12:14 PM »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2012, 07:31:33 PM »
so nobody has still explained it. i mean, romney brings up cutting federal funding to freaking pbs in a national debate, but would have no problem giving DoD whatever they want and pubs cheer nationwide.

i don't get it. admittedly, i'm insanely dumb about this so tell me what i'm not getting. i'm sure there's plenty.

2.92 million in the US military between active and reserves.  Buying votes.  No different than liberals buying votes with other government programs and trying to push through pro-union legislation.  Try to figure out what portions of the population you can get to vote for you and give them monetary incentives to vote for you. 

Both of these guys have no problem Greeceing us and future generations if it means they get/keep power.  Only difference is one tries to act like he's not doing it and the other is pandering the people who don't give a crap because they assume someone else will keep paying for it no problem.

ok. but i mean, it's more than that though isn't it? i mean that's great if he wants to buy DoD type votes by supporting defense funding and all the people that benefit from it. which are much more than just active duty and reserve soldiers btw, but why call out pbs? that seemed weird and out of place.

the gov't gave around 450 million last year to the corporation for public broadcasting. of that 450, prob half went to radio type stuff and half went to tv type stuff. of the half that went to tv type stuff, much less went to pbs and "big bird". conversely, the federal government spent somewhere around 900 billion last year on defense funding. now some of that money is for veterans as well as foreign military and economic aid.

that means that we spent roughly 2,000 times as much last year on defense funding as we did towards the corporation for public broadcasting which is the parent company of pbs.

i mean wtf? like why bother singling pbs out? i don't get it. we spend .0005 of a percent on public boadcasting as a whole as we do on defense and way, way less than that on pbs. seems so weird i don't get it. yet that was a focal point of romney's message last night.

any thoughts?

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 07:37:44 PM by rick daris »

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 04, 2012, 07:47:11 PM »

ok. but i mean, it's more than that though isn't it? i mean that's great if he wants to buy DoD type votes by supporting defense funding and all the people that benefit from it. which are much more than just active duty and reserve soldiers btw, but why call out pbs? that seemed weird and out of place.

the gov't gave around 450 million last year to the corporation for public broadcasting. of that 450, prob half went to radio type stuff and half went to tv type stuff. of the half that went to tv type stuff, much less went to pbs and "big bird". conversely, the federal government spent somewhere around 900 billion last year on defense funding. now some of that money is for veterans as well as foreign military and economic aid.

that means that we spent roughly 2,000 times as much last year on defense funding as we did towards the corporation for public broadcasting which is the parent company of pbs.

i mean wtf? like why bother singling pbs out? i don't get it. we spend .0005 of a percent on public boadcasting as a whole as we do on defense and way, way less than that on pbs. seems so weird i don't get it. yet that was a focal point of romney's message last night.

any thoughts?

I agree calling out PBS was stupid.  The point you are making is absolutely right.  Calling out PBS was him trying to act like he is going be tough on spending when he actually isn't.  They probably chose PBS just because it's something that everybody knows about but almost nobody would be impacted personally by cutting it's funding. 

If you can think of a better example of something that gets government funding and everyone knows about, but would have minimal impact on voters if it's cut, the Repubs would like you to share so they can use it in the next debate.   
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 07:50:13 PM by TheHamburglar »

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 04, 2012, 08:09:54 PM »
rick daris: they are magicians, misdirection and illusion are their entire playbook

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 04, 2012, 08:29:56 PM »

any thoughts?

Because there will be dumbasses out there that hear "450 million dollar cut" and think that it is a lot of money, despite the fact that we are running a deficit over 2000 times that.
:adios:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 04, 2012, 08:34:48 PM »

so predictable, but i still laughed really hard at this

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 04, 2012, 08:40:14 PM »
you know what's going to cost usa tax payers a crap ton of money over the next sixty years that nobody really talks about? the number of active duty military who are currently and have been getting out of the military since these wars started who have, are currently and will be filing claims for physically related issues that they incurred while "on duty". oh man. you want to talk big birds and snufalopaguses?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 04, 2012, 08:54:18 PM »
you know what's going to cost usa tax payers a crap ton of money over the next sixty years that nobody really talks about? the number of active duty military who are currently and have been getting out of the military since these wars started who have, are currently and will be filing claims for physically related issues that they incurred while "on duty". oh man. you want to talk big birds and snufalopaguses?

Totally but for some reason Obama still wages war relentlessly, creating thousands more.  I really thought he was going to end it?  Fool me once I guess.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2012, 08:58:32 PM »

any thoughts?

It had been reported earlier and kind of a big deal was made of it. I think Romney's campaign wanted it out during the debate to make sure everyone knew that Jim Lehrer may have a vested interest in Romney losing the debate.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 04, 2012, 09:05:28 PM »
I didn't watch the debate, but who won? Did fascism with an R next to it win, or fascism with a D next to it?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2012, 09:07:57 PM »

any thoughts?

It had been reported earlier and kind of a big deal was made of it. I think Romney's campaign wanted it out during the debate to make sure everyone knew that Jim Lehrer may have a vested interest in Romney losing the debate.

I agree, and that's just ridiculous. I think the average viewer is well aware that Jim Lehrer has far more integrity than either candidate.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 04, 2012, 09:17:24 PM »

any thoughts?

I agree, and that's just ridiculous. I think the average viewer is well aware that Jim Lehrer has far more integrity than either candidate.

Perhaps, but Lehrer did try to lead Obama a couple of times when it looked like he was stuck, but I think he may have just been feeling sorry for him and wanted to help.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 04, 2012, 09:23:34 PM »

any thoughts?

Perhaps, but Lehrer did try to lead Obama a couple of times when it looked like he was stuck, but I think he may have just been feeling sorry for him and wanted to help.

He also let Romney have the last word whether he spoke first on a topic or not. Lehrer did an excellent job of moving forward enough to briefly touch on all the topics, but spend more time on the topics that the candidates disagreed on.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2012, 09:29:39 PM »
I thought Lehrer totally sucked.  Didn't reign anyone in and Romney took huge advantage of it.

PS.  If PBS get cut to hell, Jim will be just fine.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 04, 2012, 09:40:28 PM »
I thought Lehrer totally sucked.  Didn't reign anyone in and Romney took huge advantage of it.

I liked that he didn't reel them in. It gave them a chance to expand on the subject and finish their explanations. 

Yeah, I'm sure he's ready to retire KSU style, but I'm guessing he's pretty loyal to PBS.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2012, 09:43:01 PM »
Pro tip: mitt isn't cutting PBS.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2012, 09:51:30 PM »

I liked that he didn't reel them in. It gave them a chance to expand on the subject and finish their explanations. 

Yeah, I'm sure he's ready to retire KSU style, but I'm guessing he's pretty loyal to PBS.

A debate is supposed to let both sides speak their positions, not the bossiest.  JL should have shut Romney down a few times but he didn't so Obama should have adapted instead of making weird expressions.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 04, 2012, 09:59:01 PM »

A debate is supposed to let both sides speak their positions, not the bossiest.  JL should have shut Romney down a few times but he didn't so Obama should have adapted instead of making weird expressions.

I liked it. They both had their bossy moments, but yeah, it's like Obama didn't know he was on split screen.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2012, 10:15:10 PM »

I liked it. They both had their bossy moments, but yeah, it's like Obama didn't know he was on split screen.

Don't get too cocky, I doubt Obama shows up this unprepared next one.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2012, 11:11:15 PM »

Don't get too cocky, I doubt Obama shows up this unprepared next one.

I know. He'll be much more animated and combative and try to make it about Romney, but he still has to defend his record as president, and that's a tough position to be in with an economy that has been slowing over the last 3 years. Bottom line, more people are out of work now than when he took office, average incomes are down, tax increases are looming, healthcare costs are up, still at war, borrowing 40 cents of every dollar, hasn't passed a budget, trillion dollar deficits, blames bush, etc, etc, etc.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 05, 2012, 12:00:14 AM »
he still has to defend his record as president, and that's a tough position to be in with an economy that has been slowing over the last 3 years. Bottom line, more people are out of work now than when he took office, average incomes are down, tax increases are looming, healthcare costs are up, still at war, borrowing 40 cents of every dollar, hasn't passed a budget, trillion dollar deficits, blames bush, etc, etc, etc.

i heard some focus group discussing who won, why and what they liked on one of the cable channels.  "i didn't like it when the president kept telling the governor about the five billion", "president obama didn't seem like he was listening, that's what's wrong with this country", "governor romney blinked a lot, he didn't seem comfortable".
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 05, 2012, 07:04:34 AM »

Obama talked for 4 more minutes than Romney.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 05, 2012, 07:46:16 AM »

Obama talked for 4 more minutes than Romney.

HEard that stat.  Seems amazing.